Hardware Should Nintendo make the GamePad optional?

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Even if you did that, there would still be a huge amount of copies already printed that have no marking indication gamepad only.

*cough* New Super Mario Bros. U *cough*

I don't think there is a list. Games that I can remember are either Gamepad only or Gamepad only for single player.

There's also Sniper Elite V2 and Phineas and Ferb: Quest for Cool Stuff games which are 100% playable with a traditional controller just like they were made for on the other consoles.

The gamepad is an important part of the console and it is a guarantee to developers

Which developers? People expected Watch Dogs on the Wii U to make amazing use of the GamePad but it turned up to be nothing special.

So anyway, while the GamePad's more important to the Wii U than Kinect to Xbox, it'd still work perfectly without it.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which developers? People expected Watch Dogs on the Wii U to make amazing use of the GamePad but it turned up to be nothing special.
Any developer that wants to make a game for the Wii U, including Nintendo themselves. Developers are already free to not use the gamepad, but right now if it is an integral part of the game, they are not limiting their market because every single Wii U owner will have a gamepad. I thought it was a mistake for Microsoft to ditch the Kinect if they truly felt it was an important part of the experience. Now developers are going to have less incentive to make games that use the kinect because there's not guarantee that everybody has one and they'd be limiting their market by requiring it. By removing it from the package, they've doomed it to peripheral purgatory.

Also, Watch_Dogs sucking is irrelevant, especially since that game wasn't made with the Wii U in mind; it was an afterthought.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Any developer that wants to make a game for the Wii U, including Nintendo themselves. Developers are already free to not use the gamepad,
Hold it! Are you sure that's how it works? I don't think what you said is true. Just like Sony is mandating all developers to include Remote Play support for PlayStation 4 games, Nintendo is mandating all developers to include Wii U GamePad support for Wii U games. That's how it works, plain and simple. Nintendo may not enforce specific functionality to be implemented, but Nintendo does require developers to assess the Wii U GamePad with Off TV Play in mind at a minimum. That's extra work for the developer in any case. We can't comment on how much it adds to the development cycle of a game, but it's still counted in man-hours that companies have to factor in making a game for the Wii U.
I thought it was a mistake for Microsoft to ditch the Kinect if they truly felt it was an important part of the experience.
No, it was brilliant for Microsoft to cut out the Kinect. They listened to the market and responded. It seemed very few Xbox One owners care about Kinect, so the added cost of the peripheral with every Xbox One hurt Microsoft, which is why they acted quickly and are now selling the console without the Kinect. Nintendo is just too proud to admit their mistake much like Microsoft has now in regard to the Kinect.
Now developers are going to have less incentive to make games that use the kinect because there's not guarantee that everybody has one and they'd be limiting their market by requiring it. By removing it from the package, they've doomed it to peripheral purgatory.
Good riddance. Same should apply to Wii U GamePad.
Also, Watch_Dogs sucking is irrelevant, especially since that game wasn't made with the Wii U in mind; it was an afterthought.
Food for thought: Rayman Legends was made with the Wii U in mind (with Ubisoft even exploring amiibo-like functionality way before Nintendo made it possible) and it still pales in comparison to the playability of, for example, the PlayStation 4 version.

Reactions: thorasgar

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hold it! Are you sure that's how it works? I don't think what you said is true. Just like Sony is mandating all developers to include Remote Play support for PlayStation 4 games, Nintendo is mandating all developers to include Wii U GamePad support for Wii U games. That's how it works, plain and simple. Nintendo may not enforce specific functionality to be implemented, but Nintendo does require developers to assess the Wii U GamePad with Off TV Play in mind at a minimum. That's extra work for the developer in any case. We can't comment on how much it adds to the development cycle of a game, but it's still counted in man-hours that companies have to factor in making a game for the Wii U.
Do you have a link for that? Not saying you're wrong, but I'd be interested to read about it. I would imagine, though, that Off TV Play requires zero effort on the developer's part and would be taken care of by Nintendo's framework.

No, it was brilliant for Microsoft to cut out the Kinect. They listened to the market and responded. It seemed very few Xbox One owners care about Kinect, so the added cost of the peripheral with every Xbox One hurt Microsoft, which is why they acted quickly and are now selling the console without the Kinect. Nintendo is just too proud to admit their mistake much like Microsoft has now in regard to the Kinect.
I was very careful to say it was a mistake if they believed in the Kinect. Personally, I didn't see much utility in the Kinect for console gaming. By removing it from the console bundle, they signed it's death warrant.
Good riddance. Same should apply to Wii U GamePad.
See, that's just you personally disliking it. Your personal desires are not the same as what is best for the console, Nintendo, and other customers. I, for one, would be very disappointed to see the Gamepad go away. It has a lot of potential for unique gameplay opportunities.

Food for thought: Rayman Legends was made with the Wii U in mind (with Ubisoft even exploring amiibo-like functionality way before Nintendo made it possible) and it still pales in comparison to the playability of, for example, the PlayStation 4 version.
Says who? The Wii U version has a higher score than all other versions on GameRankings and both the Critic and User scores on Metacritic.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Do you have a link for that? Not saying you're wrong, but I'd be interested to read about it. I would imagine, though, that Off TV Play requires zero effort on the developer's part and would be taken care of by Nintendo's framework.
I don't. I'm basing what I said on conjecture.
See, that's just you personally disliking it. Your personal desires are not the same as what is best for the console, Nintendo, and other customers. I, for one, would be very disappointed to see the Gamepad go away. It has a lot of potential for unique gameplay opportunities.
Are you kidding? I love the Wii U GamePad! I use it all the time especially for Off TV Play. However, I have learned to both appreciate a product and be critical of it. As much as I like it, I don't see it being an integral part of my experience. Your comment comes off a bit like "you're holding it wrong" if you get my reference. There are so many things wrong with the Wii U, in my opinion, that I can't just sit down ignoring everything. And I say that as someone who uses a Wii U Fit Meter daily, plays Smash Bros. with a GameCube controller, and wears Link's scarf that came with the limited edition of Hyrule Warriors, in real life. Yup, I'm that guy.
Says who? The Wii U version has a higher score than all other versions on GameRankings and both the Critic and User scores on Metacritic.

From Digital Foundry:
The modified Wii U gameplay mechanics mostly come off as a complete success on the 360, PS3 and PC, and the increased focus on more traditional Rayman gameplay in these sections makes for an equally compelling alternative, if not the preferred choice for the more traditionalist gamer not that keen on touchscreen or motion-based gameplay features.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm torn on this. On one side I'm fond of the gamepad but, just like Wii, I view the Wii U as a "swiss army knife" game console. I think ALL Wii U games should support a minimum of 4 control options, allowing the gamer to play at their comfort level. We have:

The Gamepad
Pro Controller
Classic Controller
Wii Remote and Nunchuck
GameCube Controller/ fight pads

for serious gaming. The Gamepad and Remote/Nunchuck combo should ALWAYS be supported to give people the option of motion or none. Afterwards the developer can chose between the other three.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't. I'm basing what I said on conjecture.
You should phrase it as such, then.
Are you kidding? I love the Wii U GamePad! I use it all the time especially for Off TV Play. However, I have learned to both appreciate a product and be critical of it. As much as I like it, I don't see it being an integral part of my experience. Your comment comes off a bit like "you're holding it wrong" if you get my reference. There are so many things wrong with the Wii U, in my opinion, that I can't just sit down ignoring everything. And I say that as someone who uses a Wii U Fit Meter daily, plays Smash Bros. with a GameCube controller, and wears Link's scarf that came with the limited edition of Hyrule Warriors, in real life. Yup, I'm that guy.
If you love the gamepad so much, then why "good riddance"?

So a single source says that the traditional controls are "equally compelling". Don't see how that translates to how the Wii U control "pales in comparison"

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
If you love the gamepad so much, then why "good riddance"?
Because just like the initial Kinect with every Xbox One Bundle, I see the Wii U GamePad as more of a novelty than necessity. It's very nice to have the map or inventory of a game on a second screen, it's also cool to use it for the internet / YouTube / Netflix, etc. However, I've yet to see a game on the Wii U use the GamePad to the extent that I deemed the experience a must have. I feel different about the Wiimote, because when I played Skyward Sword I was taken by the added immersion of the motion controls and 1:1 swordplay. I love playing Wii Sports Club on the Wii U because that's pretty much the flagship Wii game only in HD and refined controls. I think Nintendo should've stuck with the Wiimote for a bit longer. I don't feel the Wii U GamePad adds to the immersion as much. It is bulky and heavy for a controller, not as comfortable as the Wii U Pro Controller when playing for any longer period of time than 15 minutes. Whenever its use is forced, it feels like a burden. E.g. I'm playing Super Mario 3D World with a Wii U Pro Controller, jump into a Captain Toad level and the game forces me to switch to the Wii U GamePad when 99% of the time the level could be completed with the Pro Controller alone. That's how I feel about it. Certain games will no doubt be awesome for it, like Mario Maker using the touch screen for level creation/editing. But then again, why are such features not used in other games properly? The level editor in Smash Bros. for Wii U is horrible. It's also funny that you can use the touch screen for the level editor, but you can't make menu/navigation selections in the main game. So it's like Nintendo themselves don't care about the Wii U GamePad either.
I'm torn on this. On one side I'm fond of the gamepad but, just like Wii, I view the Wii U as a "swiss army knife" game console. I think ALL Wii U games should support a minimum of 4 control options, allowing the gamer to play at their comfort level.
Honestly, if developers could be pursued into adding all of that extra support for Wii U games, that'd be a selling point. However, we all know that's not going to happen. Furthermore, most games seem to be developed with a certain contoller in mind, e.g. Smash Bros. for Wii U is definitely better played with a GameCube controller than a Wii U Pro Controller (preferences aside, strictly talking about control layout).

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It's too late to change now because the GamePad's integrated into the system and most games require it, but I hope that Nintendo learns their lesson for their next console.

Would I have preferred it if the GamePad wasn't itself a part of the console? Yes. Is it annoying that the GamePad is always running regardless on whether or not you are using it? Yes. Is it annoying that I have to constantly switch to the GamePad for segments of games that require it? Yes. But it's for all of these reasons that every Wii U has to be accompanied with a GamePad.

Reactions: shinkodachi

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
this thread again. for the last time you can't have the gamepad as an extra it's a critical part of the wiiu and how it operates. you can't even go into the settings without it.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
It's too late to change now because the GamePad's integrated into the system and most games require it, but I hope that Nintendo learns their lesson for their next console.

Would I have preferred it if the GamePad wasn't itself a part of the console? Yes. Is it annoying that the GamePad is always running regardless on whether or not you are using it? Yes. Is it annoying that I have to constantly switch to the GamePad for segments of games that require it? Yes. But it's for all of these reasons that every Wii U has to be accompanied with a GamePad.

This sums it up nicely. So I'm not alone thinking it's a necessary evil?

I have to say that when I had the GameCube and the Wii was still known as "Revolution" to the media, I was off put by the fact a Revolution won't have HD. That's why I skipped the Wii and bought a PS3. However, I was proven wrong as the Wii soared sky high with its quirky Wiimote. So imagine my disappointment when Nintendo didn't stick to its guns and make a Wii HD, instead introducing yet another new control scheme that's very different to what they had before. I'm still standing by this point despite buying the Wii U two weeks prior to the release of the PS4. (It was a conscious decision, and I used my cancelled pre-order of the PS4 to pay for the Wii U.)

A bit of perspective:
evolution-of-nintendo-controller.gif

ps-controller-evo.gif

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because just like the initial Kinect with every Xbox One Bundle, I see the Wii U GamePad as more of a novelty than necessity. It's very nice to have the map or inventory of a game on a second screen, it's also cool to use it for the internet / YouTube / Netflix, etc. However, I've yet to see a game on the Wii U use the GamePad to the extent that I deemed the experience a must have. I feel different about the Wiimote, because when I played Skyward Sword I was taken by the added immersion of the motion controls and 1:1 swordplay. I love playing Wii Sports Club on the Wii U because that's pretty much the flagship Wii game only in HD and refined controls. I think Nintendo should've stuck with the Wiimote for a bit longer. I don't feel the Wii U GamePad adds to the immersion as much. It is bulky and heavy for a controller, not as comfortable as the Wii U Pro Controller when playing for any longer period of time than 15 minutes. Whenever its use is forced, it feels like a burden. E.g. I'm playing Super Mario 3D World with a Wii U Pro Controller, jump into a Captain Toad level and the game forces me to switch to the Wii U GamePad when 99% of the time the level could be completed with the Pro Controller alone. That's how I feel about it. Certain games will no doubt be awesome for it, like Mario Maker using the touch screen for level creation/editing. But then again, why are such features not used in other games properly? The level editor in Smash Bros. for Wii U is horrible. It's also funny that you can use the touch screen for the level editor, but you can't make menu/navigation selections in the main game. So it's like Nintendo themselves don't care about the Wii U GamePad either.
You haven't seen any games that necessitated the gamepad? How about Nintendoland with the asymmetric multiplayer gameplay? ZombiU that had you manage your inventory and perform actions in real-time on the gamepad while still being able to look over your shoulder on the TV to see if Zombies are coming at you? I also really liked the E3 demos I saw, too. Project Guard showed off a way to make a seemingly single-player game that involves the entire room. If Ubisoft hadn't killed my love for the Splinter Cell franchise, I'd have loved to been able to use the gamepad to monitor the sticky-cams like I could with the GBA connectivity of the Gamecube back in the day (but, you know, with something that can do a bit better than the low res, low refresh rate we got back then). If the gamepad is an optional peripheral, then the gamepad doesn't get support and goes the way of the Playstation Move.

If you want more games to have the option to use the Pro controller when the particular game does not necessitate the functionality of the gamepad, I'll support that. If you want condemn the gamepad to the peripheral purgatory the Kinect and Move have been doomed to, I don't see how you can say you love it.

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
Instead of trying to get rid of it, I would've liked to see more games taking fucking advantage of the thing instead of keeping it an map/inventory.
Games to this point that has taken advantage of the thing are Trine 2 (which I would favor over PC version if it also had 1080p stereoscopic 3D) and Nintendo Land, Wind Waker HD for aiming. From what I heard even the Swapper simply uses gamepad for map only when they could've easily implemented mouse like accuracy for making clones!

Maybe I'm too naive or something, but I seem to see potential in everything that everyone else say is gimmick including motion plus and stereoscopic gaming (which is base for virtual reality funnily enough).

ZombiU
Lego City Undercover
Deus Ex human revolution.
Sonic Lost World.
Rayman Legends
Nintendo Land
Game and Wario
Deus Ex and Rayman Legends are perfectly playable with controller only on other consoles and PC. Sonic Lost World I was actually amazed why they force using gamepad when it's perfectly playable with buttons only.
Actually, they tried to emulate touchscreen on PC re-release of Deus Ex with some new Intel second screen controller, but wasn't ready for release and would've been pointless because of mouse. Now I can't even find the bloody thing on Intels site anymore.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
this thread again. for the last time you can't have the gamepad as an extra it's a critical part of the wiiu and how it operates. you can't even go into the settings without it.

Most of the features and games are perfectly functional with a traditional controller were they to make them compatible with such controller.

It makes no sense that such an essential mode (Settings) is limited to being used through the GamePad when the other consoles all control it via a traditional controller.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I didnt have school today