Hardware Should I wait to purchase the Switch?

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ordered mine but I guess I will sell it for double price on Ebay if this can be done. If not I cancel the Order.

I was hyped the Switch was shown but now.... Zelda can be played on WII U (as a "Backup") and yeah the rest are cheap copies of old games that are also out on PC.

So unless they bring some amazing stuff I guess I wait. Only reason to get a Early one is to crack it at later point :P
The going sold price on eBay for preorder units is right about $400. At that price it doesn't seem like it would be worth the hassle to scalp one, considering taxes, time and risk. If they creep higher that can change.

In my opinion there has almost never been a good reason to own a launch box. Exceptions being something like a gamecube ported Wii or a specific color of something. But other than that, almost every generation's launch hardware has some sort of bugs. RRoD being the most imfamous and never even fixed until the late cycle xbox slim, YLoD for the fatty ps3s, and even launch PS4s had some disk chewing errors and overheating.

Agree about the hardware, the exception also being the games. In my case it is really about Splatoon 2. I want it and I want it now. :)

I imagine it takes at least 6-9 months for any issues to arise, get corrected in manufacturing and revisions to hit the shelves. So even delaying until the holiday season will likely not make a difference in this case. Except for price/packin game maybe.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't believe in selling Wii Us. It was cranky, very loud, and wasn't welcoming to the guests, but it was by my side all its life, I will bury it myself.

Reactions: Xzi

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think i might end up selling mine in the end.
but what do you guys think ?
Hell no. VC, GCN, Wii, Wii U all in one system? You are not going to get that with the Switch. If you don't care about any of that then sure, why not?

Sell the discs if you must.

Last edited by thorasgar,
Reactions: leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
Hell no. VC, GCN, Wii, Wii U all in one system? You are not going to get that with the Switch. If you don't care about any of that then sure, why not?

Sell the discs if you must.

this is what holds me back into selling the console tbh.

since i do not own a Wii, my Wii U plays wii/ngc/vc's and wii u games ofcourse XD
maybe i will just keep it and get a switch later this year, it will then have more games as well.

is it confirmed that the switch will not be able to play Wii/Wii U games ? o_o

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

since i do not own a Wii, my Wii U plays wii/ngc/vc's and wii u games ofcourse XD
maybe i will just keep it and get a switch later this year, it will then have more games as well.

Well besides the fact a disc is wider that the Switch is tall? :)

It may some get some ports, and I wouldn't bank on a hack anytime soon. Do you want to pay again for those ports? I don't.

Reactions: leonmagnus99

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The going sold price on eBay for preorder units is right about $400. At that price it doesn't seem like it would be worth the hassle to scalp one, considering taxes, time and risk. If they creep higher that can change.
Yea i had thoughts about trying to get another preorder and sell it off but i check my ebay calculator and its not a big profit.
selling price $500
free shipping
real shipping cost $20
item cost $325 (switch after US tax, im in TX and tax is higher )

Fees for the normal guy (meaning no discount or business account)
paypal fees $14.80
ebay fees $50.00

profit $90.20 (if you charge them full shipping price your end up with est $108 profit)

So yea thats not that good for me, Alot of work to hunt down a switch preorder all for $100.
Now if i had a few of them like 4 perorders then yes. They would end up paying for more of my own preorder stuff.
---------------------

Also i wonder how many switchs will be out after launch day. I know all the preorders are gone now. But on March 4 or 10th how many will be in stock .
I got burnt on the BestBuy Zelda New3ds and had to order one from ebay. (cost $100 more, but long story short i ended up only out of pocket $30) But what made me upset was waiting for the guy to get the preorder mail to him then him repacking it and mailing it to me. So didnt get it for about a week later.

Which i wonder when i will get my switch preorder. Paid for 2day shipping but since the Switch is a friday release, I wonder when it will be ship and comes.
If it ships the 3rd i wont get it til the 7th :(

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
Well besides the fact a disc is wider that the Switch is tall? :)

It may some get some ports, and I wouldn't bank on a hack anytime soon. Do you want to pay again for those ports? I don't.

true, Mk8 deluxe ehem.. i already have bought that for the WiiU (purchased my wii u bundled with Mk8 and SSb4 from BestBuy).

when i think of some port of SSb4 for switch , it will be very dissapointing.. MK8 Deluxe is the same thing as MK8 so hm:/ defintely not buying that.

i hope they make a new SSB at least, that can take a few years though i guess.
and yes switch is cartridge based, but i was thinking maybe it would be backwards compatible but now the more i watch videos about the switch the more it looks like they moved away from Wii/WiiU completely.

just brought some of its already released games over to the switch , oh well.
i think i will just wait then.

Miles54321

Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country

Never sell a Nintendo system, they are hackable and beautiful devices
You can save a lot of money big time too, thats the reason i got a 3ds, i dont think i would have got a wii if i couldn't hack it

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think the Wii might be the last sellable system for a while. You could sell a GameCube and play everything on the Wii, and you can sell your Wii once you transferred everything to your Wii U (and got your GameCube games and saves backed up). The Wii U's games cannot be played by a Switch, and we don't know if the "Switch U" will for sure be bc with the Switch, let along if it will finally play Wii U to ngc games.

ikral

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I'll get Switch eventually because I want to play Zelda, hopefully it gets more interesting games and maybe emulator so I can enjoy it during night shifts and weekends at work. Still got many games to finish on 3DS and Wii so no hurry for me.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's definitely not overpriced. $300 is one of the lowest launch prices ever. People here have spent $400+ on multiple 3DS systems, and that's a 240p screen.
Well, for the market it tries to cover it is overpriced IMHO. No matter the actual production cost.
Yeah, sure some buyers are exceptions to the rule and spend $400+ on a video game system alone, but I am very sceptical of the real demand for a Nintendo system without bundled games for $300+.
When there is more offer than demand, the system is by definition overpriced.
We still can't talk about real market conditions, the system is not freely buyable and we still have the typical reduced stock related to a system launch, but that situation can't last. When enough systems are produced and Nintendo wants to sell them we will be able to see if the price was right. That may be perhaps after June.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Well, for the market it tries to cover it is overpriced IMHO. No matter the actual production cost.
Yeah, sure some buyers are exceptions to the rule and spend $400+ on a video game system alone, but I am very sceptical of the real demand for a Nintendo system without bundled games for $300+.
When there is more offer than demand, the system is by definition overpriced.
We still can't talk about real market conditions, the system is not freely buyable and we still have the typical reduced stock related to a system launch, but that situation can't last. When enough systems are produced and Nintendo wants to sell them we will be able to see if the price was right. That may be perhaps after June.
Well there's not more supply than there is demand. 2+ million isn't a small number by any means for initial stock in the month of March, either. I doubt they expected to sell out.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since I'll be playing Breath of the Wild on the Wii U, I'm not at all impressed with the Switch-exclusive game library. The only game that's at all tantalizing is Super Mario Odyssey, which doesn't come out until Q4, and I probably won't get a Switch until it has more than that to offer.

Reactions: ikral

Miles54321

Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country
Since I'll be playing Breath of the Wild on the Wii U, I'm not at all impressed with the Switch-exclusive game library. The only game that's at all tantalizing is Super Mario Odyssey, which doesn't come out until Q4, and I probably won't get a Switch until it has more than that to offer.

Then switch 2018 for you I guess, by then more will have jumped on board for sure, it looks like a good system so we are waiting for the 3rd party
Zelda, Splatoon 2 and Mario will move systems
Xenoblade 2, Fire emblem warriors and Sonic Mania and Sonic 2k17 are good titles

The system will have a nice first year, Zelda and Mario will keep players busy for a while, I could get the sonic games for switch cus then i'll be able to play them anywhere, we'll see
The idea is brilliant

ehnoah

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Switch has Plenty of Stock in EU / Germany. Just 10 bucks expensiver. So at least in EU it is easy to get one. But yeah, as many people stated. Only real reason to buy one now is, that it might get hacked.

Miles54321

Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country
Gameseek will be selling the Nintendo Switch in neon red/neon blue for £198.50 - making you a saving of £81.49.

On the store's website a statement on the offer reads: "Gameseek is happy to announce that our customers will have another chance to pre-order the highly anticipated Nintendo Switch console at £198.50 before release day.

"You may remember our big news last month, following the Switch reveal by Nintendo, where we confirmed that we'll be honouring pre-orders from customers that purchased the Nintendo Switch from us at £198.50 - over £80 lower than the £279.99 RRP.

"This time we will be doing the mega offer on the neon red/neon blue Nintendo Switch consoles. We can also guarantee that the customers who pre-order at £198.50 will have their Switch consoles dispatched before release day!"

The site suggests that anyone wanting to secure their Nintendo Switch at a knockdown price needs to register for a stock alert via their website to avoid any disappointment.

Read more at http://www.scunthorpetelegraph.co.u...0146029-detail/story.html#oXOLQtRf0M5Yt4Ug.99

Will this mean that they will be available for £198 ONLY DURING Pre-orders
or will it be available for £198 afterwards (and when stocks are there), if its the former I may pre-order but have no way of knowing

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Well there's not more supply than there is demand. 2+ million isn't a small number by any means for initial stock in the month of March, either. I doubt they expected to sell out.
is those 2 millions world wide or just the US? My localstores still say you can pre-order. None so far have said it's fully pre-orded. (My flag say it all)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and yes ik im stupid for using it