Hardware Should I wait to purchase the Switch?

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
One rule of thumb for anyone considering pre-ordering:

If you care most for Nintendo exclusives and could afford two or more Switch consoles still having enough money for everything else you need, then buy one and promote it to your friends.

It's the best for everyone if some people get momentum on the console going to help it become awesome, even though it takes time for that.
I'll definitely buy one at launch and hope I'm doing a good job at "making Nintendo great again".

I'm waiting on the Switch for games I know I really want. The Wii U turned out to be an expensive mistake.
So, which are those games? Can't say the Wii U didn't have some nice Nintendo exclusives, so I'm kind of lead to believe that's not what you are even looking for. Then you might want to skip Ninty consoles at all, bro.

Last edited by Axido,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wait until the price is right, or until they at least bundle it with some good game for the same price. I would say wait until Christmas 2017 and then it will probably be cheaper and there will actually be a good selection of games to get.

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
They need to release fallout 3 on this so bad.

If that's what you want just buy a Windows tablet PC and use one of those:
1.jpg

It's cheaper and gets you more third-party games than any handheld.

Reactions: Deleted-355425

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So, which are those games? Can't say the Wii U didn't have some nice Nintendo exclusives, so I'm kind of lead to believe that's not what you are even looking for. Then you might want to skip Ninty consoles at all, bro.

I liked the Wii U exclusives. The problem was there wasn't enough content. I have 15 Wii U games that's not going to increase, some I like (Bayo2, Mario 3D World), some were disappointing (Tokyo Mirage Sessions made me :(). I have 17 PS4 games and that will increase this year (Hatsune Miku, Persona 5, Nier, Horizon, Gravity Rush 2 etc). The Switch needs games and genre variety.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

If you care most for Nintendo exclusives and could afford two or more Switch consoles still having enough money for everything else you need

Great advice! Even if one doesn't own the console/handheld getting the games is still worth it, if he/she can. I've been buying sealed 3DS games even though I don't own a 3DS right now (I'm planning on buying the Extreme Butoden New 3DS pack) as they can and will become hard to find or the price hikes up.

1.jpg

Looks like a third party company took Nintendo's WiiU top right analogue stick example. Meh.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1.jpg

Problem is then you're stuck with Intel Graphic and even if you get a good one it'll overheat quickly.

Ulieq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
switch has an uphill battle vs. 3ds and xbox/ps4. I would just wait to make sure games arrive. For Wii U, we were lied to about the games that were supposed to be out, especially dragon quests.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
I find nintendo hardware to be one of the few things to not wait to buy.
To me, their portables have always been the exception. They are typically so much better in their second major hardware revisions (original DS = ugh, original 3DS = ugh).

If we think about how important the Switch is for Nintendo at this point in time, I don't think failure will be an option for them: every action will be taken to make sure they don't fail this time. So it will live well beyond a few years. Being a portable I think it will get a major hardware revision for sure. Even though I still think this thing has no chance in hell of catching up to their competitors, I can see it being a medium-seller for them: it's different enough for medium sales.

I get that 'not-quite-ready' feeling with the Switch hardware, even though I haven't touched it. Battery life can be better, for one. With the Wii U, early on we knew it wasn't selling well. Here in Australia there were some 'flash' sales that would see its price drop far cheaper than it is selling now, just to move inventory quickly after the non-demand. It didn't really improve after that. So to me, all indications pointed to a major revision of Wii U as debatable. It was failing. And you could see it clearly from the retail visibility standpoint.

I just can't see Nintendo selling this (identical hardware) Switch 3 years from now: it's just not gonna happen without some major hardware revision, in my opinion. Nintendo will probably increase the storage, change the look, tweak CPU & improve battery life as bare minimums. Of course taking advantage of lovely cost reductions as they go along.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo consoles never had upgrades before (please dont argue about it being a handheld, at best its a hybrid) and the differences between 3DS and New 3DS is not worth crying over.

The closest thing I can think of was the Panasonic Q for Gamecube which added DVD support but that was only in Japan and didnt add much too gaming.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo consoles never had upgrades before
The Wii got the family editions (no gamecube ports) to reduce costs. And now the Wii Mini too. Again cost reductions. Not really anything that users will benefit from, unless it's more refined / reliable hardware or hardware that sips less electricity (which Nintendo have been good at; the Wii U sips around half the power of the PS3 & Xbox 360 & the underpowered Wii was very good at this too).

(please dont argue about it being a handheld, at best its a hybrid) and the differences between 3DS and New 3DS is not worth crying over.
The fact that the Switch is made to be used totally portably (unlike the Wii U) means it is subject to the constraints of the portable world (battery life, efficiency, size, etc.), so in that sense it must play by the same constraints of the Game Boy/DS/3DS/PSP/Vita models. And in my opinion it will get a major hardware revision for sure, being in this world. Why? Because there are more constraints (such as size, battery life, screen quality, etc.) and more urgency to perform better as a portable.

In my opinion, the New 3DS was everything the original 3DS should have been. More reliable 3D, far more refined hardware...etc. They surprised me just how much attention they gave this revision. I guess poor initial 3DS sales do this to a company. On a personal level, just looking at the tacky first-gen hardware is probably one of the most effective ways to torture me: there is so much about the design that is repulsive to me (both on an aesthetic & usability level). It's better that I stop now, for my own health.

The closest thing I can think of was the Panasonic Q for Gamecube which added DVD support but that was only in Japan and didnt add much too gaming.
Yeah, not so much a hardware revision as an agreement with their optical drive manufacturer to sell the Gamecube with DVD support, something that Nintendo were too tight to pay royalties for (Nintendo's short-sighted smaller-disc Gamecube policy hurt them too). The Panasonic was high-priced too (probably had to be, according to the contract with Nintendo...). Anyway, the Switch is a true portable, so it will get a revision for sure. See you back here in a few years :)

Last edited by foob,

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not buying one at launch. No way. I finally learned my lesson with the DS.

I will start buying games for it though. I know that sounds odd, but physical copies of Nintendo 1st party games are usually money well spent.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
what if its a total flop?
Total flop is already behind them (Wii U).

Nintendo would have to be crazy to let that happen again. They probably have 3 back-up plans if the Switch doesn't do as expected. Crucially, I believe they can 'massage' the price of this thing quite a bit more than their competitors are prepared to. In other words, I think this thing is far cheaper to make than the PS4 and Xbox One. Nintendo won't do a Sony Vita: push the envelope too much & then price themselves out of the market with memory. They must be extra happy that Sony is out of the picture now: that's another reason why it won't be a total flop.

What's interesting to me is how Sony & Microsoft will react to the Switch (if they do at all). Both now have no portable gaming products that directly compete with the Switch. As a home console, they aren't really threatened, I think. But there has to be some activity inside Sony now, I would think. They have traditionally been very (very) strong with portable hardware. There must be a lot of frustrated engineers inside Sony now.

Justin20020

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I pre-ordered with zelda and bomberman. Its bad that mario kart and super mario odyssey will not released at launch of the switch.. first, i wanted to buy a wii u but then, the switch was announced

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: What the hell was that Syl?