test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
i think it has some games that might tempt a player (mostly Ps2 players).
but its 3D graphics is not as good as PS2 (as i seen) and its buttons as its users say, is kinda hard to use.
and its homebrew emulators are currently better than DS.
but dont sell your DS for a PSP, you'll regret it.

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
Pros:
99% PS1 game compatibility
Old PS1 RPGs (and others) on long trips = WIN
Better emulation than the DS overall
Tons of cool homebrew
The PSP is starting to see some better releases than the average PSP game
Audio and Video players built in (screw moonshell and DPG
tongue.gif
)

Cons:
The average PSP game sucks, but there's some good ones (but still not as many good PSP games as there are DS games)
Not as easy to hack as it is to pop a slot-1 card into a DS
Some of the homebrew stuff isn't as simple as drag and drop, but if you're very comfortable with computers then you should have no problem getting use to it.
Memory Stick Pro Duos are a bit expensive. Eg. 1G microSD costs about $10 USD, but a 1G MSPD costs around $20 USD (where I buy them anyway).

Ways:
Pandora Battery
Buy one already hacked (trading forum, ebay, etc)
Use GTA or Lumines exploit (older firmware versions only)

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I thoroughly recommend getting a PSP, it has a tonne of great games.

Also the emulators and other homebrew apps on it are really great, I use the ebook reader and heaps of othere.

Modding it is simple you just need to install custom firmware and run isos from a decent sized memory stick.
The PSP slim needs a few more items (Pandora's Battery, Magic MemStick OR another Custom Firmware PSP) to install custom firmware than a PSP Phat.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I don't use both that much, but I'd going to have to say my PSP more. I'll also say played my GBA micro (don't have it anymore) more than I do both the PSP and DS. DS panders to casual gamers a lot and because of that I feel that they dumb down the games somewhat i.e. Zelda (overall good game with great controls that weren't gimmicky, but they gave up challenging gameplay for the casual players and kiddies).

ediblebird

Trophies
XP
Country
definitely get a psp, they are not as hard to get onto Custom Firmware as you may think, as there are plenty of tools that make it so much easier. I got mine and haven't regretted it.

Osaka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am getting the psp slim that comes with the starwars bundle pack. does anyone know if you can instal a custom firmware onto that version yet? and if so, can you give me a link to show me how? thanks

Osaka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I've had my PSP and DS for around the same amount of time but I've yet to play my PSP as much as my DS. I bought a flash cart (G6 Lite
tongue.gif
) early into my DS' life and I wanted to mod my PSP but never got around to it. Later, after buying several games for my PSP, I finally modded it and never looked back. Modding the PSP back in the old days was alot more difficult then it is now with the advent of the Pandora Battery and Magic Mem Stick. Here's some pros and cons I've picked up along the way with my PSP:

Pros:
- Great homebrew developed and being developed for the system (emulators, ebook readers, games, etc.)
- Some great games for the system
- PS1 emulation built into custom firmwares

Cons:
- Alot of the games on the system are crappy PS2 ports and others are just...well...crap
- Some of the homebrew is hard to operate and/or install unless you know what you're doing

- Fitzy

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Custom Firmware OR a loader like Devhook.

I suggest buying one ONLY if you're going to hack it. I bought mine with emulation in mind and it has yet to disappoint. Commercial PSP games are junk, but CFW makes the world go 'round.

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Custom Firmware OR a loader like Devhook.

I suggest buying one ONLY if you're going to hack it. I bought mine with emulation in mind and it has yet to disappoint. Commercial PSP games are junk, but CFW makes the world go 'round.

I disagree there are some excellent commercial games available for the PSP.
Yes a whole bunch are PS2 ports, but hey portable PS2 games are awesome, in the future when another handheld system can emulate the PS2 do you not think people will be uber happy about it?

Heck if one of the GTA Stories games was on the DS people on this site would be singing its praise no end.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: ok