PS1/2 Should i get a ps3 or 360?

Fellow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get an Xbox 360, here is why you should.

You can flash the firmware on the DVD Drive, enabling you to play backups. The only downfall to this is that you won't be able to play on Xbox Live with a flashed drive. And don't worry about voiding your warranty either, there are methods of removing the sticker without voiding the warranty.

The 360 has an easy to work with interface, and is overall better in different terms. You might have to pay for Xbox Live, but it's worth it, considering the exclusives on the Xbox 360 that get high replay value. It has overall more exclusive games, and the RRoD has a chance of showing up, but it shouldn't really matter much since you can send if off to Microsoft, or you can use the X-Clamp fix.

There are ways of preventing this from happening anyways, and not all of them require the Xbox to be shipped to Microsoft.

Eternal Myst

Back from the Myst.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bob Loblaw said:
Not true at all.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/console-wars/ps3-...ound-322633.php

The ps3 has 7 proccessors and the almighty cell.

360 only has 3 processors.

Gametrailers used PS3 footage for both the 360 and ps3 version if you remember that fiasco.

edit: also here's an article from gamepro

http://www.gamepro.com/microsoft/xbox360/g...es/164728.shtml

they said the ps3 versions of the multi-platform games listed all have the upperhand except for, contradicting the first article, assassins creed because they say the 360 version wasn't as "dark". (maybe they don't know about in game brightness controls..)
it says only in the beginning of the ps3s life were 360 games running better due to developers limited knowledge of the ps3. now the tables have turned.
?Seriously I watched the video comparing the 360,and PS3 version of COD4,and I don't get why you make a big deal out of it.The graphics are the ^&*$%@$%^#@^ exact same thing.
I don't see a difference in graphics between the two consoles at all.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Eternal Myst said:
Bob Loblaw said:
Not true at all.

Gametrailers used PS3 footage for both the 360 and ps3 version if you remember that fiasco.

they said the ps3 versions of the multi-platform games listed all have the upperhand except for, contradicting the first article, assassins creed because they say the 360 version wasn't as "dark". (maybe they don't know about in game brightness controls..)
it says only in the beginning of the ps3s life were 360 games running better due to developers limited knowledge of the ps3. now the tables have turned.
?Seriously I watched the video comparing the 360,and PS3 version of COD4,and I don't get why you make a big deal out of it.The graphics are the ^&*$%@$%^#@^ exact same thing.

haha that's my point
tongue.gif
because someone made a dumb comment saying 360 always has better graphics last page i forget their name. mr deez i think.

mr deez

Trophies
XP
Country
Fellow said:
The only downfall to this is that you won't be able to play on Xbox Live with a flashed drive.

Absolute rubbish. Plenty of people have used Live without getting banned, with iExtreme 1.4 and correctly patched games.

mr deez

Trophies
XP
Country
Bob Loblaw said:
Eternal Myst said:
Bob Loblaw said:
Not true at all.

haha that's my point
tongue.gif
because someone made a dumb comment saying 360 always has better graphics last page i forget their name. mr deez i think.

Not dumb, mostly true.

But agreed, difference is minimal.

mr deez

Trophies
XP
Country
mr deez said:
Bob Loblaw said:
Eternal Myst said:
Bob Loblaw said:
Not true at all.

haha that's my point
tongue.gif

Not dumb, mostly true.

But agreed, difference is minimal. The point being that when people claim PS3 graphics are superior, they are often wrong.

**quoted myself rather than edit... now I do look a tw@t!...**

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Eternal Myst said:
Bob Loblaw said:
Not true at all.

More processors doesn't necessarily mean that it's better..
lecture.gif

But, indeed, the PS3 has a more powerful hardware than the 360, it CAN make better graphics but that doesn't mean that developers will use that. Since, most games (like Assassin's Creed) are being made for both consoles, developers choose to make the games equally so everyone can have the same experience. Only on exclusive games we'll be able to see some better PS3 graphics..

Bob Loblaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CockroachMan said:
But, indeed, the PS3 has a more powerful hardware than the 360, it CAN make better graphics but that doesn't mean that developers will use that. Since, most games (like Assassin's Creed) are being made for both consoles, developers choose to make the games equally so everyone can have the same experience. Only on exclusive games we'll be able to see some better PS3 graphics..

Exactly. A guy from Sierra working on the new Ghostbusters game even said that if they didn't have to make the game for both 360 and PS3 and could make it a PS3 exclusive they could have almost double the amount of objects/visuals on screen and much nicer sound effects because they could attribute one whole proccessor to sound alone with the PS3. source: http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/2982.html

But since they have to make it for both systems they have to find the lowest common denominator between the systems and make it fit those specs. Also the issue with earlier multi-platforms was never the graphics on the PS3 but the frame-rates. This was only really notable on Orange Box and Madden '08.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bob Loblaw said:
Not true at all.

Theres a few things wrong with the italicized statement...

1) It has one processor.
2) That processor is the Cell.
3) The Cell has 8 cores, 7 of which Sony allows to function (due to cell core failure you heard about back in 2006)
4) The Cell does not do any graphics processing.

Also, Gears 360 > Gears PC. And I have both. Well, unless you have a joypad, but then on Gears PC no one plays online... Mass Effect on the other hand...

Actually, more like the tables evened out, and in the middle of the "wars".

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bob Loblaw said:
CockroachMan said:

could make it a PS3 exclusive they could have almost double the amount of objects/visuals on screen

But since they have to make it for both systems they have to find the lowest common denominator between the systems and make it fit those specs. Also the issue with earlier multi-platforms was never the graphics on the PS3 but the frame-rates. This was only really notable on Orange Box and Madden '08.
and three times less sales

tell that to Rainbow Six Vegas.

Bob Loblaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:
Bob Loblaw said:
Not true at all.

Theres a few things wrong with the italicized statement...

1) It has one processor.
2) That processor is the Cell.
3) The Cell has 8 cores, 7 of which Sony allows to function (due to cell core failure you heard about back in 2006)
4) The Cell does not do any graphics processing.

Everything you said is wrong.

They are not not 7 Physical core, but rather SPE's which are part of a greater whole.

Next-Gen: Now you describe [the PS3] as “radically different," but can you elaborate on that more? Just how radical is the PlayStation 3 compared to even its contemporaries like Xbox 360 [note: High Moon is also working on an Xbox 360 title] or other systems?

Keith: Well, in comparing it directly to the Xbox 360, you know the Xbox 360 has three general purpose processors in it. But they’re more like the typical processors that you might see in a PC or Macintosh… With the big general purpose processors, we can write the software traditionally the way we’ve done it in the past, so we don’t have to change things so much.

What Sony did was the Cell processor is it really embeds about seven processors, one of those being the general purpose core and the other six being these real dedicated specific-use type of processors that are extremely fast. But seeing that they’re not general purpose, they’re a little bit more challenging for programmers to get under control and to write software for.

With these Cell processors and these small processors called the SPEs, we really have to not only write software different but we have to think about how we’re solving problems in a completely different light.

7 cooperative processors. Not cores at all, but you aren't the first to get confused about this. 2 Years ago everyone thought they were 7 cores.
Here's a whole article
http://www.destructoid.com/what-makes-the-...-us-30126.phtml

Also the cell proccessor can/does render graphics.
see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEg7q2lk3QM

And here is an excellent article
http://www.product-reviews.net/2007/11/06/...r-60-xbox-360s/
about multi-platform games and system resource consumption

And here is a plain old spec sheet
http://www.jlsnet.co.uk/index.php?page=ps_specs
showing that the ps3 can at it's max display 700 million polygons/sec which is 200 million more polygons on screen a second than the 360's max of 500 million

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Um.. basically the problem with multiplatform games' graphics is because developers like to develop it for 360 first, and then port it to PS3.
It results in a crappy PS3 version.
(Fight Night Round 3 had plans for PS3 as a lead platform, but whole PS3 build was turned into scrap and it was actually solely built for 360. Later EA Canada simply ported it to PS3)

When developers make PS3 version first and then port it to 360, they get high quality game on both consoles.
E.g. Burnout Paradise.

I'm not aware of other PS3 -> 360 multiplatform games. KOEI games maybe? Be it DW:Gundam, DW6, or Bladestorm, I find their quality quite even for both consoles (save for DW6's pre-rendered movie) just like Burnout Paradise. The problem is KOEI games look bad on both consoles =P

It's not about difference in machine power, but more of difference in structure. Also way more developers are familiar with Microsoft's tool than Linux based Sony's dev kit.

Cell doesn't render graphics on PS3 games. You CAN use it to render graphics, but it's less efficient than having a separate GPU. Any processor can render graphics, as graphics are just calculations. Bottom line is GPU does a hell lot better job than CPUs.

Trulen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's also a factor to think of.

The price of games.

I got a PS3 and enjoy it immensely.

And I've got about 300 bucks worth of wishlist games to get (these prices are used games from eBay!).
I've got myself a job, but I get paid 5.85 (Louisiana. LULZ.) an hour. I see 4.80 of every hour I work.
I'm lucky to get 30 hours a week.

So, I have to be finicky in what I buy.
So the PS3 will last me very many years with spaced out gaming budgeting.

But I may room with a buddy of mine who's got himself a flashed 360 when I star college.
PS3, Wii, and 360 all under one roof.
That's tasty.

But I'm just throwing in an un-biased thought. It more than likely won't affect you, but I gave it a shot.

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Trulen said:
There's also a factor to think of.

The price of games.

I got a PS3 and enjoy it immensely.

And I've got about 300 bucks worth of wishlist games to get (these prices are used games from eBay!).
I've got myself a job, but I get paid 5.85 (Louisiana. LULZ.) an hour. I see 4.80 of every hour I work.
I'm lucky to get 30 hours a week.

So, I have to be finicky in what I buy.
So the PS3 will last me very many years with spaced out gaming budgeting.

But I may room with a buddy of mine who's got himself a flashed 360 when I star college.
PS3, Wii, and 360 all under one roof.
That's tasty.

But I'm just throwing in an un-biased thought. It more than likely won't affect you, but I gave it a shot.

You make a VERY good point. I also have very little extra cash to spare thanks to my new baby girl. So piracy was a big draw to me. If I calculated up the total retail value of all the 360 games I have, it'll be well over $4000.......FOUR THOUSAND dollars worth of games for around $150 worth of dual-layer dvds. That right there is reason enough for anyone to consider the 360.
teamwin4zk.gif

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I save money on shovelware by pirating, and support good game developers by buying their games.
I consider that to be the ideal situation for me, and good game developers. (As for shovelware developers, they can **** ** ****)

Be it 360, DS, PSP, I buy the good games.

Edit: I brought this up after reading 754boy's post above, but failed to make a link =P
I didn't exactly save thousands of dollars by pirating, but I saved a lot of frustration from buying garbage. And it was so worth it even though I'm gonna go out and buy the game I just burned on my DL-DVD.

Bob Loblaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah that's exactly why I own both. 360 = free games. but once that dies on me i'm not buying another if i get an unflashable one back from M$ since i have a ps3.

The money you spend on 360's adds up to almost the same amount you're saving on games.

(i've had 2 360's so thats almost $700, i won't go into how many games i've "borrowed" but i'm just barely breaking even hehe)

Also, PS3 greatest hits go on sale this month so a whole slew of great PS3 games for only $30 or less will now be available.

uberusmaximus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my friend has had to send in his xbox 360 in twice. his latest one didnt even last a year. i think that has something to say about microsoft's quality that they put into their products...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol stremio hogging all of my tvs on board ram
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just download more Ram to it, or setup Raid666 on it.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Morning
    +1
  • CooingMaxito @ CooingMaxito:
    Hello fellow stranger
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you mean I've known you since today
    Damn that's bonkers mate, it's almost like we've never met!
    Probably just my imagination
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: