Hardware Should i buy the PSP street?

Cyberdrive

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
It's probably too late to help OP, but since nobody mentioned this, here it goes.

Any PSP that can use Pandora can boot directly into any CFW (because of the possiblity of using custom IPL) and can be flashed with any OFW/CFW on top of any OFW/CFW/"noFW" (no problems with unbricking and downgrading).
Owners of newer, Pandora-incapable PSPs have to manually start their CFW on every cold boot (having swapped the battery, for example) using CFW-specific loaders on memory card OR they have to use an outdated firmware v6.20 with "permanent patch". Downgrading of these units is a risky business because unbricking is impossible and repairs will cost more than buying another PSP.
Out of all Pandora-capable PSP-2000 the very first ones* are better than the rest because they can create Pandora batteries**; other PSP-2000 can only use Pandora batteries created somewhere else***.

** provided that the battery has PSP-programmable EEPROM. All original Sony batteries bundled with such PSPs are suitable, all batteries bundled with "post-8B" PSPs aren't, in-between ones are a mixed bunch but mostly suitable.
*** which nowadays means DX/aliexpress and other Chinese vendors, since Sony stopped making convertable batteries in 2008.

>i intend to use ISOs of translated Japanese VNs that i bought on Japanese store...Are the 3k screen issues noticeable in visual novels?
VNs are 99% static images, and ghosting/interlacing is not applicable to static (non-moving) images by definition.
Frankly speaking, you're better off reading English-translated PSP VNs on another, less eye-straining, platform (that is PC, either natively or via PS2/PSP emulators).
Also, just in case, don't even touch H-VNs on PSP, they're horrible even for their main purpose because of the format limitations imposed by Sony (gameplay = watching literally interlaced videos a la Hirameki's stuff for DVD players).

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't really call 6.20 outdated. Sony skipped a bunch of releases, it went from .20 to .30 and from .39 to .50, etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Portable_System_Software
And the differences are all small, nothing near the realm of what you usually get with earlier updates.

Hell, if you're just going by age, the latest firmware is two years old. :P

Cyberdrive

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I'm not really interested in debating over "how old is too old" since I believe that anything older than the latest stable version is outdated by the very fact of the latest stable version's existence. Especially when we're talking about things which are 8 (eight) versions apart.

I'm more interested in why CIPL and a directly related matter of "permanent VS virtual CFW" isn't even mentioned in "Which PSP Should I Get?" sticky. After all, it's something that a new PSP owner will (or will not) have to face daily, and an omission of which in the said sticky didn't allow OP make an informed decision, leaving him with a model he probably wouldn't have chosen otherwise.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm more interested in why CIPL and a directly related matter of "permanent VS virtual CFW" isn't even mentioned in "Which PSP Should I Get?" sticky. After all, it's something that a new PSP owner will (or will not) have to face daily, and an omission of which in the said sticky didn't allow OP make an informed decision, leaving him with a model he probably wouldn't have chosen otherwise.
Because all it takes is 5 seconds to boot into CFW during each start up.

Is 5 seconds really going to make a big difference?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...