Hacking Should a DSTWO+ work on latest firmware?

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why? you don't need to bother with any of that just make sure the DSTWO is running the latest FW, which i would assume that the plus would have shipped with already flashed

even old DSTWO is supported and you do not need that, that is for really old carts and i am still not sure what that is ,i mean what is the difference between that and the flashcard timewarp anyways?

Xoo00o0o0o

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I just wonder if I set it up correctly. I download the DSTWO PLUS ESO from here. Then I just took the _dstwo folder and put it on the root of my micro SD (which I formatted with GUIformatter to FAT32). Is that all that's involved with setting it up?

Yeah, thats the correct set up process. Have you tried the paper trick? You could also try it in an older DS family console to see if it boots.

Why do people keep saying gw has a brick code on there latest launcher? I seen no proof that can confirm this,dstwo piggybacks from there code and they even said they (gw) discovered dangerous flaws when using it with the latest version

The speculation is that if the latest GW Launcher.dat detects that you are running a DSTwo+ (which it probably will), it will brick your console. Gateway even warned DSTwo+ users that their consoles would probably brick. There are a few brick reports on the SC forums that confirm this, but the bricks aren't confirmed.

Last edited by Xoo00o0o0o,

James310

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, thats the correct set up process. Have you tried the paper trick?

Because if the latest Launcher.dat detects that you are running a DSTwo+ (which it probably will), it will brick your console. Gateway even warned DSTwo+ users that there consoles would probably brick.
Is there proof it's actually implanted?

Xoo00o0o0o

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there proof it's actually implanted?

The only "proof" we have are the brick reports on the SC forums and here. I can't say it is certain that the brick code is implemented but I wouldn't risk using the launcher with a DSTwo+ right now. I'll edit my previous post to reflect this one.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why? you don't need to bother with any of that just make sure the DSTWO is running the latest FW, which i would assume that the plus would have shipped with already flashed

even old DSTWO is supported and you do not need that, that is for really old carts and i am still not sure what that is ,i mean what is the difference between that and the flashcard timewarp anyways?
I thought reinand needed the patched twl_firm in order to use the ds/i mode in emunand, so he could read about it in that thread

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought reinand needed the patched twl_firm in order to use the ds/i mode in emunand, so he could read about it in that thread
i dont know about any of that all i know is that i leave my DSTWO regular not puls in the cart slot and i am in rei emunand i can launch it fine alex ryder stormbreaker shows up in emunand and the card can e launched from there

i glanced over that thread last week but for the life of me i cant really figure out what that is supposed to do
i assumed it was just to get old flashcards working that were not able to be restored with flashcardtimewarp.cia or the GW blue card restoreer cis

Last edited by weatMod,

James310

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only "proof" we have are the brick reports on the SC forums and here. I can't say it is certain that the brick code is implemented but I wouldn't risk using the launcher with a DSTwo+ right now. I'll edit my previous post to reflect this one.
'Those' bricks were caused by they dangerous flaws gw was talking about, even the safe version for dstwo plus can still brick your system so it cant counts as proof.

TheOnlyJonto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is just giving me a black screen as well. I'm thinking I don't have my card set up correctly.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah, thats the correct set up process. Have you tried the paper trick? You could also try it in an older DS family console to see if it boots.

The speculation is that if the latest GW Launcher.dat detects that you are running a DSTwo+ (which it probably will), it will brick your console. Gateway even warned DSTwo+ users that their consoles would probably brick. There are a few brick reports on the SC forums that confirm this, but the bricks aren't confirmed.
What's the paper trick?

Blue

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
'Those' bricks were caused by they dangerous flaws gw was talking about, even the safe version for dstwo plus can still brick your system so it cant counts as proof.
Do you really think they found 'dangerous flaws' in the ds2 gateway emulation plugin. It's not like they are going to say "don't use a ds2+ or we will brick your 3ds."

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is just giving me a black screen as well. I'm thinking I don't have my card set up correctly.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What's the paper trick?
he means that the card is probably not making contact with the pins inside of the cart slot,
you take a match book cover and tear it off and then fold it and wedge it in the cart slot in between the label side of the DSTWO and the inside of the cart slot , the idea being that it pushes the cards connector pins harder up against the pins inside the cart slot so it makes a better connection
i had to do it before with my DSTWO ,sometimes it does not make a good connection

also if it reads the card but you get the "no find SD" error message you can get like some regular printer or notebook paper and wedge it in the MSD slot on the DSTWO between the label side of the MSD card and the MSD slot to make it connect better

the DSTWO has an awkward build quality the extra CPU and RAM chips stick out and make a bump under the label sticker that makes it not sit right in the cart slot and it causes issues , but this also happens with other cars and with MSD's
my friends N3ds XL i put CFW on for him and the MSD has barely ever been removed but the N3ds refuses to read the card 4 out of 5 times and i have to keep on popping it in and out
his is US , but i mine is AU and i remove the card all the time and never had a problem
but my MSD is samsung his is a rebranded kingston
could be the quality of the MSD who knows but these things have contact issues, MSD's and slot 1 DS flashcards both

Last edited by weatMod,
Reactions: TheOnlyJonto

Elveman

Just passing by
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Ok, so it's black screening on reiNand, right?
There are 2 choices:
1. Use rxTools or
2. create a non-empty file "reversereboot.bin" and place it in "rei" folder. This will disable reboot patches used by reiNand for Smash/MonHun by default, allowing DS(i)/AGB stuff to run

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are 2 choices:
1. Use rxTools or
2. create a non-empty file "reversereboot.bin" and place it in "rei" folder. This will disable reboot patches used by reiNand for Smash/MonHun by default, allowing DS(i)/AGB stuff to run
or you could just boot to sysnand and run it from there

Reactions: Elveman

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
There is evidence that gw put brick code in the past in their launcher.dat file to discourage users to buy clone hardware. What makes you think they wouldn't do the same here again?

P

PaiiNSteven

Bump.
My DSTWO+ doesn't even show up on my RX emunand 10.5. Anything for that?

TheOnlyJonto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are 2 choices:
1. Use rxTools or
Looks like you're right. Since I have an O3DS Reinand needs to boot with the high ram patch thing that allows Smash and MU4 to launch which disables DS games. The easiest way around this is to just reboot into sysnand when I want to use my DSTWO. Kind of inconvenient but I'm not sure of a more graceful way unless I wanted to disable the high ram patch but then I wouldn't be able to play those two games, although I don't play them often.
Bump.
My DSTWO+ doesn't even show up on my RX emunand 10.5. Anything for that?
You should at least see the Alex Rider game popup. If not you probably should try the paper trick explained by @weatMod.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: ye