ROM Hack Shiren the wanderer translations?

Maximaxis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! I'd like to know if there is any translation of the Fushigi No Dungeon series for the DS, also called "Mystery Dungeon - Shiren the Wanderer". I have the first one, but i found the 2nd, 4th and 5th releases of the game for the DS (the third is for PSP and Wii), but they are only in japanese. I really love rogue-like games, so please tell me if you know something

Farlight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! I'd like to know if there is any translation of the Fushigi No Dungeon series for the DS, also called "Mystery Dungeon - Shiren the Wanderer". I have the first one, but i found the 2nd, 4th and 5th releases of the game for the DS (the third is for PSP and Wii), but they are only in japanese. I really love rogue-like games, so please tell me if you know something

Great series. I've enjoyed these a great deal myself. Here's what I know.

-Aeon Genesis did a wonderful translation of the original SNES game. I played that one throughly and it was very well done.
http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=shiren

-There is an incomplete translation that was started for Shiren the Wanderer 2 DS but it has been inactive for some time a 0.2 translation patch was released that translates some menus and items.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/shiren-the-wanderer-2-translation.169426/

-I don't remember where I found it but a partial translation for the PSP Shiren the Wanderer 3 also exists. (Need a custom firmware PSP)

If you like these type of games, check out the Izuna : Legend of the Unemployed Ninja and Izuna 2 : The Unemployed Ninja Returns. I've only played the first but it was good. (2 has sat on my shelf for years waiting now until I have time....:) Very similar style to Shiren.

Hope this helps. :)

Reactions: zfreeman

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
I am working on 4 and 5 as they have the same font system and share a great deal of similar files (may go into the psp version of 4, have in fact already looked into it).
the font worked once (when I first tried to edit it). Once I tried to make further alterations though, game crashes or text illegibility were the result.
5 may only get a basic translation as 4 is more documented and I have a translator interested in helping for just 4.
Though there are problems aside from the font in the form of so far un-trackable pointers (and yes I do know how to use breakpoints, so...). these pointers appear in front of and below certain of the sir0 bin text files which makes the font hack quite necessary. But so far not working. I have not checked if this is the same problem for the psp version of 4. I haven't worked on either for 3 months. Okeari chibi robo, elminage and an android game have been taking up my time.
Look for updates for this on my blog, if any.

Reactions: Celice

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny you should mention that title. Until yesterday I didn't realize there WAS more of them... until I stumbled on one for the PSP but passed as I was focused no other things,... now I'm trying to find it, I was certain I know where I had seen it for psp.

I'm glad someone mentioned 'Unemployed Ninja' being similar, it renews my interest now.. I have that one collecting dust maybe it's time to check it out..

If I can find the site I found the PSP one yesterday, I will post note of it here..

Magus

GBATEMP RPG MANIAC
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I am working on 4 and 5 as they have the same font system and share a great deal of similar files (may go into the psp version of 4, have in fact already looked into it).
the font worked once (when I first tried to edit it). Once I tried to make further alterations though, game crashes or text illegibility were the result.
5 may only get a basic translation as 4 is more documented and I have a translator interested in helping for just 4.
Though there are problems aside from the font in the form of so far un-trackable pointers (and yes I do know how to use breakpoints, so...). these pointers appear in front of and below certain of the sir0 bin text files which makes the font hack quite necessary. But so far not working. I have not checked if this is the same problem for the psp version of 4. I haven't worked on either for 3 months. Okeari chibi robo, elminage and an android game have been taking up my time.
Look for updates for this on my blog, if any.

you are working on elminage? like the port of the first game on the ds? not to be a downer but there is a psp version that's officialy translated,i understand not everybody has a psp but that seems a waste of work

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
To clarify Elminage 2, elminage gothic. Elminage 1 has some interesting differences between versions. Added monsters, items, etc. Elminage 2 has so far been easier to handle in that I started it before elminage 1 was even translated. So you may see some differences between mine and what the official translation is. (just a difference of opinion on some things). If you do take a look into the games you will notice quite a bit that didn't get translated. Which was mostly due to space constraints. A problem I also am having with el2 and el gothic.

back on topic. I had most of the menu stuff for the ds version of 4 done, but have to redo it for the font/space. That tiny bit of free memory I found may be better put to use for actual script. The last I checked on the psp version of 4 I was in a worse position so had to short form some things. The psp version has no extra space to make use of. Was working in an emulator but not on the actual psp. so....

Magus

GBATEMP RPG MANIAC
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
To clarify Elminage 2, elminage gothic. Elminage 1 has some interesting differences between versions. Added monsters, items, etc. Elminage 2 has so far been easier to handle in that I started it before elminage 1 was even translated. So you may see some differences between mine and what the official translation is. (just a difference of opinion on some things). If you do take a look into the games you will notice quite a bit that didn't get translated. Which was mostly due to space constraints. A problem I also am having with el2 and el gothic.

back on topic. I had most of the menu stuff for the ds version of 4 done, but have to redo it for the font/space. That tiny bit of free memory I found may be better put to use for actual script. The last I checked on the psp version of 4 I was in a worse position so had to short form some things. The psp version has no extra space to make use of. Was working in an emulator but not on the actual psp. so....

do you have a blog where you post update or something? i'd be really interessed

Julio Sotomayor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, I have a complete text dump of SCP.BIN from Elminage 2 and I personally spaced every single sentence together as well as one man can. I used a macro to eliminate the majority of the hexadecimal garbage symbols (I'm using Notepad++ because it has integrated SHIFT-JIS for this)-- It's as put together as can be expected. Any translator worth his salt could easily translate this document now. And yes, I know, it is unbelievably huge. No one's gonna do it. Whatever, who cares.

(I've been using the Elminage: Original ISO to know where to find things, obviously)

The second thing I have to report is that I did something similar with the ETC.BIN and did some _very quick and dirty_ "marks" inside WindHex32 to denote where things such as the Mage/Cleric/Alchemist spells begin, where the section on class changes begins, etc. I think those two .BIN's are probably the most important ones to translate to have a playable game in English, and one of the two .BINs can be machine-translated. So we have good news there.

Now for the life of I can't find ANYWHERE, either inside the Elminage 1 ISO or the 2nd game's ISO where the battle commands are! It's insane! But it's true; I've done a relative search on every singe .BIN that's inside the Elminage: Original ISO using every single one of the fight commands, you know: fight, defend, escape, etc. I have turned up nothing! It's insane! I wanted to find that first after I was finished arranging the game script from SCP.BIN and quickly go over to the Elminage 2 files and do a quick battle menu translation; but like I said I just can't find those commands.

The only places I haven't been able to access are the DATA.BIN(s) from either game as they're all completely zero'd out inside WindHex32 even though they are very huge files.

Aside from further arranging the script dump from SCP.BIN (hey, it's not perfect) a little better, and getting started on translating everything inside ETC.BIN which is where the majority of the game's non-dialog content is contained I don't know what else I should do.

HaxAras

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there anybody else who is still interested in this? I can't translate anything related to the story but I know enough about game mechanics, monsters, items, etc. from the other games. At the very least I could explain how things work or give the English names of these things to somebody who could implement them into the game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
  • Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham:
    Hehehe
    Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham: Hehehe