Hacking Setting up MS2+RetroGame Updates?

U-said-it

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all.

Does anyone know how to setup a DSTT for an original (non-i) NDS with Moonshell, and the latest YSMENU from RetroGame's unofficial updates?

I found some older tutorials to do something similar with older versions of the YSMENU, and Moonshell 2. But... none of them were for the DSTT.

Any clues? I want to be able to launch commercial games from the setup.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
First you have to decide whether you want the Child zwai version of moonshell2 or if you are fine with a slightly older version (2.10beta9) or if you really don't care too much about the moonshell2 side, any other lower version.
Steps as generic as possible to match up with all:
- If you want the highest moonshell2 without requiring extra effort when dealing with your games, use 2.10beta9 (just grab the latest MAIO to make it slightly less troublesome).
- Set up moonshell2 and YSMenu per usual.
- Put in the YSMenu extlink for any version 2.10beta9 or below (linoul's, unneon's, or Xenon++'s generic inilink that works with various flashcarts, but you have to put in minimal effort to use).
- If using MS2.09-MS2.07, grab the overlay.dll crack that Normmatt has floating somewhere.
- If using MS2 Child Zwai, grab Xenon++'s tools and learn to use the inilink extlink as well as ndslink (or mshl2wrap).

U-said-it

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to use the latest MS2 2.10 from HERE, with the latest RetroGamer's unofficial updates from HERE.

I had originally tried using the guide HERE (although for the non-dstt instructions), but there was no ysmenu.nds to be found for the DSTT subfolder of the retrogamer updates.

- If you want the highest moonshell2 without requiring extra effort when dealing with your games, use 2.10beta9 (just grab the latest MAIO to make it slightly less troublesome).
What is extra effort? If that means recompiling a list each time one is added, that's fine. The MAIO links must have been killed by some redistribution rules.

- Set up moonshell2 and YSMenu per usual.
Same as reference to above tutorial attempt. There aren't any proper instructions out there for setting up Moonshell 2 (2.10), with YSMENU, on the auto-patching DSTT (if even possible).

- If using MS2 Child Zwai, grab Xenon++'s tools and learn to use the inilink extlink as well as ndslink (or mshl2wrap).
Same as the MAIO. Links were killed or never found here. What are the benefits of using it over the stable 2.10?

- If you prefer having Moonshell2 as your main menu, manually dldi-patch the moonshell2's .nds file that you use
That's almost the entire point of having moonshell on there, and the dstt auto-patches nds files.

In the end, I really need feedback from someone with a DSTT card. Anyone?

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I want to use the latest MS2 2.10 from HERE, with the latest RetroGamer's unofficial updates from HERE.
there was no ysmenu.nds to be found for the DSTT subfolder of the retrogamer updates.

What is extra effort? If that means recompiling a list each time one is added, that's fine.

Same as reference to above tutorial attempt. There aren't any proper instructions out there for setting up Moonshell 2 (2.10), with YSMENU, on the auto-patching DSTT (if even possible).

What are the benefits of using it over the stable 2.10?

That's almost the entire point of having moonshell on there, and the dstt auto-patches nds files.

In the end, I really need feedback from someone with a DSTT card. Anyone?
The ysmenu.nds was renamed to TTMenu.dat for RGF's updates. Rename it back to ysmenu.nds and place it in the ttmenu folder (cleaner setup)

Extra effort does mean recompiling a list. Mind you it isn't a terrible inconvenience, but some couldn't be bothered to delete both the game and pointer file used AND run a program that makes the pointer files for you (I'm calling them pointer files...but I don't really remember if there is a name for them...).

When I say set up MS2 and YSMenu per usual, I mean literally just set them up. (TTMenu folder and ysmenu.nds for YSMenu, and MS2's .nds and moonshl2 folder) There really aren't any instructions because it is, for the most part, just a drag and drop situation (remember to rename that ysmenu.nds from ttmenu.dat though).

There are a couple of aesthetic differences as well as some new features between Moonshell2.10 stable and ChildZwai (PasteBinn'd Changelog)

I unfortunately can't force my own preferences of UI onto other people, therefore I generally keep to being open on other people's choice of UI, but on a more important note, I think you are misunderstanding something about practically every flashcart (at the very least, the ones that I own). While flashcarts these days all say auto-dldi patching, that is via the kernel. As you aren't going to be using the TTMenu at boot, you need to have the Moonshell2's .nds manually dldi-patched because the firmware definitely isn't going to be auto-patching for you.

As a little tidbit, I have a friend with a DSTT and I set up his flashcart with Moonshell2 Child Zwai and YSMenu. So, while I don't have a DSTT for myself, I'm fairly confident in my skills dealing with one.

@Jimmyemunoz
It's the other link.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Stan4d @ Stan4d: Hello! from my kindle! (supposed to be rading abook for school)