Hacking Self host from wiiu any size sd card(fully self contained)

memo1907fener

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I have an solution if somebody dont see anymore the OpenWRT and OpenWRT 2 wifi signals although the device is inserted with usb. Also if you already flashed the custom FW, you can easily go back to factory mode in case you fuc*ed up your network config by simply putting in the SD card while the zsun is booting - just wait until the LED starts blinking, then push in the SD card, after this the OpenWrt network should come up.

panther666

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I have an solution if somebody dont see anymore the OpenWRT and OpenWRT 2 wifi signals although the device is inserted with usb. Also if you already flashed the custom FW, you can easily go back to factory mode in case you fuc*ed up your network config by simply putting in the SD card while the zsun is booting - just wait until the LED starts blinking, then push in the SD card, after this the OpenWrt network should come up.

As for me, i didn't see any wifi network after flashing, because i think this is a brick...
It was bad flashing for some reasons, i dont know why...
What does this simply inserting sd card do?
But you know, i try to do this and nothing changed...
I think that i have bootloop or kernel crashes at initialization...
I need to reflash it with soldering some wires, but i dont know how... Cant find any information about this...

memo1907fener

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
As for me, i didn't see any wifi network after flashing, because i think this is a brick...
It was bad flashing for some reasons, i dont know why...
What does this simply inserting sd card do?
But you know, i try to do this and nothing changed...
I think that i have bootloop or kernel crashes at initialization...
I need to reflash it with soldering some wires, but i dont know how... Cant find any information about this...

Have you any signals on your device..is the led blinking after you insert it?

panther666

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Have you any signals on your device..is the led blinking after you insert it?

If i plug device into pc, windows find usb device, show me my sd if i have sd in it, led burns constantly (not blinkig) and then after 2-3 seconds windows unplug device (maybe cannot initialize, bootloop, something else...). Same happens in powerbank...

memo1907fener

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Mhh its maybe bricked because it must get electric so the led can work. Try to create on your sdcard .update folder und copy the openwrt firmware to there. If you start up your device it light one time longer, after that it blinks and in this case you must insert your sdcard before the device try to start. Maybe its only bootloop or brick..

panther666

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Mhh its maybe bricked because it must get electric so the led can work. Try to create on your sdcard .update folder und copy the openwrt firmware to there. If you start up your device it light one time longer, after that it blinks and in this case you must insert your sdcard before the device try to start. Maybe its only bootloop or brick..

No, no blinking, same as i wrote upper.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just wanted to say I installed OpenWRT successfully!
If anyone of you is on Windows just set up a network drive to \\zsun\public and login with
admin
admin
denn create .update. directory using CMD and copy the firmware there

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is it really impossible with OpenWRT being installed on it to use the inserted micro SD card as an USB stick (like it worked right before I flashed OpenWRT)?
Because I wanted to put some Wii games for USB Loader GX on there.
That's a major problem since I've bought a big big mSD card for this thing. :(

Last edited by lordelan,

mac033

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it really impossible with OpenWRT being installed on it to use the inserted micro SD card as an USB stick (like it worked right before I flashed OpenWRT)?
Because I wanted to put some Wii games for USB Loader GX on there.
That's a major problem since I've bought a big big mSD card for this thing. :(

glad to hear you got it bro, for usb mine seems to read fine if i unplug it and replug while wii u is running. I also stumbled upon this

https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/usb.essentials

im going to attempt to get it running and ill report back with the results *edit* nvm this is for mounting usb deviced to a openwrt device

Last edited by mac033,

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
glad to hear you got it bro, for usb mine seems to read fine if i unplug it and replug while wii u is running. I also stumbled upon this

https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/usb.essentials

im going to attempt to get it running and ill report back with the results *edit* nvm this is for mounting usb deviced to a openwrt device
Mh do you really think this will reenable the micro SD card access via USB?
It more likely seems like it's a general manual for other router like devices (like real routers) with OpenWRT on them which then can handle plugged in USB sticks. But I'm glad you're attempting a bit. :)

Edit: I forgot to say that beside this USB issue everything's working fine now! The ZSUN is plugged into my Wii U hosting my exploits and it works like a charm! Thank you very much! :)

Last edited by lordelan,

mac033

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mh do you really think this will reenable the micro SD card access via USB?
It more likely seems like it's a general manual for other router like devices (like real routers) with OpenWRT on them which then can handle plugged in USB sticks. But I'm glad you're attempting a bit. :)

Edit: I forgot to say that beside this USB issue everything's working fine now! The ZSUN is plugged into my Wii U hosting my exploits and it works like a charm! Thank you very much! :)

idk looks like usb drivers in general to me as well. here's my train of thought on the matter. As i understand it openwrt is a barebones linux with only relevant tcp/ip esque packages installed. If thats the case, the question then becomes "what are the required packages to enable usb mass storage on a linux device?" Which i know for a fact is possible, this leads me to believe we can get it working.

alternatively,

https://wiki.hackerspace.pl/projects:zsun-wifi-card-reader[source]

USB switch
The device contains a WAS7227Q USB switch, which connects the sd card reader chip to either the USB plug, or the AR9331 SoC.
The switch is controlled with GPIO21. Set pin to LOW to connect card reader to SoC.

this means there is literally one point inside that dictates that the sd card be controlled by openwrt, in our case, to make the sd behave as a usb device independent of openwrt. hardware mods imho should be a last resort, just letting u know theres options available to do just that. I digress, im looking into linux usb mass and alternatives compatible with owrt ill let u know if i find something

Reactions: lordelan

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
idk looks like usb drivers in general to me as well. here's my train of thought on the matter. As i understand it openwrt is a barebones linux with only relevant tcp/ip esque packages installed. If thats the case, the question then becomes "what are the required packages to enable usb mass storage on a linux device?" Which i know for a fact is possible, this leads me to believe we can get it working.

alternatively,

https://wiki.hackerspace.pl/projects:zsun-wifi-card-reader[source]

USB switch
The device contains a WAS7227Q USB switch, which connects the sd card reader chip to either the USB plug, or the AR9331 SoC.
The switch is controlled with GPIO21. Set pin to LOW to connect card reader to SoC.

this means there is literally one point inside that dictates that the sd card be controlled by openwrt, in our case, to make the sd behave as a usb device independent of openwrt. hardware mods imho should be a last resort, just letting u know theres options available to do just that. I digress, im looking into linux usb mass and alternatives compatible with owrt ill let u know if i find something
Thank you for all your efforts sir! Really appreciate!
When I got it right everything we did happened on ZSUN's internal memory only, right?
I mean we needed a micro SD to put the OpenWRT firmware there (inside the .update folder) but everything we see while using WinSCP is the linux folder structure of OpenWRT which is on the ZSUN itself so the www folder which contains my exploits lays there as well.
That means the ZSUN doesn't need the inserted micro SD any longer. So we can make it available for the USB plug only without any worries. That's what you said as well isn't it?
Let me know if you found a way.
This device is f*cking epic but allowing it to contain games for vWii would push it even further! ;)

mac033

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for all your efforts sir! Really appreciate!
When I got it right everything we did happened on ZSUN's internal memory only, right?
I mean we needed a micro SD to put the OpenWRT firmware there (inside the .update folder) but everything we see while using WinSCP is the linux folder structure of OpenWRT which is on the ZSUN itself so the www folder which contains my exploits lays there as well.
That means the ZSUN doesn't need the inserted micro SD any longer. So we can make it available for the USB plug only without any worries. That's what you said as well isn't it?
Let me know if you found a way.
This device is f*cking epic but allowing it to contain games for vWii would push it even further! ;)

"HO-K SO!!! (in my "history of ze world" voice) turns out it is possible.... however its very involved and requires building open wrt firmware from sourse, porting old code from another device (exact same chipset tho), rerouting usb wires internally. *facepalm* the original porters from hackerspace already went pretty deep into this and my searching was unnecessary lol

GPIO
  • GPIO0 - LED
  • GPIO18 - card reader reset
  • GPIO21 - USB switch
  • GPIO22 - card detect
Hardware hacking
If you remove the card reader board you get easy access to one USB port and 3 GPIO pins. Remember that GPIO is 2.5V!

GPIO pins and bootstrap
Here's a closeup of the bootstrap GPIO pins, perhaps useful if you want to try enabling USB device mode.

Bootstrap functions:

• GPIO 0 : Crystal frequency of external clock 0=25, 1=40 MHz
  • GPIO 1 : Booting from internal 0=ROM, 1=SPI Flash
  • GPIO 11: 0=General JTAG, 1=CPU ICE
  • GPIO 12/28 : external memory type (00=SDR, 01=DDR, 10=DDR2)
  • GPIO 13: USB mode 0=device, 1=host
  • GPIO 16: Download firmware from 0=USB, 1=MDIO
USB device mode
AR9331 is capable of working as a usb device (gadget). Unfortunately the code for that exists only as a patch for an old version of OpenWrt: http://neykov.name/posts/ar933x-usb-device-driver/

So if you want to use the zsun as a USB gadget you will need to:

1. Port the code
  2. Remove the bootstrap resistor setting USB to host mode
  3. Remove the card reader PCB and rewire the the USB signal pins
and yes everything from winscp is on the internal memory i use mine with no card inside

Last edited by mac033,

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
"HO-K SO!!! (in my "history of ze world" voice) turns out it is possible.... however its very involved and requires building open wrt firmware from sourse, porting old code from another device (exact same chipset tho), rerouting usb wires internally. *facepalm* the original porters from hackerspace already went pretty deep into this and my searching was unnecessary lol

GPIO
  • GPIO0 - LED
  • GPIO18 - card reader reset
  • GPIO21 - USB switch
  • GPIO22 - card detect
Hardware hacking
If you remove the card reader board you get easy access to one USB port and 3 GPIO pins. Remember that GPIO is 2.5V!

GPIO pins and bootstrap
Here's a closeup of the bootstrap GPIO pins, perhaps useful if you want to try enabling USB device mode.

Bootstrap functions:

• GPIO 0 : Crystal frequency of external clock 0=25, 1=40 MHz
  • GPIO 1 : Booting from internal 0=ROM, 1=SPI Flash
  • GPIO 11: 0=General JTAG, 1=CPU ICE
  • GPIO 12/28 : external memory type (00=SDR, 01=DDR, 10=DDR2)
  • GPIO 13: USB mode 0=device, 1=host
  • GPIO 16: Download firmware from 0=USB, 1=MDIO
USB device mode
AR9331 is capable of working as a usb device (gadget). Unfortunately the code for that exists only as a patch for an old version of OpenWrt: http://neykov.name/posts/ar933x-usb-device-driver/

So if you want to use the zsun as a USB gadget you will need to:

1. Port the code
  2. Remove the bootstrap resistor setting USB to host mode
  3. Remove the card reader PCB and rewire the the USB signal pins
and yes everything from winscp is on the internal memory i use mine with no card inside
Holy sh*t :blink:
Okay I'm considering whether I really should put efforts into this or not but thanks anyway. That cleared the situation up. :grog:

Just to be sure: If I decide to take this road and compile my own build in order to include USB gadget support I have to go through all the steps again, right?

Last edited by lordelan,

hama

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my setup is:

64gb sd in wiiu sd slot,
zsun wifi in front usb with no sd
5.4.0 spoofed to 5.5.1
wifi connected to zsun

side note
boot time of wiiu is almost the same as zsun if i click browser asap itll pick up wifi and load kernel within about a second and a half

where're you store exploit files if you no insert micro sd card to zsun?

mac033

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
where're you store exploit files if you no insert micro sd card to zsun?

the zsun device has 16mb onboard memory you can use

Holy sh*t :blink:
Okay I'm considering whether I really should put efforts into this or not but thanks anyway. That cleared the situation up. :grog:

Just to be sure: If I decide to take this road and compile my own build in order to include USB gadget support I have to go through all the steps again, right?

i would think u would just update to your new firmware from the existing openwrt. and you would reinstall php and copy over the files

side note ; ive been looking into controlling/updating gpio via software and so far it looks like it might be viable. more reading is required.

https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/hardware/port.gpio first link

Reactions: hama and lordelan

Kappcy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So after a while of messing with this and giving up on getting the list to update to install php I ssh'd in and manually installed php5, php5-cgi, and the needed dependencies but I'm not having luck hosting my exploits this way. Before this I was just running an offline wamp server on my computer and things worked fine. It goes to the loading video screen and freezes. Has anyone done this with 5.4 or is the zsun not fast enough to run it?

EDIT: Just noticed the last sentence of the op so I guess it's just me then.

Last edited by Kappcy,

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So after a while of messing with this and giving up on getting the list to update to install php I ssh'd in and manually installed php5, php5-cgi, and the needed dependencies but I'm not having luck hosting my exploits this way. Before this I was just running an offline wamp server on my computer and things worked fine. It goes to the loading video screen and freezes. Has anyone done this with 5.4 or is the zsun not fast enough to run it?

EDIT: Just noticed the last sentence of the op so I guess it's just me then.
Works fine for me. What are you hosting?
I used a self built exploit page on the ZSUN before where I first started a kernel exploit then in second step Loadiine GX 2 which worked but yesterday I even switched over to the HBL method (with one click only) which is working like a charm.

Kappcy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Works fine for me. What are you hosting?
I used a self built exploit page on the ZSUN before where I first started a kernel exploit then in second step Loadiine GX 2 which worked but yesterday I even switched over to the HBL method (with one click only) which is working like a charm.

I was just trying to load gx2 which has loaded for me hosted on my computer just fine. Maybe my files are outdated or something. I'll try some things out. Thank you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @GhostLatte approves