Sega CD applying and correctly using English translation patches?

detlion1643

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So as far as I understand it, SegaCD games are required to be in a .bin/.cue format in order to be used on a disc with the real console. Before I get to the point of that, I am using an emulator for testing purposes. The game in question is Game No Kandume Vol 1. I was hoping to play the Phantasy Star II text adventure games that are on it.

So, I acquired 2 sets of files for the game. One set has just a .iso file in it. The other set has 31 .bin files and a .cue file. Both sets are apparently in JP region as that is the region the disc was released in. So, my first test was to make sure they both load up as is with a JP bios (for testing a good starting point). The .iso file loaded up straight away into the game, while the bin/cue files loaded the audio player portion of the SegaCD. There was an option on the JP version to select "CDROM" from the audio player, which did load the game (with audio issues described below). The "CDROM" option does not exist on NTSC-U audio player of the SegaCD.

Next, I applied an NTSC-U patch to the .iso file and the very first track (track 01) of the .bin files. The next test period, the .iso file loaded up straight away into the game, while the bin/cue files loaded the audio player portion of the SegaCD (same as before). This time I was using the NTSC bios though.

Nest, I applied the English Translation patches to the .iso file and the very first track (track 01) of the .bin files. Tested again, and the .iso file loaded up straight away into the game with English visible. The bin/cue files loaded the audio player portion of the SegaCD (again).

The whole time, with the .iso file, I never received any title music or main menu music. Apparently this is because of it being CD Audio? The text adventure games did have audio inside the actual game itself, just not the title/main menu of the disc.

The bin/cue files never played anything on the audio portions of the SegaCD, in all 3 tests. Although, if I opened the .cue file in CDmage, I could see the individual bin audio tracks (all 31), and play them, so the audio does work.

I am unaware if the CD Audio isn't being played because of the emulator, or if it's truly an issue that won't work on real hardware once on a disc.

Although, if SegaCD requires that a bin/cue format is absolutely needed, I am curious why the .iso file worked flawless (with the audio issue), while the bin/cue files didn't even load like a game should...

Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Or how might I go about getting this fixed?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Most Walmart shoppers don't go to Target because they're too triggered over displays of things they won't be buying anyway.
    +1
    I am not a karen, i am not maga, not severely mentally ill and not on meds, not 300 lbs, not missing all of my teeth, dont wear a bikini. Soooo. okay?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean if saving $2 on milk is saving $2 I'm buying it at Walmart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I go in don't cause a fuss and leave usually no problems
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :unsure::unsure::unsure::O:ohnoes: [goes to take my meds] :shy:
    A million and one things in this world catered to straight men and women. God forbid there's a display for lgbtq merch. How about walking past it if a person is not interested? Uh uh!!! Better watch out for those Satanic rainbows!!! lmao. MAGA crack me up.
    +1
    Right. I save $ getting grocers at walmart. So I continue to go.
    $2 on milk is great, imagine how much is saved when getting an entire cartful... vs the prices at my local ripoff grocery store.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Though I've been going to Aldis more often better lunch meat
    +2
    Is it worth it Gas wise? Length of travel.
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    lgbqt products
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got 3 stores all within half a mile and a gas station in that same area so it's worth it
    +1
    LGBTQIA+ Products :D
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not the gay ride lunch meat :ohnoes:
    Walmart is an 60 mile round trip for me, and yes, I still spend less even after the gas cost. :) I dont go there just for milk. I do 2 big hauls a month, fill the cart up.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gay Ride™ at a Walmart near you
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lol GBAtemp mentioned in the latest Bringus Studios video
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    never heard of that developer
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, was my anti hate trolling shitbox messages recorded
    :O Holy Cow 60 Miles !