Hacking SEEPROM

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Willing to test this on my wii. (I know how to get out of complete bricks). Will post results when I have it done.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for coming out public with this. I would really love to do other things that are meaningless like be able to use boot2v2. I'm probably the only person that would find use in being able to downgrade the boot2 version.
Willing to test this on my wii. (I know how to get out of complete bricks). Will post results when I have it done.
Oh really??? Lets put that to the test.

Hey tueidj, whats that code that you showed me many months back? I'll compile it for this guy.

Reactions: 1 person

damysteryman

I am too busy IRL these days...
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Oh shit, here we go :lol:

Sheimi, if you read the first post again, you will find out that a "SEEPROM brick" is not fixable, bootmii will NOT be able to save you. Nothing will.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Why the korean Wii have this key so differents from the others Wii?
I'd say for the same reason there's other region locks, whatever that is (I'm guessing it's to prevent international competition within Nintendo)
Although it could have just been a way to screw hackers.

tueidj

I R Expert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Supposedly because they're so cheap to buy there, making them profitable to export and sell overseas. But I think it's more likely to do with korean-related restrictions similar to what Windows and smartphones have to comply with.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know, Korea is known for piracy. Nintendo felt the need to add in extra measures to prevent piracy in the Korean market. Of course, Nintendo failed greatly in their efforts and piracy is highly rampant in every market with the Wii.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
N certainly thought it would when they thought that their system was at least some what secure. We certainly know that it has no effect on piracy, but they did that extra measure to prevent piracy.

If you do not believe so, then please explain why you think that they would have done this Korean Key BS.

I really enjoy hearing your opinion because your opinion is usually the most educated opinion on this forum.

tueidj

I R Expert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I already said, there's likely some restrictions they have to follow to be allowed to sell their devices in Korea. Windows has special changes in the korean versions, something to do with media player I think. Same goes for many smartphones sold in korea, they're gimped in minor ways compared to the rest of the world to comply with government regulations. That's the only reason I can think of for the special "korean IOS versions" (since normal IOS versions do support korean games).

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
N certainly thought it would when they thought that their system was at least some what secure. We certainly know that it has no effect on piracy, but they did that extra measure to prevent piracy.
I don't see why you think it is an extra measure to prevent piracy. It has no affect on it, and it doesn't add any obstacles. There isn't anything to suggest it is AP.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to look through the hackmii blogs, but I kinda remember about bushing posting up about the korean wiis and his take was anti piracy. I could be wrong about that since it has been so long since I read it and I'm not finding it through my normal searching, so maybe I am making it up in my own head. If I find anything to support what I remember then I will post it up. I'm kinda fuzzy right now with a few drinks in me, but I will try to continue searching.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
I don't see why you think it is an extra measure to prevent piracy. It has no affect on it, and it doesn't add any obstacles. There isn't anything to suggest it is AP.
Really? Korean made games that can only run on these wii's that have the korean key that run on these IOS's that are specific to only korean wii's. Maybe I might be misinterpeting something from my memory. But really, why else would there be this key that is only on wii's sold in Korea with IOS's that are normally only on wii's sold in korea. What more could N have done to make the korean region so specific where every other wii does not have these specific things? Fuck, they even had SM 3.5K, and every other region did not have a sm 3.5, it was specific to korean region only. Why would they do something so out of the ordinary for this region but do follow normal suite with every other region? No other region has a special key in the seeprom. Why only the korean region?

Discuss.

lex luthor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really? Korean made games that can only run on these wii's that have the korean key that run on these IOS's that are specific to only korean wii's. Maybe I might be misinterpeting something from my memory. But really, why else would there be this key that is only on wii's sold in Korea with IOS's that are normally only on wii's sold in korea. What more could N have done to make the korean region so specific where every other wii does not have these specific things? Fuck, they even had SM 3.5K, and every other region did not have a sm 3.5, it was specific to korean region only. Why would they do something so out of the ordinary for this region but do follow normal suite with every other region? No other region has a special key in the seeprom. Why only the korean region?

Discuss.
Possibly it must be what Tueidj said: "comply with government regulations". He is usually right when discussing this kind of stuff.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Only Nintendo knows for sure. However, if they were going to use specific keys as AP, it would be logical to do it on a popular region, instead of one that only gets a handful of games, and usually far later than the US/EUR/JAP releases.

The only reasonable explanation that I can come up with is that there was a legal restriction, although my familiarity with South Korea's laws is admittedly a bit rusty. :P

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It was probably intended to prevent the export of cheap korean games to other countries At the time they probably did not anticipate that the key would be found and incorporated into cios. When the korean wii was released it was very easy to load out of region games on any wii via modchip or loader, so they probably wanted to prevent the export of these games possibly. It is the only thing that makes any sense since the korean wii has the common key and can load any game from any region, but all other wii's can not load korean games. Possibly these games have some korean propaganda incorporated into them that the korean government did not want the rest of the world to see, who knows. It clearly has nothing to do with the piracy of korean games to korean wii's. Since korea is very restrictive of what media enters the country, perhaps Nintendo passed it off as an effective way of preventing western games from entering the country and influencing the political beliefs in an unwanted way. Certainly Nintendo would have known it would not work, but it may have been enough to convince the korean government to allow the wii into the country for sale.

tueidj

I R Expert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah but korean games are... korean. I can't really imagine a demand for them in other countries even if they were being sold dirt cheap.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
It was probably intended to prevent the export of cheap korean games to other countries At the time they probably did not anticipate that the key would be found and incorporated into cios. When the korean wii was released it was very easy to load out of region games on any wii via modchip or loader, so they probably wanted to prevent the export of these games possibly. It is the only thing that makes any sense since the korean wii has the common key and can load any game from any region, but all other wii's can not load korean games. Possibly these games have some korean propaganda incorporated into them that the korean government did not want the rest of the world to see, who knows. It clearly has nothing to do with the piracy of korean games to korean wii's. Since korea is very restrictive of what media enters the country, perhaps Nintendo passed it off as an effective way of preventing western games from entering the country and influencing the political beliefs in an unwanted way. Certainly Nintendo would have known it would not work, but it may have been enough to convince the korean government to allow the wii into the country for sale.
What you say in the first part really rectifies the idea of anti-piracy measures. Of couse, all that you say is pure speculation and we can all speculate any idea about this, but honestly, nintendo built his console on thinking that it was secure. Maybe the crazy korean government required more for security measures that caused them to only release a wii conforming to that region a few years after it's initial launch, but that is entirely stupid to think that it took them multiple years just to work with the korean government when they already thought it was all secure.

The fact of it is that they know that the korean region has a higher piracy rate than any other national specific region. Nintendo knew this and they spent extra time and effort to go above and beyond to thwart the likelihood of hacking. Security through obfuscation was the goal in this instance.

No one can positively come through and say exactly the reasonings for the korean key and the korean IOS's, but what I present is the most logical reasoning that there is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto