Homebrew SD Card Q's - Wii U Premium

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello everyone

I've got a question about the SD Card one needs to make a backup of your NAND, in case of a BRICK scenario.

1. is it true, you need a 64GB SD card to make a backup of the NAND for a 32GB Wii U?
  2. why 64GB & not 32GB...?
  3. can I use a 64GB Micro SD card inside an adapter to make the backup?
  4. any brand suggested for a 64GB card for this exercise (maximum success)?

Thanks guys:bow:

Apologies if this questions has already been answered somewhere else.

LaPingas

let's go mangoooooo
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
1. Yes. But a NAND backup is really not necessary imo, at least if ur not doing REALLY advanced shit which the end user doesn't do
2. Just.. because? Idk why, I think because 32GB is slightly not enough
3. Yes
4. SanDisk I guess

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello everyone

I've got a question about the SD Card one needs to make a backup of your NAND, in case of a BRICK scenario.

1. is it true, you need a 64GB SD card to make a backup of the NAND for a 32GB Wii U?
  2. why 64GB & not 32GB...?
  3. can I use a 64GB Micro SD card inside an adapter to make the backup?
  4. any brand suggested for a 64GB card for this exercise (maximum success)?

Thanks guys:bow:

Apologies if this questions has already been answered somewhere else.
2. A full NAND backup is actually 33 GB, because the Wii U has 2 NAND chips. Plus you need the homebrew on it to actually dump the NAND. That's why 32GB isn't enough.
4. Both SanDisk Ultra and Samsung Evo are great, buy whichever one is cheapest. The 80MB/s SanDisk Ultra costs about as much as the others, so go with that one if you can find it for around the same price.

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
(WOW, I'm always impressed how fast a response I get on this site.)

1. OK, so 64GB is needed, because the Wii U actually have two NAND's inside and 32GB is simply not enough to make a full backup
  2. -
  3. Sounds like one can use a Micro SD card. Since these are pretty expensive over here, I'm thinking of using it in my phone, after making a backup of BOTH Wii U's NAND's
  4. Sandisk was on my mind, as well as Transcend.

Moving one, some more questions regarding this thread's topic:

5. Is it pretty safe to use any brand, no finicky (it must be this brand in order to work) brand nonsense?
6. Any specific speed OR class (same thing actually..?) I must get for the backup to work?​

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
(WOW, I'm always impressed how fast a response I get on this site.)

1. OK, so 64GB is needed, because the Wii U actually have two NAND's inside and 32GB is simply not enough to make a full backup
  2. -
  3. Sounds like one can use a Micro SD card. Since these are pretty expensive over here, I'm thinking of using it in my phone, after making a backup of BOTH Wii U's NAND's
  4. Sandisk was on my mind, as well as Transcend.

Moving one, some more questions regarding this thread's topic:

5. Is it pretty safe to use any brand, no finicky (it must be this brand in order to work) brand nonsense?
6. Any specific speed OR class (same thing actually..?) I must get for the backup to work?​
5. Yeah, just make sure you buy it from a reputable seller such as Amazon themselves, or a local store near you, as there are a lot of fake SD cards.
6. I recommend UHS-I cards like the SanDisk Ultra and Samsung Evo I mentioned. They're way faster than non-UHS cards (even if they're all class 10), and with the prices being around the same or cheaper than non-UHS cards, there's not much reason not to buy them.
Though for Wii U usage, it might not matter that much. Wii U has a very slow FAT32 driver which will probably bottleneck the UHS cards anyway. If you put GC/Wii games for vWii on it, it might matter more. And sooner or later you'll probably reuse that SD card for a different purpose, the extra speed will come in handy then.

Reactions: CatmanFan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: