Hacking Hardware SD card in 1-bit mode but no broken pins

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm at my wits end here. This is my cousin's Switch, and it is nearly unusable, and I've been trying everything possible to help.

The SD card always initializes in 1-bit mode, but the pins on the connector look perfect. He also has frequent crashes in CFW and according to him occasionally in OFW too. Installing nsps is guaranteed to crash but he's able to play certain games even in CFW without it crashing he says. Assuming it doesn't just crash immediately on boot. I cleaned the MicroSD card in case it was a bit dirty, tried to clean the inside of the MicroSD slot with a soft toothbrush and IPA, scanned the card for corruption that could be causing the crashes and repaired it, and even replaced the MicroSD reader board just now.

Nothing seems to make any difference, I started to think it's the SD card, tried putting the SD in my Switch and Hekate mounts it fine, no 1-bit mode. So that rules that out.

I have no idea what's wrong, I'd really appreciate any input.

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm at my wits end here. This is my cousin's Switch, and it is nearly unusable, and I've been trying everything possible to help.

The SD card always initializes in 1-bit mode, but the pins on the connector look perfect. He also has frequent crashes in CFW and according to him occasionally in OFW too. Installing nsps is guaranteed to crash but he's able to play certain games even in CFW without it crashing he says. Assuming it doesn't just crash immediately on boot. I cleaned the MicroSD card in case it was a bit dirty, tried to clean the inside of the MicroSD slot with a soft toothbrush and IPA, scanned the card for corruption that could be causing the crashes and repaired it, and even replaced the MicroSD reader board just now.

Nothing seems to make any difference, I started to think it's the SD card, tried putting the SD in my Switch and Hekate mounts it fine, no 1-bit mode. So that rules that out.

I have no idea what's wrong, I'd really appreciate any input.
i have broken sd card reader and it wont even get me 1 bit mode or any signs of damage just time to time it corrupts my cards :D so start at replacing sd card reader maybe btw. is it samsung card?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You got a multimeter?

1710538199473.png

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
If you're handy with a soldering iron, it's fixable by using the diagram supplied by Hayato 213. - You would run jumper wires from test points on the board, to whichever pin(s) on the adapter aren't giving continuity. I fixed one for a woman a few months back who was having the same issue. - I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of removing the port from the board. The repair took me about 20 minutes, but all depends on your level I guess.

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I do, but at home. I'll keep the image handy for next time I see him though, thanks.

In the meantime, I'd appreciate any input on other things I could try next time, to hopefully solve this issue once and for all.
Post automatically merged:

If you're handy with a soldering iron, it's fixable by using the diagram supplied by Hayato 213. - You would run jumper wires from test points on the board, to whichever pin on the adapter aren't giving continuity. I fixed one for a woman a few months back who was having the same issue. - I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of removing the port from the board. The repair took me about 20 minutes, but all depends on your level I guess.
I'm decent with a soldering iron.
The weird thing is that the pins look perfect. So I never considered that continuity in the port itself could be an issue. It's common for the pins to break off, when the issue started I expected to open it up and see broken pins, which would've made it obvious what the issue was and I would've fixed it a long time ago.
I suppose I should also bring along my soldering station next time I visit him, so I don't have to bring the Switch home with me which will just make everything take longer.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do, but at home. I'll keep the image handy for next time I see him though, thanks.

In the meantime, I'd appreciate any input on other things I could try next time, to hopefully solve this issue once and for all.

If you check with a multimeter and your connection are good then you can try a replacement sd card flex.

Reactions: Lamcza

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country

Post automatically merged:

I'm decent with a soldering iron.
The weird thing is that the pins look perfect. So I never considered that continuity in the port itself could be an issue. It's common for the pins to break off, when the issue started I expected to open it up and see broken pins, which would've made it obvious what the issue was and I would've fixed it a long time ago.
I suppose I should also bring along my soldering station next time I visit him, so I don't have to bring the Switch home with me which will just make everything take longer.

Yeah, the pins can look fine, but all it takes is for one to be ever so slightly lifted from the board or bent. - Anyway, it's no good second guessing it because for all you know, one of the trace-lines could be broken. I'd get your multimeter out and find out which aren't making contact and zero in from there. - Obviously start with a replacement card adapter first and if that doesn't work, it's down to fault finding. - In ways of repairs though, this is one of the simpler ones. - A digital microscope would be handy though as the test points are pretty small. I used micro litz wire.

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
If you check with a multimeter and your connection are good then you can try a replacement sd card flex.
Yeah, the pins can look fine, but all it takes is for one to be ever so slightly lifted from the board or bent. - Anyway, it's no good second guessing it because for all you know, one of the trace-lines could be broken. I'd get your multimeter out and find out which aren't making contact and zero in from there. - Obviously start with a replacement card adapter first and if that doesn't work, it's down to fault finding. - In ways of repairs though, this is one of the simpler ones. - A digital microscope would be handy though as the test points are pretty small. I used micro litz wire.
could be the actual card reader. Mines was bad. Cost $5 for a new one. Fixed the problem.
Already replaced the SD reader board, as I mentioned in the OP.
RCM or modchip?
RCM

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1