• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

School shooting in Colorado

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I interject.

Those people are neglected, stipped of any opportunities, usually singled out, devoid of attention, maybe selfcentered, and suffering from an allure of grandiosity, but thats just one factor.

Their mind (subconscious) then looks for a way out. (We are talking severe mental health stuff here.) So they are drawn to power fantasies.

Guns. Make people feel powerful. Just touching one, does (apparently ;) ).

Then the entire cultural stuff america has prepped up around gun ownership and soldier heroes comes in, and also makes some of the difference.

(My understanding concerning that stuff is, that those are necessary myths within your society to deal with or integrate the part of your society, thats out in the world fighting almost neverending battles. Through coping with that over years, your society is structured a little differently, than that of other nations. (If you tell someone just returning from a war to check their weapon at the counter and then play happy family life, shortly thereafter - it usually doesnt work out so well, so you have groups and organisations that take this personality and the weapons they are accustom to - and form little subs societies, that slowly guide the transition into a more civil life.. Something along those lines. Weapon culture is more of a thing in america than in other developed parts of the world, partly because of it - in my opinion.))

Then you've come to realize, that the potential shooter jumps another gap, where the anger he has stored up gets projected towards the people that "did him wrong", or that have the opportunities he'd liked to have. And then he jumps another step, where he acts on it.

None of this develops "silently" - there are warning singns all over the place. People around them are ignoring them.

The motivation then culminates into the following. "No way out" thinking. Powerwish. Anger projected towards peers. Feels power in the form of handling weapons. Has a societal image of death near or related to glory (that warped in their minds). And knows, that they will be important for that day, and maybe that week. Also - punishing the people that hurt them. When the shooting begins, they probably get into a blood frency I dont know - I don't deal with military psychology, I just assume, thats why they pick out victims randomly after the first few.

Now you probably have a decent understanding of whats causing it. Does it help you directly? I'm not sure.

Reducing the numbers of automated weapons around reduces the number of victims. Thats a first step.
Keep in mind, I'm not in favor of gun confiscation but some of your observations are interesting.
Do you know where gun culture really ramped up? Not it's roots in America but where it really became cool? First, in reference to the roots of the gun culture, this nation was liberated, won and founded with guns. After America won her independence from England, guns were still vitaly important. The land was so harsh and so untamed that you needed those firearms almost constantly. It was a time when there was no electricity, no running water and no ready made food. Every man old enough to use a gun, had to use it to kill food to feed his family. Also, there were the natives. That is too deep of a topic to cover here, but every man of fighting age found his gun a necessity to defend his very life and those of his family. They could not just call the police in those days.
Now, as to the time when guns became the object of every starry eyed boy and a few girls too. Was, after our fighting men had helped to assure world peace in the wake of world wars one and two, after they returned, they were national heroes and every young man wanted to be like them. Later, when television programming began, there were shows that further glorified the US GI and also the cowboy shows and movies because in that age, that was what the American public wanted to see.
As time has progressed, television programming has grown steadily more violent, and movies, not to mention games. So it makes sense in a way that, without proper guidance, if you allow television or games to raise your children, this is one possible outcome.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Keep in mind, I'm not in favor of gun confiscation but some of your observations are interesting.
Do you know where gun culture really ramped up? Not it's roots in America but where it really became cool? First, in reference to the roots of the gun culture, this nation was liberated, won and founded with guns. After America won her independence from England, guns were still vitaly important. The land was so harsh and so untamed that you needed those firearms almost constantly. It was a time when there was no electricity, no running water and no ready made food. Every man old enough to use a gun, had to use it to kill food to feed his family. Also, there were the natives. That is too deep of a topic to cover here, but every man of fighting age found his gun a necessity to defend his very life and those of his family. They could not just call the police in those days.
Now, as to the time when guns became the object of every starry eyed boy and a few girls too. Was, after our fighting men had helped to assure world peace in the wake of world wars one and two, after they returned, they were national heroes and every young man wanted to be like them. Later, when television programming began, there were shows that further glorified the US GI and also the cowboy shows and movies because in that age, that was what the American public wanted to see.
As time has progressed, television programming has grown steadily more violent, and movies, not to mention games. So it makes sense in a way that, without proper guidance, if you allow television or games to raise your children, this is one possible outcome.
Already millions of research has been donr and always has the same outcome. Games and movies don't cause people to do attrocities so i really don't know why you would even bring that up. Research has actually proven that games make people less violent since they work out their rage and so forth in their games so what you're saying is 100 percent false

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Already millions of research has been donr and always has the same outcome. Games and movies don't cause people to do attrocities so i really don't know why you would even bring that up. Research has actually proven that games make people less violent since they work out their rage and so forth in their games so what you're saying is 100 percent false
From my previous post, this quote:
"So it makes sense in a way that, without proper guidance, if you allow television or games to raise your children, this is one possible outcome"

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
From my previous post, this quote:
"So it makes sense in a way that, without proper guidance, if you allow television or games to raise your children, this is one possible outcome"
How so ? There hasn't been a single case where people became agressive and disturbed because of that. No just no

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Games and Movies and violence.

All the meta studies that I've read show, that there is an effect, but that its only temporary (goes away within the hour (at max)).

So thats the "being pumped after leaving a movie" or "being aggravated after a specific game over" part. Thats all that was measured.

There might still be long term effects, but those are almost impossible to measure. :)

Also - other countries, also into videogames, dont have those numbers.

The reason videogames pop up in the media, is politicians and media outlets searching for "simple solutions".

People are after politicians ("You do nothing"), politician looks for scapegoat, some parent tells them its videogames - those have not a huge political lobby, so videogames it is... ;) (Look at those graphic images!)

Media also likes simple here is whats causing it stories, and videogames are their direct competition, and politicians agree, so videogames it is.. ;)

That all originates with parents btw. Parents hate stuff their kids are into and they dont understand. They think it must be evil. ;) Be it books, or certain kinds of music, or snapchat... ;)

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It seems that the Liberal policies in Colorado of promoting mental illness (pushing the trans movement on children) and legalizing drugs is really working out well for them. Best of luck when these kids start using mushrooms!
This is just as stupid as blaming video games as the cause, I hope you realize. Nobody's "pushing" transgenderism on anybody in Colorado, that's dumb. We simply aren't bigoted against trans individuals like the South.

Because we're centrally located, we get crazies moving here from every part of the country. You can imagine that the ones from Florida are bad enough on their own.

Last edited by Xzi,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
It seems that the Liberal policies in Colorado of promoting mental illness (pushing the trans movement on children) and legalizing drugs is really working out well for them. Best of luck when these kids start using mushrooms!
You are mentally deranged.

Pushing the trans movement onto children. Are you high? By what showing imagery that its at least accepted, but still a bit... off kilter?

Also drugs arent drugs arent drugs. Did they take cannabis or alcohol? (Havent heard the news reports.) Those can temporarily induce psychosis in people, other medical drugs shouldnt. I mean, with the US medical system who knows, you've literally got people pushing heroin derivates via prescription to a mass population. For profit. Legally.

Just in short, there is a way to handle the "drug" issue, without shouting that all drugs themselves are the source of all evil. (And the argument is actually more varied, than with guns, because there are different drugs, doing different things. So what drugs where they on?)

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: Xzi

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How so ? There hasn't been a single case where people became agressive and disturbed because of that. No just no
My meaning is, you can allow your children to play violent games and watch violent programming, IF it is in moderation and if it is mixed with guidance and common sense. A well rounded young person who has many experiences and varied interests vs one whom the parent never has time for and never makes their child a priority or even a significant part of their life, never invests the time to guide them in how life works, but instead, let's telly and games mentor their child. Then gun violence is a significant possible result.

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Guns are made to kill. I have no problem with this.

What I have a problem with is morons using guns. The thing is that if you take the guns away the morons will still find something to use to kill with. I mean, before we had guns what did people use? In Europe they have a "knife" murder problem. What's next, take away knives?

There's a lot of blame to go around.

I admit that guns are partly to blame, but the percentage of blame is so minute compared to things like irresponsible parenting, exposure to extreme forms of media, lack of faith, idealistics that result in "triggered" people who can't control their own emotions, etc ... There are a lot of things that contribute to mentally unstable people, but you just can't go around blaming an intimidate object for something as complex as "why did the transititiong teenager go on a shooting spree"?

Clearly Liberal policies hold a really big percentage when it comes to figuring out "why" this happened. They encourage violence by teaching our kids the wrong ways to deal with being bullied, they encourage people who don't fall under their own clinical exemptions list to transition based solely on "how they feel" and not some underlying medical condition (which I remind you is very rare to begin with), they encourage hate and bigotry and allow it to happen as long as it's against someone else who doesn't share their own "only valid point of view", they teach people that science is the only logical and valid replacement for Religious Beliefs and in Colorado they encourage the use of addicting substances (nicotine, alcohol, marijuana and mushrooms) that have a higher potential for misuse and abuse (especially among children who do not understand addiction, but unfortunately are going to find out the hard way). Liberals policies also take aim at the traditional family unit which has in the past, in most cases, produced valued citizens that want to and do help
society.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just in short, there is a way to handle the "drug" issue, without shouting that all drugs themselves are the source of all evil. (And the argument is actually more varied, than with guns, because there are different drugs, doing different things. So what drugs where they on?)

Drugs like marijuana, when used in a controlled environment in small doses which are regulated can benefit a person. I don't argue this. However, when you are abusing a substance which is known to induce psychosis and lead to other permanent mental disorders and this abuse is being done by a child you're only asking for trouble. Have you ever seen anyone on a "bad" mushroom trip? If not, you'll be soon(tm) be seeing them if you're a citizen of Denver, Co. (In which case if I ever visit Denver I'll make sure I'm strapped to take care of any nut job that tries to physically assault me).

Yeah, it's not clear which drugs these kids were taking, but Marijuana is a likely culprit since it's been legalized in Colorado. I also don't doubt they were probably smoking more than just weed.

Last edited by cots,
Reactions: zomborg

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
My meaning is, you can allow your children to play violent games and watch violent programming, IF it is in moderation and if it is mixed with guidance and common sense. A well rounded young person who has many experiences and varied interests vs one whom the parent never has time for and never makes their child a priority or even a significant part of their life, never invests the time to guide them in how life works, but instead, let's telly and games mentor their child. Then gun violence is a significant possible result.
Then it is because of a developmental disorder and not because of tv. Lack of care causes developmental disorders and is the cause of what.you're saying and again not tv or anything else.

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I whole heartedly agree with your statement. One area that the liberal mindset permeates a young adults mind is at institutions of higher learning. They are no longer teaching them how to think but instead they are teaching them what to think and instead of reasoning problems out for themselves, they are being taught that how they feel is more important.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Drugs like marijuana, when used in a controlled environment in small doses which are regulated can benefit a person. I don't argue this. However, when you are abusing a substance which is known to induce psychosis and lead to other permanent mental disorders and this abuse is being done by a child you're only asking for trouble.
You know these drugs aren't being legalized for ages 0 and up, right? And that decriminalization doesn't mean shrooms are going to be sold in stores? Just checking.

Yeah, it's not clear which drugs these kids were taking, but Marijuana is a likely culprit since it's been legalized in Colorado. I also don't doubt they were probably smoking more than just weed.
You gotta be the only person left in this country that believes Reefer Madness was an objectively true documentary. :rolleyes:

This type of exaggeration and hysteria is the reason anti-drug programs like DARE failed. They weren't truthful about the effects and potential dangers of recreational drugs.

Last edited by Xzi,

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know these drugs aren't being legalized for ages 0 and up, right? And that decriminalization doesn't mean shrooms are going to be sold in stores? Just checking.

You gotta be the only person left in this country that believes Reefer Madness was an objectively true documentary. :rolleyes:

No, but by decriminalizing mushrooms it sends a message to the public that they are "okay" to consume which is going to lead to more abuse. Kids emulate older adults. The decision will end up with more children than before tripping on shrooms.

I used to smoke weed, but I abused it and I learned first hand on how addiction worked. I wish there was some way to convey to these kids that addictions aren't a good thing so they wouldn't have to experience it first hand. I don't think sending them the message that it's okay to do addicting substances is the right answer.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I whole heartedly agree with your statement. One area that the liberal mindset permeates a young adults mind is at institutions of higher learning. They are no longer teaching them how to think but instead they are teaching them what to think and instead of reasoning problems out for themselves, they are being taught that how they feel is more important.

Yeah, "How you feel" is important, but it shouldn't considered the main factor in how you act. I mean, maybe you're not hungry so you shouldn't eat for 10 days due to this? Or you're having problems with transitioning and abusing drugs so you "feel" bad and it's okay to go shooting up a school?

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then it is because of a developmental disorder and not because of tv. Lack of care causes developmental disorders and is the cause of what.you're saying and again not tv or anything else.
Ummm, you could call it that. Developmental disorder is what is has been changed to in modern psychological dialect but basically it's called the parents didn't do their job.
By the way, I have friends who raised their children with zero exposure to modern forms of entertainment. No TV and no games. They let them watch limited programming from the past which was much less violent and they only played old nes and pc games.
Their children are some of the most rational, level headed, courteous young people I've ever met.

Reactions: ChokingVictim87

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ummm, you could call it that. Developmental disorder is what is has been changed to in modern psychological dialect but basically it's called the parents didn't do their job.
By the way, I have friends who raised their children with zero exposure to modern forms of entertainment. No TV and no games. They let them watch limited programming from the past which was much less violent and they only played old nes and pc games.
Their children are some of the most rational, level headed, courteous young people I've ever met.

There is a reason why there are warning labels and age ratings on movies, music and video games. They do have a negative impact on people and mostly on younger audiences. If you think letting your child play violent video games that are rated M all day long is good because you can have more time to post selfies on facebook you're a really shitty parent.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
No, but by decriminalizing mushrooms it sends a message to the public that they are "okay" to consume which is going to lead to more abuse. Kids emulate older adults. The decision will end up with more children than before tripping on shrooms
Not true, teenage use of marijuana declined in Colorado after its legalization. Not to mention that, following this logic, every pre-teen would already be an alcoholic and addicted to cigarettes.

I used to smoke weed, but I abused it (most likely because it's addicting) and after some years the effects weren't positive and eventually I was able to kick the addiction. I currently consume CBD and I'd still smoke weed (THC) if it didn't experience negative effects. Although, I learned first hand on how addiction worked. I wish there was some way to convey to these kids that addictions aren't a good thing so they wouldn't have to experience it first hand. I don't think sending them the message that it's okay to do addicting substances is the right answer.
The message is, and since legalization, always has been "wait until you're 21." You seem to think dispensaries are handing out free samples to kids or something. The reality is that marijuana is now more heavily regulated, and there are fewer dealers on the streets that kids can illegally obtain weed from.

Again, not that this has anything to do with school shootings. More than half the country has weed legal in recreational or medicinal form now.

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not true, teenage use of marijuana declined in Colorado after its legalization. Not to mention that, following this logic, every pre-teen would already be an alcoholic and addicted to cigarettes. The message is, and since legalization, always has been "wait until you're 21." You seem to think dispensaries are handing out free samples to kids or something. The reality is that marijuana is now more heavily regulated, and there are fewer dealers on the streets that kids can illegally obtain weed from.

Not many people listen to that message as we have been given an example with this situation. Free samples? Plenty of drug users encourage and get younger kids hooked on them - that's how it works. Sort of like how Liberals start grooming children starting in Elementary school.

Last edited by cots,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Not many people listen to that message as we have been given an example with this situation.
I just gave you a link that proves you wrong. There's less teenage use after legalization than there was before it.

Free samples? Plenty of drug users encourage and get younger kids hooked on them - that's how it works.
Sounds like another DARE line. As you grow up you realize nobody is giving out drugs for free. You might as well be saying there are people out there handing out free money.

As I said, with marijuana legal, cheap, and more heavily regulated, the illegal dealers have to focus more on other drugs. Even opioid use declined after marijuana legalization, however, and Colorado is at half the national average for testing positive for opioids.

Sort of like how Liberals start grooming children starting in Elementary school.
I don't know why you tried to slip this bullshit in, it's not remotely related to the subject you were discussing previously. Liberal parents raise children in a liberal environment, and vice versa for conservative parents. No pre-school is teaching your children advanced political theory, Jesus.

Last edited by Xzi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @realtimesave, who is gary?