Gaming school banned me from using wifi

thehatergator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i tried to torrent something the other day and now I can't connect to my school's wifi is there a way to get access to it again?

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not if they blacklisted your computer and/or phone.
How do you log in? through a school ID portal? or with a wireless network name and network key?

lemonmaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should have used a vpn... :ha:

Your best bet is forgetting and trying to reconnect, reconnect on a vpn, or flat out going to higher up at your school and tell them you can't connect for some strange reason

Also if your going to use a vpn use one from https://www.privacytools.io/providers/vpn/, I highly suggest Mullvad because of they have the best security for a vpn out there, cheap, and have a nice wide variety of payments for anyone including mail in payment.
Don't be too cheap and use a free vpn though, that's just being stupid.

MonkeyDKid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
lol. how u access the wifi, u access it with login page or something like that or not?. if not maybe try changing your mac address.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
As IC_ mentioned, swap your MAC address, should fix that problem for the most part. Most IT techs that "ban" a person from wifi will generally do so by banning the MAC address of whatever devices you use to login (if you use multiples, like phone/tablet etc, they'll usually try and ban those as well though some lazy ones might not bother). If wifi access for your school requires a separate browser auth page, then you're probably fucked, in which case just borrow a friend's login and use theirs.

After that, use a VPN.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
if they use a Enterprise network, he is screwed if so. Then they banned the user account.
Most likely it's a MAC ban and they're easy to go around.

thehatergator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As IC_ mentioned, swap your MAC address, should fix that problem for the most part. Most IT techs that "ban" a person from wifi will generally do so by banning the MAC address of whatever devices you use to login (if you use multiples, like phone/tablet etc, they'll usually try and ban those as well though some lazy ones might not bother). If wifi access for your school requires a separate browser auth page, then you're probably fucked, in which case just borrow a friend's login and use theirs.

After that, use a VPN.
how do I swap a mac address without being connected to the internet?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Does it just deny connecting to the wifi network or do you connect to it but then you can't connect to any websites or anything? You could try changing the MAC address of your wifi device
it denys connection

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
You don't need internet access to change your MAC address. Assuming you're using Windows, just go into your wireless cards properties from Device Manager, go to the "Advanced" tab, and there should be something along the lines of "network address" or "locally assigned address", usually the first but I've seen a couple different ways.

Set the value to any 12 character address (you can google mac address generators, if you want one that will be guaranteed to work), and once done it should be changed. You can check and make sure it changed from cmd prompt, type "ipconfig /all" without the quotes and check the Physical Address line, that should be the same as whatever you entered.

Reactions: CactusMan

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
how do I swap a mac address without being connected to the internet?

it denys connection
Assuming Windows:
If you go to Device Manager->Network adapters->right click the wifi adapter->Properties->Advanced
Some wifi adapters allow you to change the MAC address there.
Otherwise, you need a special program to change it and I'm not sure what works for that.
In any case, you can use your phone or other device to download whatever program you need and copy it to your PC over USB.

Offtopic but slightly on topic

Why torrent when Mega/Zippy/Googledrive/Uploaded/etc exist?

Come on man.
Are you seriously suggesting free file hosts as an alternative to torrenting? Riddled with ads, slow download speeds and long wait times, dead links and occasional fakes/malware?
Free file hosts are a last resort when no other option is available. But they are a terrible user experience.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Offtopic but slightly on topic

Why torrent when Mega/Zippy/Googledrive/Uploaded/etc exist?

Come on man.
Because not everything can be found on Mega/zippy/gdrive/uploaded/etc, and most file sharing sites have artificial limits in place that will force you to either deal with extremely slow speeds, limited number of downloads at one time, or force you to pay for their premium crap to access it.

I much prefer torrents to anything else.

Reactions: IC_

TunaKetchup

The Goose is Loose
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Because not everything can be found on Mega/zippy/gdrive/uploaded/etc, and most file sharing sites have artificial limits in place that will force you to either deal with extremely slow speeds, limited number of downloads at one time, or force you to pay for their premium crap to access it.

I much prefer torrents to anything else.

The money you spend on VPN for torrents can be easily used to buy a Mega account or a 1ficher account.

Probably cheaper too.

But whatever. I haven't had to torrent anything in years.

because torrents don't constantly get taken down, leading to dead links

If you find a decent private forum then you wont have to worry about dead links.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
because torrents don't constantly get taken down, leading to dead links
No. Just dead/bad seeds and a better chance for corruption, believe it or not.

The money you spend on VPN for torrents can be easily used to buy a Mega account or a 1ficher account.

Probably cheaper too.

But whatever. I haven't had to torrent anything in years.

If you find a decent private forum then you wont have to worry about dead links.
Honestly? Fuck Mega. 1ficher maybe. That's depending on the source.

D

Deleted User

why would a casual pirate want to look into private forums? are they not... y'know... private and hard to find? i know i wouldn't want to spend an hour finding some obscure forum if i can just find a torrent in like 10 minutes

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/8tRQnqT