Hacking Save Nintendo WiFi - A project to save online servers for Wii (and DS) games

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the news, not ALL games have shut down. Conduit still runs, so do several WiiWare games I tried. However Animal Crossing:City Folk does not nor does Endless Ocean. If you try the gate it says "this service has been shut down, please see Nintendo for alternatives" Or something to that effect.

So apparently games that used a certain method (Nintendo's first party method, the same as Mariokart, Animal Crossing, etc) to connect to Gamespy servers are offline. BUT games that didn't use that method are still running and probably will at least until the end of the month. Possibly next month as well. I found many references to a 5/31 shut down for Gamespy but Wikipedia said it had been extended until the end of June. However I have not been able to confirm that yet.

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
what is the point today? is possible play some games? neek20 for launch modded wiisystem menu can be usefull? people need to patch main.dol ? lan games is possible? and share it via internet? (Like xbs link for 360?)

Wiimm

Developer
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
Maintenance

After Nintendo closed their servers, we have much traffic on our custom server. The whole evening I analysed this first stress test. And now I have to change different things. So I will shutdown the server Tomorrow, May 21., at 15:30 UTC (=17:30 CET). I need about 30-60 minutes to reorganize some database tables, and maybe more.

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what is the point today? is possible play some games? neek20 for launch modded wiisystem menu can be usefull? people need to patch main.dol ? lan games is possible? and share it via internet? (Like xbs link for 360?)
The point is they are ALL going away (if not today then soon) and no matter of a small patch is going to fix it. A server is required to act as a "lobby" or connection point. The games were never designed to connect directly until they went though a lobby/connection server.

I suppose it is possible for a patch to be developed (likely a different one is needed for each game) that would allow you to connect directly to someone by giving their IP address, but I doubt it. It would involve major recoding of each game in question. Even now you need a softmodded wii, a USB loader, and patched game to get on Wiimm's sever. I doubt a better method will be made. But hey if there is great. Personally I am thrilled that there IS a alternative now. :)

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm probably gonna attract some hate here but...
why do you want to save Nintendo wifi for DS and Wii?

It sucked, and there's max 3 games on both that were even worth investing time into looking at online.

Darkshade

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

It sucked, and there's max 3 games on both that were even worth investing time into looking at online.

That's 3 more than 0, and because many people would disagree with you.
It would be a shame to lose features of any video game to history - You might think that the online features of the Wii/DS games suck, but to reach that conclusion you had to experience them yourself.
After today, there will be some that will have never had the ability to do that, and in my opinion that alone is a good enough reason to save it.

Black-Ice

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's 3 more than 0,

And still not enough to campaign seriously for the revival of a whole (bad) internet infrastructure

It would be a shame to lose features of any video game to history

It was a shame to lose Sega from the console race, I'd much rather campaign for the revival of the dreamcast with full HD ports and a whole new library of games.

You might think that the online features of the Wii/DS games suck, but to reach that conclusion you had to experience them yourself.

I did.
And it was by far the least satisfactory internet experience i've had, years behind everything it competed against.

After today, there will be some that will have never had the ability to do that, and in my opinion that alone is a good enough reason to save it.

I weren't around to experience dinosaurs.
Doesn't make me entitled to a time machine to go see some.

Darkshade

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I weren't around to experience dinosaurs.
Doesn't make me entitled to a time machine to go see some.

I'm almost certain that you weren't, but if such a service existed, I'd be willing to bet thousands upon thousands would use it.
I don't think anybody is claiming that they are entitled to use Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, but a great deal of people care about it, and various games have lost a large portion of their gameplay to the shutdown.
People care about those games, and would like to continue playing them or preserve the experience for others, even if it means taking matters into their own hands (Such as this project).

Black-Ice

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm almost certain that you weren't, but if such a service existed, I'd be willing to bet thousands upon thousands would use it.
I don't think anybody is claiming that they are entitled to use Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, but a great deal of people care about it, and various games have lost a large portion of their gameplay to the shutdown.
People care about those games, and would like to continue playing them or preserve the experience for others, even if it means taking matters into their own hands (Such as this project).

Fair enough.
Out of interest, what games that arent Pokemon/SSB/Mario Kart are cared for?

Toad King

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

because the ds has metroid prime hunters, its the main reason i started this project

makarios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fair enough.

Okay, I'll take that bait...
The ones I have been working on:

• Bomberman Blast
  • Big Brain Academy
  • Tetris Party
  • CueSports Pool Revolution
  • Rayman Raving Rabbids
  • Reload
As for the reason why? Because I enjoy playing the games online, and am in a position to help keep that bit of enjoyment alive. I don't think there need be any other reason than that.

~makarios~

Darkshade

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fair enough.

Going by the packets on the save-nintendo-wifi website, those on the wii homebrew website and some in each thread;

Excitebots: Trick Racing
Geometry Wars: Galaxies
Goldeneye 007
Mega Man 9
Monster Lab
Rock Band 3
Spectrobes: Origins
Fortune Street
The Last Story
Jet Impulse
Animal Crossing: Wild World
Advance Wars
Dungeon Explorer: Warriors of Ancient Arts
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
LostMagic
Jump Ultimate Stars
Lunar Knights
Lost Magic
Mega Man Star Force 1/2/3
Metroid Prime Hunters
Phantasy Star 0
Prey the Stars
Spectrobes: Beyond the Portals
Star Fox Command
Tetris DS
Tetris Party
WarioWare D.I.Y
Various Yu-Gi-Oh! Games
Personal Trainer Walking

I've probably missed a ton, but this was just with a quick skim-through.

Black-Ice

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Fair enough to all you've said so far.
Just quickly before I drop out
Maybe Goldeneye, Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom, COD, Conduit and Sonic All Stars, Mario Strikers and Animal Crossing.

COD and Sonic all stars are much better on every other platform, AC is on 3ds. I'll give you strikers, that game was fun and should get a sequel.
Meep to the rest.
I guess I can't see it coz i've never been a huge nintendo fanatic.
Good luck, you gonna need a lot of luck.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time

<3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://twitter.com/TakiUdon_/status/1784139240328310955?cxt=HBwW1sLVmfbLxMIxAAAA&cn=ZmxleGlibGVf...