Homebrew Saturn emulation using Cotton/Guardian Force testing and debug

Levine91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Max CPU overclocking fixed the input lag in Panzer Dragoon for me, the difference is day and night :)

BTW I don’t use nsp installation, I do title override if someone is interested in this method to avoid risk of being banned.

View attachment 279085

Would this allow for the use of multiple games then?
If so, I would love to know.
Also would love to know how to do the name & icon changes, assuming those are legit changes and not the LayeredFS route with drag & dropping an image into the content folder.

UnT7oh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
learn how to change it back to normal, problem solved, if you dont like spoon feeding, dont use the file i shared
I was using this emulator day one, with my own properly made custom nsp. I'm wondering why you're sharing that trash with others.

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was using this emulator day one, with my own properly made custom nsp. I'm wondering why you're sharing that trash with others.
you can stop your Trash talk and go back to your cave, if you are going to talk nonsense in public, avoiding you from now on
if you wanted to show off, then share your files, if you dont share it then dont write anything

UnT7oh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can stop your Trash talk and go back to your cave, if you are going to talk nonesens in public, avoiding you from now on
These settings persist until your save is edited or deleted, so it's adviseable to have the cleanest/best settings in place by default for the people you're sharing with. Stretched widescreen is an abomination.

zenjiki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty awesome compatibility and speed so far, ive needed to OC for some games but pretty much full speed for most games ive tried. Fighters Megamix, X-men VS Street fighter, VF remix.

Question for the more advance users, some games volume both music and sfx are really low and some are normal... is there a way to increase sound? was looking at the provided .ini and saw the line for volume so I increased it but so far notice no increase in volume? Anyone has had any luck with increasing the volume?

UnT7oh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty awesome compatibility and speed so far, ive needed to OC for some games but pretty much full speed for most games ive tried. Fighters Megamix, X-men VS Street fighter, VF remix.

Question for the more advance users, some games volume both music and sfx are really low and some are normal... is there a way to increase sound? was looking at the provided .ini and saw the line for volume so I increased it but so far notice no increase in volume? Anyone has had any luck with increasing the volume?
You'll need to delete or edit your save for the setting to take effect.

Levine91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like nobody shared this yet for some reason but there's a tool for decrypting everything from your own dumped files: https://github.com/shadowninja108/STD/releases

Thanks for this...
Sound on Cotton2 & Boomerang is at 0.70 while Guardian Force is at 0.93? huh..

Also if you do indeed have a method of creating custom NSPs so we aren't limited to 4 (well, 6) games, definitely fill us in.

Gabriel2Silva

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Dumping was only to experiment with the files and get an idea of the workings of it. To actually play Saturn games you dont need to dump anything.

Simply;

Install one of the games. Either the Triple Collection or each game as a standalone depending on where you "get" the game ;)
Create a Title Id folder of your chosen game and place in your "Contents" folder for atmosphere or "Titles" folder for SXOS.
0100094014BE4006 for Collection
010077001526E002 for Boomerang standalone
0100A18015268002 for Cotton 2 standalone
Place a "romfs" folder inside the title ID folder
Place your Saturn roms in romfs folder in .bin format
Rename the .cue file for your saturn roms to either Cotton2.cue for the collection/Cotton 2 standalone or CottonBoomerang.cue for Boomerang Standalone
Reboot your switch for changes to take effect
Launch game.

Tried this with both standalone Cotton 2 and the Collection. Tested Sakura Taisen and Policenauts, both English Patched. None worked, stuck on black screen after the initial logos/Playing Guide. I must be doing something wrong or I'm just extremely unlucky and the only two games I've tested won't work. Can anyone confirm?

EDIT: SOTN english patched worked, so I guess Sakura Taisen and Policenauts are incompatible as of now. Maybe it's because the cue file mentions .wav files (in both of these games)? Can anyone experiment?

Last edited by Gabriel2Silva,

Levine91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried this with both standalone Cotton 2 and the Collection. Tested Sakura Taisen and Policenauts, both English Patched. None worked, stuck on black screen after the initial logos/Playing Guide. I must be doing something wrong or I'm just extremely unlucky and the only two games I've tested won't work. Can anyone confirm?

EDIT: SOTN english patched worked, so I guess Sakura Taisen and Policenauts are incompatible as of now. Maybe it's because the cue file mentions .wav files (in both of these games)? Can anyone experiment?

So I've been looking into this for a bit since I saw your post an hour or so ago.
The emulator doesn't seem to support ISO+WAV+CUE (which falls in line with older versions of SSF).
I converted my already patched copies of both games to BIN+CUE using AnyBurn.
After doing such, both games work perfectly.

Open AnyBurn -> Select "Convert image file format" -> Choose the .CUE file as the source image -> Make sure "Select image file type" is set to .BIN/.CUE and click "Convert Now"

Simple as that!

Reactions: HyperShadow

hackotedelaplaqu

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
France
Setting bilinear to off (0) in ini doesn't seem to have any effect. Any confirmation and workaround here ? Thanks.
Tested with single eshop Cotton2 NSP and layered romfs with Albery Odyssey swaped.
Thans.

shadow256

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've managed to create an injected game with a custom Title ID, Title Name, Publisher, Version and icon, I can create as many games I want now. For now my script is only usable with Guardian Force, need to be adapted for the 3 other games and need to make the error controls. After that I will make the ini edit more friendly.

xYuunax

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Setting bilinear to off (0) in ini doesn't seem to have any effect. Any confirmation and workaround here ? Thanks.
Tested with single eshop Cotton2 NSP and layered romfs with Albery Odyssey swaped.
Thans.
The ini is saved into a savedata upon first launch. So any additional changes later won't take affect unless you delete the save to startover. You can turn off bilinear in-game, use the option menu. Other workaround is to edit the save.

Last edited by xYuunax,

xYuunax

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I noticed the save file had some additional settings.

Can change the emulator defaults like wallpaper, language by adding to ini.

Code:
[EachGame]
AntiAliasing="0"
HighScore="0"
Language="0"
PlayNumber="0"
Scanline="0"
ScanlineRatio="80"
ScreenSize="1"
SlowButton="13"
Wallpaper="0"

Reactions: ZER-O and Levine91

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying