Homebrew Saturn emulation using Cotton/Guardian Force testing and debug

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sounding like a broken record here and i'm sorry but if someone can get me through here i would be more than happy. I'm stuck in Virtual on control device select screen. I'm unaible to select player 2 cotroller type. I use my joycons and they do work but this game refuses to exept my red joycon as player 2 so i can't get past this.
you need to setup controller 1 and controller 2, then you can start the game

Levine91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the current romfs along with a screenshot of my cotton2.cue

I didn't touch the .ini file so it's the original encrypted Cotton2_Switch.ini

I used NXDUMPTOOL to dump the romfs

FYI I'm on
System 12.1.0
Atmos M.19.5 EmuMMC

The content folder I have for Cotton 2 is 0100A18015268002 where you have 0100A18015268000 for some reason.. not sure how that is but that might be the problem

EDIT: You may have dumped the wrong romfs file now that I'm looking at NXDumpTool again.
You should have dumped just the 3rd listed option which shows (ID Offset: 2)

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have done that but soon as i boot the game i cant use the red one.
it was mentioned in the Tested list in first page,
i Quote:
Virtual On: Cyber Troopers (USA)
- Perfect? (For some reason the game initially makes you confirm 2 controllers before the start screen. However you can progress as normal in single player after this. No other issues)

i have not tried this game as i have Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram for Dream Cast FlyCast Version on my Switch and i consider it the Ultimate Version of Virtual On

there is another game on PsVita (A Certain Magical Virtual-On) with Humans in it.....

Last edited by ZER-O,

helvetinperkeles

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
it was mentioned in the Tested list in first page,
i Quote:
Virtual On: Cyber Troopers (USA)
- Perfect? (For some reason the game initially makes you confirm 2 controllers before the start screen. However you can progress as normal in single player after this. No other issues)

i have not tried this game as i have Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram for Dream Cast FlyCast Version on my Switch and i consider it the Ultimate Version of Virtual On

there is another game on PsVita (A Certain Magical Virtual-On) with Humans in it.....
But i just want this one. It's one of my favourite games 🤣. Maybe it needs pro controller to work 🤔

Thorhax

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The content folder I have for Cotton 2 is 0100A18015268002 where you have 0100A18015268000 for some reason.. not sure how that is but that might be the problem

EDIT: You may have dumped the wrong romfs file now that I'm looking at NXDumpTool again.
You should have dumped just the 3rd listed option which shows (ID Offset: 2)

Weird
I dumped the 3rd file.
Also my nxdumptool shows 0100A18015268000

Attachments

• 20211009_173047.jpg
    20211009_173047.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 86
  • 20211009_173350.jpg
    20211009_173350.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 79
  • 20211009_173448.jpg
    20211009_173448.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 93

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But i just want this one. It's one of my favorite games 🤣. Maybe it needs pro controller to work 🤔
i have found a way to inject the games into separate Custom Cotton2 Title ID, the App that does it is Private
if someone willing to share a public alternative to separate the games, then ill make you a pack with pre made RomFS with an NSP Forwarder

if a methood is shared, i will look into making a Tutorial for repacking the Whole Saturn Game inside the NSP instead of using RomFS with premade icons with saturn game covers for HOS menu

this is possible the same way Mario 64 Port NSP was done or AM2R NSP

i prefer if a Wizard can extract the emulator and repack it as an NRO emulator

for now i am researching something else, how to remove the intro Logos from Unity Frontend side before the Emulator starts, so far i found its possible with the leaked SDK tool

Last edited by ZER-O,

Levine91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have found a way to inject the games into separate Custom Cotton2 Title ID, the App that does it is Private
if someone willing to share a public alternative to separate the games, then ill make you a pack with pre made RomFS with an NSP Forwarder

if a methood is shared, i will look into making a Tutorial for repacking the Whole Saturn Game inside the NSP instead of using RomFS with premade icons with saturn game covers for HOS menu

this is possible the same way Mario 64 Port NSP was done or AM2R NSP

i prefer if a Wizard can extract the emulator and repack it as an NRO emulator

for now i am researching something else, how to remove the intro Logos from Unity Frontend side before the Emulator starts, so far i found its possible with the leaked SDK tool

UGH! I was searching for the Custom TitleID solution for hours and hours today.
I hope that the app becomes public or another comes out as you mentioned

Reactions: ZER-O

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Just a reminder for people. You don't need to actually dump anything.

Just make a game title folder (change last digit 6 for collection/2 for standalone) > romfs > drag and drop your .bin and rename the .cue file

That's it. No dumping required.

Reactions: ZER-O

helvetinperkeles

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
My dream is that i can have Nights, Virtual on and Worldwide soccer 97 games as separed games on Switch homemenu all with there right images and infos. That would be so damn cool. But off course main thing is that i can play those. Exept this damn virtua on 🤣

Levine91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anyone wants to investigate this further, possibly mess with the .ini config, I've discovered an oddity going on with Rayman (USA) and Rayman (Japan). Both in the main menu and in-game, any directional input, even very slightly, causes a VERY rapid response in whatever direction. Basically breaks the game as a result.

I'll update my compatibility post noting such, as well as adding a few more successfully emulated games.

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just a reminder for people. You don't need to actually dump anything.

Just make a game title folder (change last digit 6 for collection/2 for standalone) > romfs > drag and drop your .bin and rename the .cue file

That's it. No dumping required.
you forgot to add the effort that was made to remove the lower corner menu and decrypted Settings.ini for Widescreen and 4mb ram! i guess we can just drop those .Tex / .ini in their respective file structures

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain

Another bunch of games tested.

I'm not sure if there's any point on testing them, since the games that work without crashes have always flawless performance, with different degrees of input lag.

New non-working games:

FIFA: Road to World Cup 98. It crashes right before the match, after the menus. But it happens randomly, sometimes you can see a bit of the gameplay.
Gex: Enter the Gecko. It crashes after the first screen.

Now I'm playing them with the 4MB cart. More extensive testing should be done with other carts and tweaking the ton of options that the config file offers. Both games work out of the box on Windows SSF, so it should be a Switch port issue.

Reactions: matt!

shadow256

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Personally I'm hoping either @EddCase or @shadow256 can possibly assist or shed some light on how we can make the injection or changing of the TitleID possible since they've worked on the GUI for NSP Forwarder which has been tremendous in other scenarios.

I've been trying for hours to find a way to just change the TitleID, but I feel like my limited knowledge is just making me hit a brickwall on that one.
To change the TitleID you must set it in the "main.npdm" file and in the "control.nacp" file (in the "control.nacp" you could also change the name and publisher of the game, also you need Hacpack to repack the game into a NSP but it need some extra steps to rebuild the NCAs before repacking into a NSP. I have a script that could repack GameMaker games like that, with some modifications I think I could adapt it for this, when I find some time I will try to investigate.

Levine91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To change the TitleID you must set it in the "main.npdm" file and in the "control.nacp" file (in the "control.nacp" you could also change the name and publisher of the game, also you need Hacpack to repack the game into a NSP but it need some extra steps to rebuild the NCAs before repacking into a NSP. I have a script that could repack GameMaker games like that, with some modifications I think I could adapt it for this, when I find some time I will try to investigate.

It'll be very much appreciated! Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and a buddy used to play that, is pretty fun. Graphics were pretty good also at that time, I think what 5-6 years ago. --Edit yea was 2018
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Surprised they never made a second one.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It takes two was their newest different theme
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I didn't care for that one so much, but didn't play it much either.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just played little of "Still Wakes The Deep" , just came to gamepass today, its alright, kinda creepy. I'm not usually a horror game fan, but it looks really good graphic wise, esp w 4k. I admit it made me jump a few times.
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    Anyone here using the 3DS?
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    do u have pretendo?
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    whats ur code?
  • B @ btjunior:
    i dont have pretendo sorry
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    oh ok
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    well if ur console isnt modded i suggest u to mod it
  • B @ btjunior:
    also, just curius, does the freinds app still work after the shutdown?
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    yes
  • B @ btjunior:
    nice
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    but u cant play online games anymore :(
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    i miss going in other peoples town
  • B @ btjunior:
    yeah
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    i have a friend named Pineapple (@pineappleJuice hi). we played a lot the day b4 the server shutdown
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I preten to know doe
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @LNLenost how well is the pretendo servers, you ever get kicked off games when playing online?
    +1
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    @BigOnYa not always you get kicked. it happens rarely to me.
    +1
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    ofc they're not great, but props to them for making this
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    btw, I decided to make the nintendo support team going insane
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    i told them my badges disappeared after i opened the badge arcade after the shutdown, but actually they disappeared because i opened the badge arcade w/ pretendo
    LNLenost @ LNLenost: i told them my badges disappeared after i opened the badge arcade after the shutdown, but...