Homebrew Running Wii Homebrew .elfs on Wii U Homebrew Launcher?

Biovirulent

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this possible?
A lot of wii homebrew is in .dol format, but even the .elfs don't work. I read that it has to be compatible with the launcher, how would I go about doing that?
I myself don't know coding or compiling, so a more simple explanation would be helpful..

Also, "Why not just use the vWii to run them?"

Well, that's a good question.

I don't have a Wiimote. :lol:

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
Is this possible?
A lot of wii homebrew is in .dol format, but even the .elfs don't work. I read that it has to be compatible with the launcher, how would I go about doing that?
I myself don't know coding or compiling, so a more simple explanation would be helpful..

Also, "Why not just use the vWii to run them?"

Well, that's a good question.

I don't have a Wiimote. :lol:

Unfortunately there's a long, complex list of technicalities that surmises to "it just doesn't work that way." Wii U homebrew runs in Wii U mode; Wii homebrew runs in the vWii. Think PC vs Mac: You can't just run an .exe on a Mac (without fiddling with Wine, anyway) and you can't run a Wii ELF in Wii U mode.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Think PC vs Mac: You can't just run an .exe on a Mac (without fiddling with Wine, anyway) and you can't run a Wii ELF in Wii U mode.
That's not quite the best example, considering there's a fundamental difference with how the OSs work (Windows is NT-based, MacOS/OSX is Unix-based).
I'd almost compare it to trying to launch an app designed for Windows XP in Windows 10. It won't work until you turn a compatibility layer on that's built into the OS. Unfortunately, CafeOS doesn't have that compatibility layer built-in, the apps would all have to be re-worked to account for changes to the system

Reactions: Deleted User

Biovirulent

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not quite the best example, considering there's a fundamental difference with how the OSs work (Windows is NT-based, MacOS/OSX is Unix-based).
I'd almost compare it to trying to launch an app designed for Windows XP in Windows 10. It won't work until you turn a compatibility layer on that's built into the OS. Unfortunately, CafeOS doesn't have that compatibility layer built-in, the apps would all have to be re-worked to account for changes to the system

Oh. No wonder people are using vWii then.

Welp. Time to order an expensive Wiimote. :glare:
god knows why they're so expensive

plyscho

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Maybe you can inject an exploitable game (Super Smash Bros. Brawl for example) into a Wii VC title and start the app from there. But you will still need a Wii Remote. And I have no idea what actually would happen.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Edizius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Maybe you can inject an exploitable game (Super Smash Bros. Brawl for example) into a Wii VC title and start the app from there. But you will still need a Wii Remote. And I have no idea what actually would happen.
This unfortunately not possible but people are at the moment checking how wii vc are embedded. Somewhere on gbatemp there is a thread about it (can't find it at the moment). On wii u hacking discussions there is also a discussion about if it is possible to run an exploit from wii vc but answer as anyhow:"No, not at the moment, but might be possible in future"

plyscho

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This unfortunately not possible but people are at the moment checking how wii vc are embedded. Somewhere on gbatemp there is a thread about it (can't find it at the moment). On wii u hacking discussions there is also a discussion about if it is possible to run an exploit from wii vc but answer as anyhow:"No, not at the moment, but might be possible in future"
Yeah, THIS thread inspired me to create THAT thread. ;)

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
I'd argue that the difference makes it a great example. Cafe OS is fundamentally different to the Wii's OS; with a new kernel, a new IOS setup, and a set of system libraries. The executable format and the hardware are also both different - and with Wii software, hardware is a big one. The vWii is more of a dual-boot system than a compatibility layer - you may remember that fail0verflow talk where they show the lengths Nintendo went to in order to have the Wii U "become" a Wii.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I managed to find one for $15 or so on amazon for the cheapest. Ebay isn't much better.
i hope you bough an original wiimote becuase fakes/3rd partys dont work on most homebrew apps, and you should buy a CC pro also its the best way on vwii to use homebrew since you cant use the wiiu gc adapter on any homebrew besides nintendont and devolution.

Reactions: Biovirulent

Biovirulent

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i hope you bough an original wiimote becuase fakes/3rd partys dont work on most homebrew apps, and you should buy a CC pro also its the best way on vwii to use homebrew since you cant use the wiiu gc adapter on any homebrew besides nintendont and devolution.

I have 3 GC controllers but no adapter for them on the WiiU.
I'm pretty sure it was original though, we'll have to see.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm planning to start building it back up though. Plus, Usenet automation around music downloading has gotten so much better since then
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I used to use high end headphones and speakers JBL back when they made good speakers lol X-Fi Fatality edition sound card on PCI with XP back when Windows had good sound....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Sicklyboy, Using a Fiio DAC and Betron headphones.
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I use AKG K7XX headphones for daily use, but Meze 99 Classics when I want to *enjoy* the music
    +1
    I mean built in sound on mobo's has gotten way better but still XP handled sound better and X-Fi was still better than onboard audio even to this day
    Hell not sure what was going on but for like a few weeks MP3's sounded muffled, some driver or Windows update fixed it. Thank god lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Oh boy Massdrop has $1100 IEMs. Want, but not at that price lmao. https://drop.com/buy/campfire-audio-andromeda-emerald-sea-iem
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'd sooner buy the Meze 109 Pro if I was dropping that much on headphones. I don't even like buds/IEMs
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I got the Google Pixel Pro buds, they're good enough for when I need portable audio. And some really cheap IEMs that Dankpods recommends, I think the KZ ZSN Pro
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd stick with cheapo Chinese $10 ones quality is actually becoming on pair with name brand since name Brand usually quads the price up anyway loose one bud that's another $200
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    My Pixel Pro buds shit the bed a month or two ago. My wireless charger (which they do support Qi charging) absolutely COOKED them. Caused some problem that caused the case to heat up to 180F+
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    They were like 9 months out of warranty but I hit up Google support anyway and told them how hot they were getting and they replaced them with new ones because they wanted these for failure analysis lol
    lol wireless charging
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why I can't bring myself to even spend $100 on wireless earbuds
    I think it's a cool idea but damn
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Apparently the case has a problem with >15W wireless chargers. Google design fault, that one.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I could live with wireless charging if the damn standard case doesn't block connection
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    how is wireless charging possible?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dbz said everyone has raging energy senses
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    you mean generally, how does the concept work?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Copper conducting electricity or something
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @Xdqwerty, power through a coil of wire causes an electromagnetic field to be generated. Another coil of wire can be set up to harness the power from that electromagnetic field and turn it into usable energy for charging a device
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Sicklyboy, 1) ohkay 2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5K3jc6Q3HU