RUMOUR: Wii U Less Powerful Than PS3/Xbox 360

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Yeah seriously who the hell made this front page news? Guild? Was that you?

This is the first rumour of it's kind I've seen on the front page for a while, and it's not even remotely trustworthy. We've had plenty of news more notable than this about the next gen in recent days, and this is what you put up for the site to see?

Hell, there was a thread about this on /v/ the other day, and we just debunked the source and started talking about Pikmin

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This is the first rumour of it's kind I've seen on the front page for a while, and it's not even remotely trustworthy. We've had plenty of news more notable than this about the next gen in recent days, and this is what you put up for the site to see?

Hell, there was a thread about this on /v/ the other day, and we just debunked the source and started talking about Pikmin
Guild explained earlier that it was front-paged due to its contradictions with more reliable sources, deeming it 'interesting'. Judging by the amount of posts here, I'd say Guild was about right.

On topic: For now, I will completely dismiss this rumor as even remotely likely unless proven otherwise, as it completely conflicts with far more reliable sources.

Reactions: 1 person

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania

Guild explained earlier that it was front-paged due to its contradictions with more reliable sources, deeming it 'interesting'. Judging by the amount of posts here, I'd say Guild was about right.

On topic: For now, I will completely dismiss this rumor as even remotely likely unless proven otherwise, as it completely conflicts with far more reliable sources.
The amount of posts here is clearly unrelated to it being featured on the front page.

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The amount of posts here is clearly unrelated to it being featured on the front page.
That is a pretty powerful adjective. Care to fill me in how it is so clear?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think I've ever used the term "I figured as much". I don't really talk like that, it's just not a phrase I use a lot.
Must have been someone else. My mistake.
shh baby shhhs only dreams now
Ok, I'll say it...
lolwat?

I'm not sure who did it,but I find it funny that (it seems literally)everyone is blaming/accusing him for putting it on the front page.

Btw, I didn't even know it was on the front page 'till farther scanning. :P

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania

You've clearly missed something.

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Again spewing those adjectives without explaining them? You CLEARLY cannot fathom such an ambiguous adjective...

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania

Again spewing those adjectives without explaining them? You CLEARLY cannot fathom such an ambiguous adjective...
Someone clearly cannot fathom... satire...
gallery_122809_405_86205.jpg

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Someone clearly cannot fathom... satire...
gallery_122809_405_86205.jpg
Except the first time wasn't a joke. Sure you replied to my reply with a joke and I followed suit, but the original claim still remains unjustified...

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like how people belittle "Nintendo fanboys" when they deny or downplay all good news about the wii u,but
then get giddy (alright!!!) when bad things come around. Waiting in the dark corners of the internet to say "I told you so" or (as Guild put it)"I figure as much" while saying it not even out yet, no one know as if that was their stance in the first place.

I like how Nintendo fanboys accept positive rumors as fact and dismiss negative rumors.

It's called confirmation bias. To be fair, though, everyone does it; it's not just a Nintendo thing.

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking at the size of the system compared to the ps3 and 360 I'm surprised they crammed in as much stuff as they did.

To everyone complaining about it, would you rather have the system be the size of a mini fridge?

zadanlavey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This is a video gamer that has been with you in the good and the bad (ever since I can remember). The reason for my writing this letter is to let you know my opinion on the Wii U, or what is the same, the future of Nintendo.

I still enjoy playing Wii and all of its games that couldn't be enjoyed the same way in any other system. Even games existing already for other platforms came back to life on the Wii as though they had been created for it, i.e. "Okami". Suda 51 could design a good game even on a calculator! But he designed one of the most memorable games for the Nintendo Wii, I'm talking about "No More Heroes", which has also been designed for another platform and which I've certainly played. Even though the graphical difference is abysmal, the gaming experience is not the same. Suda 51 designed this game using the features of the Nintendo Wii, and without them, the game turns into just another game. Capcom made an attempt and successfully left some original and transcending games on the Wii, such as "Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom", "Monster Hunter Tri", "Zack & Wiki" and "Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles". SEGA left us the bloody and entertaining "Mad World"; EA gave us a taste of Dead Space with "Extraction"; Activision contributed with adaptations of Call of Duty; and Nintendo, on the other hand, developed games such as Brawl, Mario Kart, Strikers, Mario Galaxy, New Super Mario Bros., Zelda Twilight Princess, among others. All in all, the experiences playing Wii are hardly to be emulated by any other system and I thank you, guys, for all the moments of amusement I spent alone and in company.

Nowadays, it is not about which system is the best, but on which one I can play a special game. Wii left me without a Bioshock, a Dead Space, an Assassin's Creed, a Half Life, a Fallout, a Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, a Street Fighters IV, a Resident Evil 5, a Silent Hill: Homecoming, a Mortal Kombat 9, a GTA IV, an Oblivion, a Battlefield Bad Company 2, a Ninja Gaiden, a Dante's Inferno, a Red Dead Redemption, a Crysis 2 and I could still mention many other games. The reason for this games not being on the Nintendo Wii was mainly the general capacity of the console regarding graphics, processor and online. A video game lover like myself couldn't just stand still and watch these treasures go by. I was forced to acquire a console on which I could play the games I couldn't find on the Wii.

The very moment I saw the Wii U -along with all its power, beyond the innovativeness and interactivity complemented with the sharp graphical capabilities- I couldn't help but shed a tear out of joy, for I realized that my dream had become true. A Nintendo System supported by the companies that were absent in the franchises on the Nintendo Wii. A Nintendo System taken in consideration when designing games for not just one system. The moment I saw the Wii U, I felt I wouldn't need any other video games console to fulfill myself as a video gamer.

But I recently read a news that disappointed me. It said that you were balancing the Wii U, and that you might sacrifice its power to make it more accessible. As an experienced video gamer, what you guys presented in E3 regarding the Wii U, seemed to me like a system I should have, not an optional system.
Do not sacrifice the power of the Wii U! This is the utter victory for the console, and I'm not forgetting about the innovativeness of the control, but it is because of this power that we will be able to see the support of the big companies with their triple A games in this console.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with these feelings and I'm sure that there are many video gamers out there with this opinion.

Wii U FTW!!
(We want to be proud of our console)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They sent me this:
(01/07/2011)

Hello,

We appreciate your interest in our recently announced Wii U console. I apologize that our response has taken longer than normal. We have been experiencing a high volume of email since the recent E3 announcements and Nintendo 3DS system update.

I’ll make sure that what you said about this system will be forwarded, so your feedback will be heard. We do take all feedback into consideration.

All of the details that we have available to share on the Wii U have been added to the E3 section of our website. Here’s a direct link to the Wii U information:

http://e3.nintendo.com/hw/#/introduction

At this point, we don’t know when any additional announcements might be made. I encourage you to keep checking our website’s “What’s New” section (http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew) for the latest information and announcements.

Sincerely,

Mina Harris
Nintendo of America Inc.

Nintendo's home page: http://www.nintendo.com/

http://www.nintendo.com/consumersurvey.jsp?iid=1245174&aid=99&[email protected]

-_-

Reactions: 2 people

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Actually with the other system being obsolete hardware wise its not hard to believe at all that they can put better component in a smaller package. Look at PC, after 5 year, high end stuff u paid over 3 grands is beaten by low budget 300-500 bux systems.
If we talk GPU wise, the PS3 for instance is using a midrange nvidia Serie 7 equivalent....yeah not hard to do 10 time better.

I call BS on that rumor. Anyone that knows how the CPU, GPU, Arm and co business is would know that its almost impossible to make inferior hardware to things that are as old as the PS3/x360 unless you build it from part that arent even in production anymore or you are really buying the cheapest hardware available as possible....

Back when those consoles were build, the engraving process wasaround 90 nm or 65 nm, now its down to 28nm so performance are up and size are down. I could keep adding about new instructions and lot more things that have evolved since then making it ez for the Wii U to top off both console. Even phones nowadays are getting close to consoles lol.

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aren't you both derailing the thread?
Why, yes... I do belive we were. I do apologize on both of our behalves.

On-topic: Even with less power, the Wii U would probably still do great. I will get one so long as Nintendo keeps making games.

smile72

NewsBot
Trophies
XP
Country
I just can't believe this rumor, because Nintendo would at least want to be a little more powerful than PS3. But if it is true, I don't know, I'll still buy if the games look good, but I don't know.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Actually with the other system being obsolete hardware wise its not hard to believe at all that they can put better component in a smaller package. Look at PC, after 5 year, high end stuff u paid over 3 grands is beaten by low budget 300-500 bux systems.
If we talk GPU wise, the PS3 for instance is using a midrange nvidia Serie 7 equivalent....yeah not hard to do 10 time better.

I call BS on that rumor. Anyone that knows how the CPU, GPU, Arm and co business is would know that its almost impossible to make inferior hardware to things that are as old as the PS3/x360 unless you build it from part that arent even in production anymore or you are really buying the cheapest hardware available as possible....

Back when those consoles were build, the engraving process wasaround 90 nm or 65 nm, now its down to 28nm so performance are up and size are down. I could keep adding about new instructions and lot more things that have evolved since then making it ez for the Wii U to top off both console. Even phones nowadays are getting close to consoles lol.
Pretty much this.You'd have to really try hard to make a device less powerful than a system released six years ago.

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Highly doubt it. Nintendo themselves said it would be "X" times more powerful (can't remember exact #) than current gen consoles In terms of cpu AND graphics.

Plus, Nintendo knows the demand for Hi-Def graphics, they wouldn't lose this potential cash-cow and opt out for lower graphics. They've avoided upping them far too long already.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is a video gamer that has been with you in the good and the bad (ever since I can remember). The reason for my writing this letter is to let you know my opinion on the Wii U, or what is the same, the future of Nintendo.

I still enjoy playing Wii and all of its games that couldn't be enjoyed the same way in any other system. Even games existing already for other platforms came back to life on the Wii as though they had been created for it, i.e. "Okami". Suda 51 could design a good game even on a calculator! But he designed one of the most memorable games for the Nintendo Wii, I'm talking about "No More Heroes", which has also been designed for another platform and which I've certainly played. Even though the graphical difference is abysmal, the gaming experience is not the same. Suda 51 designed this game using the features of the Nintendo Wii, and without them, the game turns into just another game. Capcom made an attempt and successfully left some original and transcending games on the Wii, such as "Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom", "Monster Hunter Tri", "Zack & Wiki" and "Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles". SEGA left us the bloody and entertaining "Mad World"; EA gave us a taste of Dead Space with "Extraction"; Activision contributed with adaptations of Call of Duty; and Nintendo, on the other hand, developed games such as Brawl, Mario Kart, Strikers, Mario Galaxy, New Super Mario Bros., Zelda Twilight Princess, among others. All in all, the experiences playing Wii are hardly to be emulated by any other system and I thank you, guys, for all the moments of amusement I spent alone and in company.

Nowadays, it is not about which system is the best, but on which one I can play a special game. Wii left me without a Bioshock, a Dead Space, an Assassin's Creed, a Half Life, a Fallout, a Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, a Street Fighters IV, a Resident Evil 5, a Silent Hill: Homecoming, a Mortal Kombat 9, a GTA IV, an Oblivion, a Battlefield Bad Company 2, a Ninja Gaiden, a Dante's Inferno, a Red Dead Redemption, a Crysis 2 and I could still mention many other games. The reason for this games not being on the Nintendo Wii was mainly the general capacity of the console regarding graphics, processor and online. A video game lover like myself couldn't just stand still and watch these treasures go by. I was forced to acquire a console on which I could play the games I couldn't find on the Wii.

The very moment I saw the Wii U -along with all its power, beyond the innovativeness and interactivity complemented with the sharp graphical capabilities- I couldn't help but shed a tear out of joy, for I realized that my dream had become true. A Nintendo System supported by the companies that were absent in the franchises on the Nintendo Wii. A Nintendo System taken in consideration when designing games for not just one system. The moment I saw the Wii U, I felt I wouldn't need any other video games console to fulfill myself as a video gamer.

But I recently read a news that disappointed me. It said that you were balancing the Wii U, and that you might sacrifice its power to make it more accessible. As an experienced video gamer, what you guys presented in E3 regarding the Wii U, seemed to me like a system I should have, not an optional system.
Do not sacrifice the power of the Wii U! This is the utter victory for the console, and I'm not forgetting about the innovativeness of the control, but it is because of this power that we will be able to see the support of the big companies with their triple A games in this console.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with these feelings and I'm sure that there are many video gamers out there with this opinion.

Wii U FTW!!
(We want to be proud of our console)
great letter

Reactions: 2 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
    +1