RUMOUR: Wii U Less Powerful Than PS3/Xbox 360

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, more capable than ps3/x360 look carefully, what's more impressive is this is from a early dev kit, the dev kits have been upgrading ever since then and is more powerful according to developers.

I still don't see how it looks like such a big leap from the stuff I've played on my Xbox 360. It looks great but it's not that definitive "next gen" that people expect. It's not a N64-to-Gamecube or Xbox-to-Xbox 360. As I said before, it looks like a Gamecube-to-Wii type of transition.

I just really feel that, in terms of graphical power, the next generation is falling in place a lot like the last one. Like here's my observations about the current generation:
  • The Xbox 360 and PS3 are gigantic steps forward from the Xbox and PS2
  • The Wii is a minor step up from the last generation but not by much
  • Nintendo's handheld looks slightly more powerful than the console generation two generations ago (N64/PSX)
  • Sony's handheld looks about as good as the previous generation (PS2/Gamecube/Xbox), sometimes less and sometimes more (usually less but there are exceptions)
So far...
  • The Wii U is a minor step up from the last generation but not by much
  • Nintendo's handheld looks slightly more powerful than the console generation two generations ago (PS2/Gamecube/Xbox)
  • Sony's handheld looks about as good as the previous generation (Xbox 360/PS3), sometimes less and sometimes more (currently less because it just launched).
We're just missing one piece.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I still don't see how it looks like such a big leap from the stuff I've played on my Xbox 360. It looks great but it's not that definitive "next gen" that people expect. It's not a N64-to-Gamecube or Xbox-to-Xbox 360. As I said before, it looks like a Gamecube-to-Wii type of transition.

I just really feel that, in terms of graphical power, the next generation is falling in place a lot like the last one. Like here's my observations about the current generation:
  • Nintendo's handheld looks slightly more powerful than the console generation two generations ago (N64/PSX)
  • Sony's handheld looks about as good as the previous generation (PS2/Gamecube/Xbox), sometimes less and sometimes more (usually less but there are exceptions)
So far...
  • Nintendo's handheld looks slightly more powerful than the console generation two generations ago (PS2/Gamecube/Xbox)
  • Sony's handheld looks about as good as the previous generation (Xbox 360/PS3), sometimes less and sometimes more (currently less because it just launched).
What? I said it's more capable than X360/PS3, which it is. Where did I say it's a giant leap compared to them, it can do what those consoles do but much better as with better lightening and textures.

Shoat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Why did this even make front page?

Anonymous sources say something negative about the Wii U's power. So?
Anyone who has something negative to say about a certain thing and prefers to remain anonymous while doing so is not the slightest bit trustworthy. If they had proof they'd come forward with it, but as it stands it's just empty claims that they cannot back up.

Edit:
And now that discussion about console power has started, here's my two cents.
I can afford one console each generation.
If I have a choice between three consoles and one of them is 100-200€ cheaper than the others, I don't give a fuck how much more fancy the other two console's graphics are.
If, on top of that, that one console also is the one that has the most and best local multiplayer games (which the nintendo consoles usually do) and a line-up of games-that-I-always-play-every-gen (where the xbox fails outright because it has no games that I care about), then the odds of me choosing one of the other two consoles is next to zero.

-> The ability of a console to display super fancy graphics is the very last thing I look at when making a purchase decision. Because it plays no role in how enjoyable a game is (to me at least, obviously the majority of modern gamers think otherwise). Graphic quality could have stayed at PS2/Gamecube level for all I care.
Available games and price make or break a deal.

Reactions: 3 people

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm..

Wii - slightly more powerful than XBOX/PS2 but not by much.
3DS - slightly more powerful than PSP but not by much.
Wii U - slightly more powerful than 360/PS3 but not by much.

Anyone seeing a pattern here. Perhaps it is not all that silly. It does not seem to be hurting their sales or popularity much.

Reactions: 1 person

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What? I said it's more capable than X360/PS3, which it is. Where did I say it's a giant leap compared to them, it can do what those consoles do but much better as with better lightening and textures.

You said it "puts them to shame" which is to imply it's a lot more powerful.

Also I don't exactly find it a huge achievement to have a console slightly more powerful than 6 and 7 year old tech.

I thought we also covered that lighting tech is pretty advanced nowadays that a lot of the consoles can produce great lighting effects. The 3DS can produce excellent lighting even being the graphical underdog this generation.

I thought the textures in the demo looked as good as anything with attention to detail nowadays.

Why did this even make front page?

Anonymous sources say something negative about the Wii U's power. So?
We get that a thousand times a day on internet forums - random anonymous dudes saying something negative about a certain thing as if it was fact. Without even trying to deliver any sort of proof.

Anyone who has something negative to say about a certain thing and prefers to remain anonymous while doing so is not the slightest bit trustworthy.

Just gonna point out that I'm seeing more complaints about its "newsworthiness" in this thread already than I've seen in all the Xbox 720/PS4 rumors we've posted.

The news is front page worthy because it's interesting and it creates discussion. Things that usually create a lot of discussion or are about popular issues here get front page.

I'm just going to say to everyone to stop bitching about its front page status. It's not going away and there's no reason it should.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is classed as front page news? Two people contradicting what logic and at least 10 other sources state? I call BS

I agree, this shouldn't be on the front page. This isn't news at all, just speculation. I've updated the topic title to include rumour. I'd move the topic, but we have no Wii U forum!

Reactions: 8 people

1Player

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's funny as hell to see nintendo fanboys defend every negative rumors calling it fake, but every negative rumor about the PS4 or next XBOX seems to be fact.

Fact is, every nintendo fanboy is wrong because the Wii U is not a final product, it's still changing. No one knows what the Wii U's spec is, so saying you know for sure the Wii U is more powerful than a PS3 or XBOX 360 is just wishful thinking.

Since no one has the final spec no one knows for sure.

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
Nah, more capable than ps3/x360 look carefully, what's more impressive is this is from a early dev kit, the dev kits have been upgrading ever since then and is more powerful according to developers.

So far...
Here it is:
piece_one_1187018928_188501490.jpg

Reactions: 3 people

gDan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hmm..

Wii - slightly more powerful than XBOX/PS2 but not by much.
3DS - slightly more powerful than PSP but not by much.
Wii U - slightly more powerful than 360/PS3 but not by much.

Anyone seeing a pattern here. Perhaps it is not all that silly. It does not seem to be hurting their sales or popularity much.

I say it's perfectly fine and pretty smart. Third parties usually don't push the hardware to their limits anyways, so... And first-party games are usually wonderful without being photorealistic (in fact, the less the better, imho).

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

You said it "puts them to shame" which is to imply it's a lot more powerful.

Also I don't exactly find it a huge achievement to have a console slightly more powerful than 6 and 7 year old tech.

I thought we also covered that lighting tech is pretty advanced nowadays that a lot of the consoles can produce great lighting effects. The 3DS can produce excellent lighting even being the graphical underdog this generation.

I thought the textures in the demo looked as good as anything with attention to detail nowadays.
Putting them to shame doesn't mean generation leap, it's like comparing the xbox to ps2, Xbox was more capable in every way, better textures and everything else.

With the latest dev kits being more powerful really excites us to see how much they have improved on the hardware since E3 last year.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rumors are not news

I'm just going to say we've posted rumors as rumors on the front page before with no complaints. The difference here is that not everyone wants to hear what this one has to say.

Putting them to shame doesn't mean generation leap, it's like comparing the xbox to ps2, Xbox was more capable in every way, better textures and everything else.

With the latest dev kits being more powerful really excites us to see how much they have improved on the hardware since E3 last year.

I probably couldn't tell the difference between a PS2 version of a game and a Xbox 360 version of a game. Maybe the Xbox is "more powerful" but it's not like anyone cares or notices. Like I always thought the PS3 had a pretty nice standing over the Xbox 360. But almost no one could tell two versions of the same game on different consoles apart.

Reactions: 1 person

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol,

Mario, Metroid, Zelda, etc, etc....
It is said by anonymous sources that next gen PS4 and XBOX720 will not have these characters.
Therefore probably will not be on par with current quality of games.
This comes somewhat as a surprise, as ALL current gen innovations are being copied to the next generation.
e.g. motion controls.

ALSO TREU.

Who cares about specs? It's not a goddamn PC.
Not this goddamn
NINTY CREATED MOTION CONTROLS
thing again.
And yes Ninty has great exclusives but if you think Sony and Microsoft can't match them with their own then you sir must be very retarded.

Reactions: 2 people

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm just going to say we've posted rumors as rumors on the front page before with no complaints. The difference here is that not everyone wants to hear what this one has to say.

Agreed, look at all those rumors posted in use submitted news, or even the ones posted by some of the mods.
Definitely a hypocrite move by the Nintendo fanboys

I guess negative rumors is fine as long as it's not about Nintendo.

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Time to give my opinion.

Right, okay whatever you say. Look at the Wii it became a HUGE success I have to agree that Nintendo Gamecube -> Nintendo Wii wasn't a big step hardware-wise, but they were innovative look at all critics when the Wii was announced they were like WTF and at the moment I have a WTF moment so the same might happen to Wiiu what happened to Wii!

I am not sure if this rumor is true but the games need to be good, not on graphical innovation stuff but gameplay-wise, I am certain that I am no graphic gamer but yeah.

Oh and before I forgot to mention check how big the step from Wii to Wiiu is.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
I don't understand why people get mad when anybody say that A brand has more graphics power than B brand. Wii and DS prove to us that graphics power does not mean fun games. I can say that because I have a "weak" 3DS and a "powerful" vita, I play my 3DS much, and much more than I play my vita, so, graphics is important, but not that much.

(I hate to say this, but, look at the sales numbers).

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't understand why people get mad when anybody say that A brand has more graphics power than B brand. Wii and DS prove to us that graphics power does not mean fun games. I can say that because I have a "weak" 3DS and a "powerful" vita, I play my 3DS much, and much more than I play my vita, so, graphics is important, but not that much.

(I hate to say this, but, look at the sales numbers).
I don't understand why people put an equals sign between higher specs and graphics power. Wii and the DS prove that greatly lacking specs result in releasing games that look as if they just rolled out of a time machine and realized they're in the future, games with very limited AI and physics, not just graphics. I can say that you play your 3DS more than your Vita because the 3DS currently has more games since it was released earlier however this state of matters is subject to change in the nearby future. If specs weren't important at all, gaming would just stop evolving at the level of Atari's. ;)
[yt]yLqfY1BfLEQ[/yt]​
Prime example how lower specs can completely mess up a game.​

Gh0sti

iOS Guru
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so now we have heard it from all over the spectrum

"the wii u is very powerful system like 2x more thna ps3 and xbox 360"

to