RUMOUR: Wii U Less Powerful Than PS3/Xbox 360

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't understand why people put an equals sign between higher specs and graphics power. Wii and the DS prove that greatly lacking specs result in releasing games that look as if they just rolled out of a time machine and realized they're in the future, games with very limited AI and physics, not just graphics. I can say that you play your 3DS more than your Vita because the 3DS currently has more games since it was released earlier however this state of matters is subject to change in the nearby future. If specs weren't important at all, gaming would just stop evolving at the level of Atari's. ;)
I agree with you, but just how much can we advance with stuff like AI now a days?
Look at PC VS consoles, how much different is AI when comparing the current platforms?
It's something that requires a lot of work which is entirely up to the developers, hardware isn't a hurdle anymore since there's so much untapped potential even on the 360.

Also enemy counts only makes a difference for a small and specific genre of games, like beat em ups and the like. Anything beyond that requires too much work and money to be considered by developers.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I agree with you, but just how much can we advance with stuff like AI now a days?
Look at PC VS consoles, how much different is AI when comparing the current platforms?
It's something that requires a lot of work which is entirely up to the developers, hardware isn't a hurdle anymore since there's so much untapped potential even on the 360.

Also enemy counts only makes a difference for a small and specific genre of games, like beat em ups and the like. Anything beyond that requires too much work and money to be considered by developers.
Every single game *with enemies* that isn't an RPG-type with a fixed amount of them per encounter can benefit from enhanced calculation power, but calculation power alone doesn't make it happen. The number of enemies on-screen is also dependent on the amount of available texture cache and RAM/VRAM - unless the enemies are just copy/pastes of the same model with the same texture, numerous enemies have to be stored somewhere to be displayed on-screen. The same applies to in-game objects - the complexity of environments is directly connected to the capabilities of the console, that's why environments in Wii games are mostly static - rarely can you interact with them, and things like this build up the replay value as there's always this "one item you haven't used before" somewhere out there.

I don't see why people whine when somebody wants to give them "more" for the same price. I don't understand why people are so quick to throw around the term "graphics whore" when better specs simply open the doors for developers and give them space to create in rather then just impose better graphics. I don't understand why "Better Specs" could be considered "Worse" by anyone - the word "Better" is already there and points at a clear improvement.

I can agree to the extent that graphics are not the pinnacle of what games should offer, but better hardware doesn't only allow better graphics, and this is the point I'm trying to get across. Better hardware gives more design possibilities, and that's that.

Reactions: 1 person

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Personally I don't really care about the power, It can look a whizzy as it wants, if its no fun, its not worth playing. Look how much "pretty" crap has been released on the Xbox and PS3, proof that graphics alone do not make a game.

Personally anyone in the industry that still thinks they are of the upmost importance, are in the wrong job.

Strangely for an industry that keeps saying there needs to be a lot of grunt under the hood, they certainly keep churning out "retro" titles in all their 8/16/32 bit glory. why, because they already know what makes a good game, and they know its not just graphics.

PriMieon

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
google (google.com) '' unnamed source ''... wii u news will show up... i mean it... 2 links of the 1st site are nintendo wiiu news...
i guess that says it all

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
I can agree to the extent that graphics are not the pinnacle of what games should offer, but better hardware doesn't only allow better graphics, and this is the point I'm trying to get across. Better hardware gives more design possibilities, and that's that.
I want to add that I specifically just meant AI with my post. I know PC games have better physics engines compared to games on other platforms.

On another note I remember hearing that Nintendo was paring up with Havok for the Wii U, I wonder how that turns out.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't understand why people get mad when anybody say that A brand has more graphics power than B brand. Wii and DS prove to us that graphics power does not mean fun games. I can say that because I have a "weak" 3DS and a "powerful" vita, I play my 3DS much, and much more than I play my vita, so, graphics is important, but not that much.

(I hate to say this, but, look at the sales numbers).
I don't understand why people put an equals sign between higher specs and graphics power. Wii and the DS prove that greatly lacking specs result in releasing games that look as if they just rolled out of a time machine and realized they're in the future, games with very limited AI and physics, not just graphics. I can say that you play your 3DS more than your Vita because the 3DS currently has more games since it was released earlier however this state of matters is subject to change in the nearby future. If specs weren't important at all, gaming would just stop evolving at the level of Atari's. ;)

I agree the lackluster specs really shows on its last two years of it life cycle where it's struggling to get those sales.

Anyway...
Vita shall forever lack Pokemon, for me personally 3DS is the ultimate choice of longer use where I clock in easily 500 hours on such a game. B-)

vpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slightly higher or lower specs than current gen doesn't matter, either way we are going to see loads of lazy ports of PS3/360 games we have already had for years with probably worse online (if the game included any). Hardly a reason to rush out and buy it. That said i will eventually buy one a year or two after launch.

PriMieon

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yesterday i read on a other site that had this news:
OH THAT IS SAD ... THEN THERE IS NO WAY I AM GETTING THIS... GAMES ARE ONLY FUN IF THEY ARE IN SUPER HIGH DEFINITION...
i was laughing sooooo hard

i love those old NES,SNES graphics for games like final fantasy and MEGA MAN ... WHAT WOULD MEGA MAN BE IN GOOD GRAPHICS???...but pokemon 3d battle games or zelda, mario kart can have nice graphics

i think n64 had bad graphics but i do not need better graphics then gamecube... better or nice but i do not need them

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand why people get mad when anybody say that A brand has more graphics power than B brand. Wii and DS prove to us that graphics power does not mean fun games. I can say that because I have a "weak" 3DS and a "powerful" vita, I play my 3DS much, and much more than I play my vita, so, graphics is important, but not that much.

(I hate to say this, but, look at the sales numbers).
Gameplay trumps graphics every time. That said, Nintendo totally skipped over an entire generation of next-gen graphics primarily for cost cutting measures. After a billion Wiis have sold, you would think Nintendo would release an HD wii. It wouldn't be without precident if Nintendo did this, recalling the N64 memory expansion pak. But NO. After years of success with the Wii, Nintendo fans like me are poised to be excited for a powerful Nintendo home console, and I don't think that's too much to ask.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
oh wow. its not even powerful than this gen?
You seriously took that as a fact? :P

Have you seen the bird demo at last years E3, it puts X360 and PS3 to shame.

It's not that good. It looks pretty but so does almost any other tech demo for the time. Actual game screenshots and stuff I've seen haven't really made it look definitively better than the Xbox 360 or PS3.
Nah, more capable than ps3/x360 look carefully, what's more impressive is this is from a early dev kit, the dev kits have been upgrading ever since then and is more powerful according to developers.

[media]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=GcapRBQoMWk[/media]

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related
Well that DOES look a lot better than ANY PS3 game I own!

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Lol,

Mario, Metroid, Zelda, etc, etc....
It is said by anonymous sources that next gen PS4 and XBOX720 will not have these characters.
Therefore probably will not be on par with current quality of games.
This comes somewhat as a surprise, as ALL current gen innovations are being copied to the next generation.
e.g. motion controls.

ALSO TREU.

Who cares about specs? It's not a goddamn PC.
Not this goddamn
NINTY CREATED MOTION CONTROLS
thing again.
And yes Ninty has great exclusives but if you think Sony and Microsoft can't match them with their own then you sir must be very retarded.

Thank you for your wise words....I asume you are one one of those people who think they are exclusive themselves?
GO PLAY COD.

You my friend did'nt get my post.. AT ALL.
I was also making up some news.
Throw some facts together and speculate.
There's NO evidence to this topic wheter WiiU will have lower specs than current gen.
On the other hand, SONIC has appeared on ALL platform nowadays. He used to be exclusive to you know.....

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol,

Mario, Metroid, Zelda, etc, etc....
It is said by anonymous sources that next gen PS4 and XBOX720 will not have these characters.
Therefore probably will not be on par with current quality of games.
This comes somewhat as a surprise, as ALL current gen innovations are being copied to the next generation.
e.g. motion controls.

ALSO TREU.

Who cares about specs? It's not a goddamn PC.
Not this goddamn
NINTY CREATED MOTION CONTROLS
thing again.
And yes Ninty has great exclusives but if you think Sony and Microsoft can't match them with their own then you sir must be very retarded.

Thank you for your wise words....I asume you are one one of those people who think they are exclusive themselves?
GO PLAY COD.

You my friend did'nt get my post.. AT ALL.
I was also making up some news.
Throw some facts together and speculate.
There's NO evidence to this topic wheter WiiU will have lower specs than current gen.
On the other hand, SONIC has appeared on ALL platform nowadays. He used to be exclusive to you know.....
I don't play COD at all.
GO SPREAD YOUR NINTY IS GOD BULLSHIT ELSEWHERE.

Reactions: 2 people

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dear Nintendo:
No analog triggers. No upscaled wii/gc. Official announcement of no 3D games for 3D monitors. The dreadful notion that this might be as (OR LESS) powerful than the 360. Please stop smoking crack rocks. If you must continue to abuse crack, please make it yourself rather than waste the Nintendo coffers; crack is far more expensive than powdered cocaine, and there is less risk of a cut product.

Right, because we ALL know that having 3D automatically makes a game that much better. You don't even know what the official specs are, but judging from Nintendo's website, we can gather that it won't be weaker than the current gen. http://e3.nintendo.com/hw/#/about You're welcome

How can people assume that it's less powerful than Xbox or PS3? They think have the balls to make such a baseless claim when several other developers have stated otherwise? Funny that they should say that, and if it's "less powerful" than the current gen consoles, how in blazes will it be able to output 720/1080p, especially after Nintendo themselves said it would?

Sure seems weaker to me (*sarcasm*)

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: With uremum