Hacking Rumble Mod

drakorex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I decided to add a second rumble motor to my Pro Commander because I can. I was expecting twice the rumble, but instead each motor seems to be producing half the output. Is there any way to crank it up, or was I better with just one motor?

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
I decided to add a second rumble motor to my Pro Commander because I can. I was expecting twice the rumble, but instead each motor seems to be producing half the output. Is there any way to crank it up, or was I better with just one motor?

Depending on your MB you can feed more amps to the port you are connected to.
More power = more rumble.

Elusivo

Shinobu Molester
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I guess a simple way would be to use the battery to power the motors and use a simple transistor switch like this www.electronics-tutorials.ws/transistor/tran_4.html
Vcc would be the battery, Vin would be the + point where the motors connect in the board and Vout where you will connect the motors. (tho not an ideal solution as the battery's voltage alone decreases over time)

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did red to red and black to black. How else can I do it?

Yea, that's in parallel, so physics says you get less current. But if he connects them in series, won't that drop the voltage? So less power either way.

So you either need to figure out how the rest of the controller's power regulation system works and attempt to modify it by replacing a resister or something, or do the above mentioned transistor/battery mod.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regardless of the way you connect that extra motor, you're putting a larger load on the ctontroller which will lead to the rumble "enhancement" essentially cancelling out. Without adding an additional power source or replacing a resistor or something, this will not work the way you want it to, plain and simple.

As for things "blowing up" that's not likely because its low dc voltage, HOWEVER you still run the risk of damaging your controller and components within when altering the current and voltage in this already functioning circuit, so proceed with caution.

Most importantly thoug, have fun and post pics once you get it up and running :-)

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The one thing I don't see anyone mention you try is removing the stock motor and replace it with one that works better but uses the same power.

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're telling me all rumble motors are created the exact same way? They all have the same specs?

They all run on the same number of amps and volts? They all vibrate as soft as the Wii U Pro Controller's rumble?

D

Deleted User

I did red to red and black to black. How else can I do it?

Only one of two ways.

1. Find a way to increase the voltage and hope it doesn't cause anything to burn up on the motors.

2. Add a resistor in parallel with your two motors. Find resistance of each motor.

Find out the resistance of a single motor, solve V=IR (knowing V and R) and you'll know the current delivered to your first motor.

Req = 1 / (1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/Rn) (if you need to know the equivalency of resistors in parallel)

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're telling me all rumble motors are created the exact same way? They all have the same specs?

They all run on the same number of amps and volts? They all vibrate as soft as the Wii U Pro Controller's rumble?

No, they have different specs. Volts, amps, max rumble, speed, weight etc. But they probably all have a similar efficiency ratio, ie, the fraction of energy wasted to heat, noise, etc. In this case, the actual power used is fixed by the controller, let's call it 5W for convenience, since I don't know the real value. I'm claiming, and I could be wrong, that 5W worth of rumble would feel similar with different rumble motors. You could put in a smaller weight motor which would vibrate faster for the same 5W, but not as much strength. That would feel different, but not really stronger, right?

He wants twice the total rumble feel for the same power. To get that, you would need to double the efficiency of the motor. That's only theoretically possible if the efficiency is less then 50%, but I think it's higher then that, right? It's not an incandescent light bulb. If it is less, well, doubling efficiency is difficult. It would be expensive. Imagine taking a pickup truck that gets 12 mpg, and trying to make it get 24mpg, with the same weight, the same HP, the same tourque, etc. If we have the technology to do that, it's going to cost a lot more money, placing that truck outside the price range it was originally designed for.

Of course there are motors out there that have a higher theoretical max vibrate, possibly even in the same physical size, but they will need more power to get there, right? Unless there really is an affordable one with double the efficiency, but if the efficiency is already higher then 50%, that's impossible. Does anyone know the typical efficiency for a vibration motor? Isn't the normal efficiency of an electric motor in the 80's to 90's range? You can't double those. There just isn't enough wiggle room in the efficiency rating to cause the kind of change he wants. Granted, I don't know the equation, which could be nonlinear, between actual power used and perceived rumble effect, but I doubt you could achieve 100% increase in perceived rumble for a 0% increase in power under any conditions. Maybe by messing with the parameters you could get 10-20% increase, but not 100% as desired.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show