kevincrans

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dear Community of the GBATemp Forum,

My name is Kevin Crans and I was wondering: Could you rip Wii U games with a Blu-Ray Player like with the DVD players ripping a Wii?

I came along this Redit article explaining by a variety of users which DVD drives were fit for ripping a Wii and fortunately it seems every of those drives share the same series of chipsets: The Panasonic MN Chipset series.
This is because that drive has undocumented extra read and write instructions that other chip-sets like Mediatek don't support.
So I went searching for if there was a Blu-Ray drive that has this chip-set and I came across this Blu-Ray drive also with a Panasonic MN chip-set: The Plextor BD-R PX-B900A Bluray-Drive.
There's nothing on the internet about this drive and the Wii U together or about this drive in general.

My Question is:"Could this Blu-Ray Drive Rip Wii U Games and if not, could it rip Wii games?", I'm curious!

I hope someone can explain this to me and thank you for reading!

Edit: The drive is actually a SW-5584 and many of the Panasonic UJ series (and many not) do support it as well. Every +102 offset probably supports ripping Wii and maybe even Wii U: http://www.accuraterip.com/driveoffsets.htm . +103 probably won't do.

Sincerely,

Kevin Crans

Last edited by kevincrans,

Blasingame

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a cool premise for a hack project. I don't know much about the WIIU optical drive to give you more information.

I speculate that it's possible to do this given the drive is setup to read that matches the WiiU disc. I saw on Amazon or eBay that some people are selling spare Wii U drive parts.

It should be interesting to integrate that hardware to be read by PC's to rip directly to your HDD.

I can.imagine that there must be some kind of encryption used on the discs to extract them to your drive.

Very cool idea!

Reactions: kevincrans

kevincrans

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is a cool premise for a hack project. I don't know much about the WIIU optical drive to give you more information.

I speculate that it's possible to do this given the drive is setup to read that matches the WiiU disc. I saw on Amazon or eBay that some people are selling spare Wii U drive parts.

It should be interesting to integrate that hardware to be read by PC's to rip directly to your HDD.

I can.imagine that there must be some kind of encryption used on the discs to extract them to your drive.

Very cool idea!
Dear Blasingame,

Thank you for your reply!
I also think that's interesting.

Of course no dev is familiar with this, but I mean at least ripping them like in Dolphin.

So if someone already bought this drive and tried that please post the result in the comment section.
I think no-one has done this before though, so maybe I should be the first to try this?(These drives are pretty expensive)

But for now, Thank you for showing interest for the ripping of Wii U discs with a Disc Drive and I hope to hear from you later.

Sincerely,

Kevin Crans

kevincrans

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...