• Replies 527
  • Likes 35

SirNiko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally like the idea of dubbing the voices to English. Marcher would be a given, and Toss Boys would be optional (English names would be much easier to differentiate). Bon Odori probably can just get translated lyrics in text but leave the audio as is. The rest of the lyrical songs don't influence play, and I don't see a point in adjusting the unintelligible grunts and squeaks.

If we found a person capable of doing the dubbing who wants to do the dubbing, I'd be all for it. But W hat is project lead, so I defer to his judgment on this point.

Probably the short term focus is getting a bunch of text-related stuff patched up to get some regular updates going on in this thread. I'm hard at work finding and organizing the text for the next few games and toys so W hat can just translate them in one fell swoop without hunting all over the script to test stuff.

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, Internet! Want to help me? I'd like two save states related to perfect campaigns.

One state with a campaign for Karate Man not yet started (it can be another game but Karate Man is easy to get a perfect on), but ready to be started.
A state saved at the end of a successful campaign (after the game is done -- during the comments or right before).

SirNiko, I don't want you to work on this unless you already have states for the situations.

eyeball226

Trophies
XP
Country
I totally understand. I am in fact one of those who generally prefers the original voice acting to a dub on principle. I just remember it taking me a long time to get Marcher because I found the instructions difficult to understand/differentiate.

If you ever happen across a way of extracting the sound, I'd love to have a go anyway just for personal amusement even if you have no intention of using it. Trying to match the timing, tone, frequency response and the dynamics would be an interesting exercise for me.

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Todo (for me):
  • Fix the studio spacing (eventually)
  • Update the website
  • Make a trailer for demo 1
Done:
  • Change "high" and "average" to "superb" and OK"
  • Translate the first two drum lessons
    • Get Drum Lessons save states from Niko / others
  • Make perfect campaigns work
  • Translate the first toy (Cat Machine) - It doesn't have any text! :P
  • Translate the other 2 emails that you can unlock from the first 6 games
  • Fix the "data clear" and sound dialogue
    • muJ6A.png
  • Reformat perfect campaigns to allow more space in gift titles
  • Change quotes to smart quotes
  • Remove the Cafe text so it's mostly in Japanese rather than Engrish
  • Fixed perfect campaign starting dialogue
  • Translate the first endless game (Mr. Upbeat)
  • Write a piece of text explaining that the Cafe isn't translated yet
    • Test it (Go to the Cafe when it opens after Remix 1)
  • Translate the songs in the studio (from the main menu) that you can unlock from the first 6 games
    • A dialogue pops up in the studio if you select play from an unchecked song. Find and translate this.
  • 2 emails.
    • t3cxF.png
Known issues with the game (not the patch):
  • When a perfect campaign starts, the ticking of the flow score doesn't stop until you press A.
  • Not all songs are unlockable.

SirNiko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heya amigo,

I sent you the save states I already have. They're in the Drop Box.

Load the last state from "Saves 2" to get a state with only 6 games unlocked (You'll witness the cafe unlocking).

The folder marked "Perfect" is where I am going to store perfect games. If you load it up, you'll get the end of Karate Man right before you're awarded a perfect. I don't have any more perfects because I haven't been trying.

I don't have a save right before the Karate Man campaign appears, but if you load the last file in Saves 3 (Stealth Rat) you'll have a bunch of medals but very few perfects so you can just dink around for a while until a perfect campaign pops up. I recall the Clappy Trio campaign popping up when I was making states for Samurai Quick Draw.

I had all this done a week ago and just didn't upload it!

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow. The original versions of the songs in this game are radically different from their compressed version. But to be fair, the entire Tengoku game is ~12 MB and that's not anywhere close to a ~300MB CD.

tqOrW.png

Quotes are fixed.

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.mediafire...qrerer8xrzikjvs
Beta 1b is here. We believe this is 100% bug-free for games 1-6. If this is the case, this *is* Demo 1. If not, we'll continue fixing bugs and releasing new betas.

Completed:
  • Games 1-6
  • Introduction
  • Gifts for Perfect Campaigns
  • 4 E-mails
  • All bonus games and endless games obtainable by playing the first 6 games (6 medals)
  • Two drum lessons
  • Anything you would see while playing the first 6 games. (except for the cafe)
Not completed:
  • Games after #6
  • The Cafe
  • Bonus games after 6 medals
  • Gifts obtained from Perfect Campaigns after #6
  • Images that have Japanese text
Enjoy!

http://www.mediafire...qrerer8xrzikjvs

Next release: Sneaky Spirits, this Friday.

SirNiko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bonus points are awarded if anyone can earn an S rank on one of the Drum Lessons and post a picture of the score screen! I've only been able to get an "A" Rank so far.

I recommend Lesson 2. It's much easier than Lesson 1!

eyeball226

Trophies
XP
Country
Wow. The original versions of the songs in this game are radically different from their compressed version. But to be fair, the entire Tengoku game is ~12 MB and that's not anywhere close to a ~300MB CD.

Well the versions in the game aren't compressed versions of what's on the CD, they're a small-ish number of instrument samples being played back at different rates in software (like tracker music) rather than a compressed audio stream.

SirNiko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got things arranged and ready for the next few games to be translated!

Did you notice that completing perfect campaigns sometimes awards you new drum sets to use in the sound test? It's a pretty neat feature that isn't evident when the game is all in Japanese!

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Though a few weeks in the future, we're working on the technical details of "The Bon Odori." SirNiko and I can't decide between Romaji and localized English for the on-screen lyrics. Romaji would be extremely similar to the vocals of the song - players can sing-along by reading the lyrics. But they won't know what they mean - phrases like "Hora! Matsuri da wasshoi!" have no meaning here. English would translate that, but mean singing-along would be crippled. (Though you can just sing the new lyrics over the girl in the song.)

Romaji / English (These are rough translations form my predecessor - the English side isn't necessarily what the lyrics would be.)

Meido in Japan / Made in Japan
Ame ga agareba / When the rain stops
Nippon juu ga wasshoi! / All of Japan says wasshoi!

What do you guys think? We will probably provide options for both, but one will be the dominant version for most of the development. (Giving two patches out every week just to keep both versions of this game is silly.)

Spoiler - the two sentences that appear when you get every perfect. http://i.imgur.com/7Oz6M.png

SirNiko is really far ahead with the save states.

SirNiko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to dig into Drum Lessons soon. The idea is to get all the back stuff done sooner than later so when the games are completed you can enjoy all the unlockables immediately.

I hope to have most of the drum lessons translated by this time next next week!

Edit: We made a lot of progress this weekend! Next update should be a lot of fun!!

p8t0O.png

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I'm glad to see someone else is finally giving this game the attention it deserves.

I must admit back when I started my translation project (it was actually 2007 I think) I didn't really know what I was getting into. I lacked knowledge/experience on some aspects of ROM hacking (mainly assembly-related stuff), but was prepared to give it a go regardless. Obviously it ended up being a bit over-ambitious for me at the time (seems a lot of projects are like this) - I think I was just starting a new job back then, so all my free time disappeared and my interest in the project gradually declined and died. I hope at least some of my script work was helpful regardless.

So yeah I wish you guys all the best and can't wait to see a finished patch eventually.

Reactions: 1 person

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

xP0lz.gif

Beta 2b is here!

http://www.mediafire...7i0i932d1tkavaa

New games this week:
  • Samurai Slice
  • Cheese Heist
Completed:
  • Games 1-8 (for the rest of this list, let x=8)
  • Introduction
  • Gifts for Perfect Campaigns
  • 4 E-mails
  • All bonus games and endless games obtainable by playing the first x games (x medals)
  • Three drum lessons
  • Anything you would see while playing the first x games. (except for the Cafe)
Not completed:
  • Games after #x
  • The Cafe
  • Bonus games after x medals
  • Gifts obtained from Perfect Campaigns after #x
  • Images that have Japanese text
Enjoy!

Next release: Dr. Bacteria - 9/21

http://www.mediafire...7i0i932d1tkavaa

---

Great to hear from you, Dirite. It appears I made a typo somewhere -- 2007 is the correct date. (The date is corrected in the newest beta.)

Other great news: Someone has recovered Y.S.'s ROM hacks. I'll make some patches that integrate them soon.

http://www.romhackin....msg219665.html

---

This is one of Y.S.'s hacks. It is not intended for normal, day-to-day play. I will not provide support for this hack. You can apply it to an unmodified Tengoku ROM. It probably works alongside the English translation as well.

All Games Have Perfect Campaigns (常にパーフェクトキャンペーンのハートが出る)
  • Any time you start a game (and after any tutorials), the perfect heart will appear in the corner.
  • Gameplay will be the same as if it were a real perfect campaign. If you mess up, the heart goes away, just like normal.
  • Pressing start and quitting, ending the game early (Night Walk), getting a perfect on a game you already have a perfect on, or finishing the game without a perfect sends you straight back to the Health and Safety screen. The comments screen is not displayed.
  • We have not tested what happens when you get a perfect on a game you didn't have a perfect on originally. If you find out, let us know.

SirNiko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh neat!

The dragon and llama graphics for the tap dancing games never appear normally in the game, as far as I am aware! That's a cool find! I had hoped maybe it was a tool for editing in new graphics, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

There are even animations for jumping and tapping three times in a row for the biker version of tap from Remix 5.

tap_dragon.jpg

SirNiko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It took all week, but I've finished beating all the drum lessons and putting in basic translations. They're not polished quality, but they are good enough that you can play them and finally understand what's being said without an engrish tinge! I hope you folks won't ignore them, since the drum lessons are actually a pretty substantial part of the game. And they're really fun, too!

I'm hoping after we clear Remix 2, the pace of the updates will pick up a bit. Column 2 had a lot of tricky levels to edit, especially Bon Odori and e-mail that accompanies a perfect score on Dr. Bacteria. The big hurdles left are the cafe and the drum lessons, since those are a lot of text that requires a lot of testing and tweaking.

And, of course, figuring out graphical editing.

Blazer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, Rhythm Heaven

Played the DS and Wii versions and they were good. Well, no, great, I pretty much got addicted at some point >_>' I have a feeling this GBA version will be much more merciless though.

Anyhow, do you need some help with this translation at all? I'm not that great but I have some hacking skills, proofreading skills, and other miscellaneous skills, any of which might be useful. Hit me up at [email protected] if I might be able to help. I don't have time to give a proper skill set, but I am a webmaster and used to work on the Fire Emblem 12 Translation Project and also made a complete hackof Fire Emblem so I have some skills in organizing, translating, and hacking, for GBA and DS projects. I'm pretty low on time now (which is why I quit the FE12 translation project--that game is extremely text-heavy which is why the proofing became too much for me: about 100 hours of proofing, and I didn't have that time) but maybe I could at least make it easier for you to hack the graphics or text or something, or help organize the project. I dunno, just let me know if there's anything I might be able to do to benefit you. Again, e-mail is the best way to contact me, as I check it extremely regularly, whereas I rarely browse GBATemp - [email protected] works. Thanks and best of luck!

erp, I tried it out myself and I read up on it amongst other stuff and man, there's good reason you didn't really crack what's behind the graphics, huh? I know some people who could probably help out if they had the time or motivation, but actually getting those two things is pretty hard. >_> I'm totally unfamiliar with the system for how it's even loading some of the palettes, nevermind the graphics (it looks like it's using arrays of codes or something... I only briefly looked at it but without a lot of research in debuggers and disassemblers, ugh...).

Still, I wish you the best of luck, and you're doing everything voluntarily, so people shouldn't really feel entitled to complain if you can't get all the graphics translated. >_>' (At the very least, I won't get complain, as I know just how difficult some of this stuff can be.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/owEOnspRpVk?si=rEd1m4Yi0aTKvjiv