Spray110

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hi all!

I have a PAL PSOne SCPH-102 with motherboard PM - 41 A.

I've installed the modchip with the following diagram with one exception, the 8th wire goes to the side of the power outlet instead, the right side:

https://imgur.com/a/Q5RIwR0
Q5RIwR0

Now, the mod is working great, but I have a new crt now, a Philips, that just doesn't want to project a true RGB image with this particular console. I've tried with an original ps1-model that looks great, but what happens with this one is the startup is in black and white, that is the Sony and PS-logos. Then in-game it's in colour, but it looks like it's displaying a standard composite signal. I really can't understand where the problem lies. Is this TV just a dud? It can obviously handle RGB just fine, it's just this very console that doesn't work correct. I tested it out with an NTSC game, and everything was in black and white, so my guess is that the TV isn't displaying in RGB for some reason, that the reason it's black & white during booting is because after modding the system, the menu is in NTSC, am I right on this?

Any ideas? Maybe I could change something with the mod?

Thanks!

*UPDATE*
I tried de-soldering the modchip, and now it's in colour, but still not RGB, it looks like a composite image still.

Last edited by Spray110,

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

I have a PAL PSOne SCPH-102 with motherboard PM - 41 A.

I've installed the modchip with the following diagram with one exception, the 8th wire goes to the side of the power outlet instead, the right side:

https://imgur.com/a/Q5RIwR0
Q5RIwR0

Now, the mod is working great, but I have a new crt now, a Philips, that just doesn't want to project a true RGB image with this particular console. I've tried with an original ps1-model that looks great, but what happens with this one is the startup is in black and white, that is the Sony and PS-logos. Then in-game it's in colour, but it looks like it's displaying a standard composite signal. I really can't understand where the problem lies. Is this TV just a dud? It can obviously handle RGB just fine, it's just this very console that doesn't work correct. I tested it out with an NTSC game, and everything was in black and white, so my guess is that the TV isn't displaying in RGB for some reason, that the reason it's black & white during booting is because after modding the system, the menu is in NTSC, am I right on this?

Any ideas? Maybe I could change something with the mod?

Thanks!

*UPDATE*
I tried de-soldering the modchip, and now it's in colour, but still not RGB, it looks like a composite image still.

Black and white on start up is the bios fix. The small psone has an additional region check on PAL consoles, forcing the startup (sony and playstation) into NTSC bypasses it, and will be black and white unless you use RGB, so that's normal.

No idea why the console isn't outputting rgb though, pinout and cable is the same between the old sytle and the psone.

Last edited by Armadillo,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4U-CrK4Hug