Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hello,
I tried this Yabause, but I can't play with the buttons of the Wii U GamePad, is that normal ? Do I do something wrong ?
cant you read? he clearly said he made the forwarder gamepad compatible to when someone would actually added gamepad support, but no one ever did, the forwarder can be started with the wiugamepad but the emulator has no code to read it implemented, it was just a future proof forwarder.

Reactions: ploggy

Jilou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
tu ne sais pas lire ? il a clairement dit qu'il avait rendu la manette de jeu du redirecteur compatible avec le moment où quelqu'un ajouterait réellement le support de la manette de jeu, mais personne ne l'a jamais fait, le transitaire peut être démarré avec la wiugamepad mais l'émulateur n'a pas de code pour le lire implémenté, c'était juste un transitaire à l'épreuve du temps .
Sorry, English isn't my native language so I can misunderstand something...

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
I just got my Wii U on storage again and i want to play some GBA games on it, but i want to transfer the save to PC from the console and vice versa, so GBA emulator it is. What GBA core has the best performance?

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
I just got my Wii U on storage again and i want to play some GBA games on it, but i want to transfer the save to PC from the console and vice versa, so GBA emulator it is. What GBA core has the best performance?
Technically VisualBoyAdvance, but mGBA has far more accurate emulation and the Wii U is capable of running it at full speed anyway, so it is better to use mGBA.

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
Technically VisualBoyAdvance, but mGBA has far more accurate emulation and the Wii U is capable of running it at full speed anyway, so it is better to use mGBA.
So, mGBA has no performance issues on the Wii U? Great! That will make it easier. I'm not a fan ov VBA.

On the note of performance, i took the time to run a couple of games - Gran Turismo 2 Simulation mode and Symphony of the Night - on PCSX ReARMed. I used bin+cue files, and they ran choppy for the first two minutes or so before finally picking up and running full speed. I used the Tiramisu build, default settings.

Guess the file format had something to do with the initial slowdown?

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
New Unai PS1 Core update :) Lot of misc game fixes, If a game didn't work properly before try it now I guess :P
Also fixes an annoying bug where the screen would flicker if Dithering was selected :)
I need to download more isos to test, but this is great!

It was very good news when i saw Gran Turismo 2 running full speed. This is great!

By the way, does the 3DO Core works?

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
is this the same one would get through the online updater?

No, the online updater has the Peops graphics plugin. Unai is a different graphics plugin which has better performance than Peops (maybe ~5-10% faster) and an option, important for us on Wii U, to downscale high-res (480i) PSX games to 240p. Because the Wii U currently struggles with those 480i games, enabling that setting allows them to run more smoothly.

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
No, the online updater has the Peops graphics plugin. Unai is a different graphics plugin which has better performance than Peops (maybe ~5-10% faster) and an option, important for us on Wii U, to downscale high-res (480i) PSX games to 240p. Because the Wii U currently struggles with those 480i games, enabling that setting allows them to run more smoothly.
Ok. Downloading RIGHT NOW.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Exactly as Vague Rant said :) Unai is faster than Peops but isn't on the buildbot, so I'll periodically compile a new build with Unai myself when there's a good update and post it here ;)
@Osakasan No, the 3DO Core still isnt working sorry. Someone with better skills than I would have to look into that Core :P but its probably endian related like all other things WiiU Retroarch lol

@Vague Rant do you know of anyone who could maybe look into the Retroarch BGR555 to RGB565 frame conversion issue? its probably the cause of the perf drain on the PS1 Core.
Post automatically merged:

Added the Latest Unai Core to my sig to make it easier to find in the future ;)

Last edited by ploggy,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Exactly as Vague Rant said :) Unai is faster than Peops but isn't on the buildbot, so I'll periodically compile a new build with Unai myself when there's a good update and post it here ;)
@Osakasan No, the 3DO Core still isnt working sorry. Someone with better skills than I would have to look into that Core :P but its probably endian related like all other things WiiU Retroarch lol

@Vague Rant do you know of anyone who could maybe look into the Retroarch BGR555 to RGB565 frame conversion issue? its probably the cause of the perf drain on the PS1 Core.

Added the Latest Unai Core to my sig to make it easier to find in the future ;)
even if people figured out 3d0 endian issue the games would just run single frames, without a dynarec that core wont be playing anything on a wiiu lol and afaik there is no dynarecs for 3d0 cores...

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
even if people figured out 3d0 endian issue the games would just run single frames, without a dynarec that core wont be playing anything on a wiiu lol and afaik there is no dynarecs for 3d0 cores...
Of course, I was talking about getting the Core to run at all, right now I can get the core to compile but anything I try to load will just blackscreen.. That is probably an endian issue. For it to be usable It would need a dynarec and probably OpenGL too.

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
Btw @ploggy i wanted to ask. What's the recommended file format for the ReARMed core? i'm using bin+cue at the moment, but getting low framerate in the first minute or so, i guess due to slow loading? Because it runs fine after that.

EDIT: About the 3DO core, no biggie, i was just feeling like playing the original NFS without booting up my PC. I was curious to know if it would actually run.

And yeah, i forgot about the need of a dynarec lol.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Btw @ploggy i wanted to ask. What's the recommended file format for the ReARMed core? i'm using bin+cue at the moment, but getting low framerate in the first minute or so, i guess due to slow loading? Because it runs fine after that.

EDIT: About the 3DO core, no biggie, i was just feeling like playing the original NFS without booting up my PC. I was curious to know if it would actually run.

And yeah, i forgot about the need of a dynarec lol.
There is no recommended format really, if a format works for you use it :) Though personally I use CHD since its smaller and single file so no need to mess with cues files.
The speed issues you see at the beginning of games is due to Lightrec's caching, it does this on all PS1 emulators that use Lightrec.

Reactions: depaul

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
New Unai PS1 Core update :) Lot of misc game fixes, If a game didn't work properly before try it now I guess :P
Also fixes an annoying bug where the screen would flicker if Dithering was selected :)
Wahoo Tekken 3 and Ridge Racer Hi-Spec now seems to play near full speed with the downscale high-res option selected. Happy days :D

• Love
Reactions: depaul and ploggy

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Btw, I don't see any difference using the 240p downscale plugin from what I recall. PS1 was very far from maxing out that 480i resolution lol

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No this is the Peops Core, I'll whip up a Unai build later ;)

Ok another BIG update!!
For those following along the Unai build was recently released and boasted a big improvement to performance but had an issue where the graphics were garbled if the Hires Scale option was enabled, that issue has now been fixed!!
This means the especially slow 3D Fighting games now run at a much more acceptable speed when the Hires Scale option is enabled.

There is a downside of enabling this option which is it Downscales the Res so it runs at a better FPS.. Its a good patch fix for the Speed issue we experience with the Core for now until the underlining issue is fixed... speaking of.. We now KNOW why the WiiU Core is slow where other standalone Wii PS1 Emulators seem to run great, it turns out its to do with Frame BGR555 to RGB565 conversion (?I have no clue?) lol all I know is it causes the WiiU Core to run very slowly, once that issue is ironed out the Core should run as its expected to, without the need for any Dithering/Vsync and Hires Scales options :D

Here's the latest Unai Core, remember to enable Hires Scales in the Video GPU options for the slow games and to expect the game to look alittle lower res because of it.

@NestorM

Hello I just tested pcsx_rearmed with .chd they ran pretty nice speed. I guess pcsx_rearmed_unai didnt show up core selectiion so im wondering if .chd is not compatibilty with unai??

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country

I think the biggest GX2 experts we have are either Gary or AboodXD, but I'm not sure if either of them are particularly interested in contributing to RetroArch, they've always got a lot of their own projects in the works.

Hello I just tested pcsx_rearmed with .chd they ran pretty nice speed. I guess pcsx_rearmed_unai didnt show up core selectiion so im wondering if .chd is not compatibilty with unai??

Core selection is based on RetroArch .info files, which are just little text files listing what type of ROMs each core can handle and stuff like that. Since the Unai build isn't an official part of RetroArch (yet), there's no .info file for that build. Personally, I just copied the one for the Peops build and edited it slightly. I've attached mine to this post if you just want something you can download and drop on the SD card (after extracting the ZIP).

Whether you're doing it yourself or just extracting mine, copy that file pcsx_rearmed_unai_libretro.info into the RetroArch core info directory. If you haven't messed with the directory settings at all, that will be in SD://retroarch/cores/info.

Attachments

• pcsx_rearmed_unai_libretro.zip
    1 KB · Views: 12

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW7LwaU1xMw