Homebrew RetroArch Wii - PSX Support?

Kurt91

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forgive me if I'm asking a stupid question, but I've been looking and haven't been able to figure this out for myself.

I've been having some trouble with certain features of WiiSX. It works well enough to play the games with some concessions like relying on save states instead of in-game saving, but it's still a bit annoying. After some issues that came up that caused me to have to re-download the program, I thought it would be a good time to look and see if there were any alternatives.

Looking at RetroArch, I found that it seems to play PlayStation 1 games. However, since it isn't listed on the emulator guide, I wasn't sure if that was because the guide is out of date, or if it simply doesn't work on the Wii version of the program. I looked a bit more, and found a list of "cores" that come packaged with the Wii version. There isn't a PlayStation core on the list, but I'm not sure it it's because it doesn't work or if it's just not included with the emulator itself.

WiiSX doesn't seem to be worked on for a very long time, so it would be nice to have an emulator with actual support and progress made on it. (At the very least, something that I don't have to work around bugs on a regular basis.) Is RetroArch what I'm looking for, or am I stuck with what I've been using?

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
If i'm not mistaken, one of the "temporal compilations" that was released a few weeks ago had a PS1 core, it was called Mednafen_psx_libretro_wii.dol . It is an unofficial compilation, mind you (which means it wasn't polished) but as far as I read about that core it worked (Although of course, slowly. It's a Work in progress core, so it's normal and expected). They didn't include the core in 1.0.0.2 for obvious reasons, so you could wait for it to being released in a future version or just look for the compilation and try that core.

The PDF manual is very very old if it's the one i'm thinking.

starwarsfan541

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If i'm not mistaken, one of the "temporal compilations" that was released a few weeks ago had a PS1 core, it was called Mednafen_psx_libretro_wii.dol . It is an unofficial compilation, mind you (which means it wasn't polished) but as far as I read about that core it worked (Although of course, slowly. It's a Work in progress core, so it's normal and expected). They didn't include the core in 1.0.0.2 for obvious reasons, so you could wait for it to being released in a future version or just look for the compilation and try that core.

Do you have any links to the temporal compilations

I really want to try it and some of the other experimental cores

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Is it technically possible to ever get a PS1 core running smoothly on the Wii?

Reactions: Natural

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Is it technically possible to ever get a PS1 core running smoothly on the Wii?

Well, I remember playing some PS1 games on the Wii, like Symphony of the Night, the FF1 Remake both working pretty well, and Pac-Man World was a little slow but it did work with WiiSX, and that one is old, maybe this one becomes much better as they work on it. I don't know about games that have "heavier" visuals, though... This is Wii, it's not a powerhouse...

Though, GBA emulation was pretty "meh" until Retroarch brought the improved core to the Wii and they did a pretty good work (Alongside the new VBAGX Fork), and even the last version of Not64 seems to have gotten much better for a lot of games, to the point of DK64 being near perfect as people said in that thread.

It takes some time to get good results; I guess.

catuligbat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
If anyone have dump error at begins Mednafen_psx_libretro_wii.dol, must be secure have in retroarch system folder (where stay bios files) have scph5500.bin, scph5501.bin (this bios not appears but scph7003.bin works only rename as scph5501.bin) and scph5502.bin and emulator runs (very slowly but runs)

:yaywii:

Reactions: rogerioronin

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-