Hacking Emulation RetroArch/Libretro Thread: PS Vita Edition! Nightlies Included

Durelle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why dont you try to reinstall retroarch. Delete everything and install new one fresh, maybe that will do...
I know, Kai is best gba emulator on PSP, i used to play it when i had PSP 2004, and i was happy, but for example castlevania did not ran full speed, but i beat that game wishing it ran faster (to 60fps) also i couldnt play metroid fusion properly and many other games, but they ran decent on kai. better than any other gba emulator for psp.
Than i used retroarch vba next when i bought vita and it was like a dream!

Seriously, try to reinstall retroarch to newer stable build 1.7.4
https://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/1.7.4/playstation/vita/
I've tried 1.7.4 and still the same issue,
and I beat Metroid fusion on the kai emulator I found it ran just fine :/

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
I've tried 1.7.4 and still the same issue,
and I beat Metroid fusion on the kai emulator I found it ran just fine :/
What do you mean by "just fine"? does that mean you personally are not complaining or the fps is 60fps stable all the time with no slowdowns at all?

Also that is very strange that retroarch on vita runs worst than PSP one...i dont know what to say...that is strange.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
It ran at 60fps ok the kai build I used. I'm currently reinstalling 1.7.4 to see if it will fix it as I noticed I'm on a older nightly.
Hmm..maybe kai got better now, i played on it few years ago...
Why dont you use Stable instead of nightly?

Last edited by Metoroid0,

Durelle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Metoroid0 Im seeing some improvement, but some games still have sound stuttering. Like mario kart for example. but maybe this is just a weird case. Ill have to see how Mother3 runs as it needs smooth fps and good sound.

-edit--
Tried
Mario Kart
Mario world
Mother3
Megaman

All had sound stutter in retroarch it's subtle but enough to bother me...

And in gbsp kai they all ran at 60fps with no stutter...

Last edited by Durelle,

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
@Metoroid0 Im seeing some improvement, but some games still have sound stuttering. Like mario kart for example. but maybe this is just a weird case. Ill have to see how Mother3 runs as it needs smooth fps and good sound.

-edit--
Tried
Mario Kart
Mario world
Mother3
Megaman

All had sound stutter in retroarch it's subtle but enough to bother me...

And in gbsp kai they all ran at 60fps with no stutter...
I never tried those, but all other i tried they rug good. I also have shutters in some games but its only at some segments not in whole game. and tot all games have this. Its weird that gba emulator for psp runs better and 60fps..i need to try that..its strange to hear such thing!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Im trying uo gsp kai now form the link you sent me...

Reactions: Durelle

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
Ok so...first game is metroid fusion (ill edit this post after each test. So i just installed emulator, did not tweaked any settings, i just removed filter that was on by default.)
First of all retroarch is far beter in emulating (the pic looks better) and options to tweak settings overall. Scaling and pixels are a bit messy on gbSP kai unlike on retroarch core. Also emulator can run only on 333Mhz, where vitas retroarcs emulators can (at least i presume since they use full vita cpu pover) 444mhz (not sure about that but i think they are).

It does run...fine, but not better in my case, which is strange considering all Vita consoles are the same.
The game has non stop sound cracking in kai, i tried everything to minimize it but it was present.

Oh my! On intro where its saying "The X parasites where immediately and completely destroyed" the frame rate drops dramatically to maybe 15 fps (note that i turn off frame skipping), but on automatic frame skipping and on frame skipping and frame value 9 the game runs normally but it skips frames. Sound cracking still happens sometimes.

Now onto the gameplay...
In elevator to data room where you can read smus monologue fps drops to 33 on automatic, 7fps on manual 9 frames skipping, and on frame skipp off it goes to 60, naturally but it laggs and sound is cracking non stop. all options above are the same with frameskip variation set to uniform or random.

So i defeated arachnus but i wonder what fps will be in ventilation rooms with all those overlays. when i get to that part i will edit this post.
Metroid run nice, but i wouldnt say its better than retroarch. retroarch runs almost natively gba games, with few exceptions. no matter what happens on screen its always 60 fps, i never saw any mayor decrease. also it needs vertical syncronisation cause screen it tears sometimes. sound cracks are almost non existant but still present.

In room where ridley is frozen, screen tearing can be seen as screen pans from left to right and in other direction also. Also frames drop to 52fps. Also sound is cracking.
My guess is because there are snowflakes sprites as aditional layer so emulator struggles. V-synch would fih this at cost of performance issues, but on retroarch i have v-synching ON for all cores and games and it never drops a frame when there is a lot happening on screen.

Im wearing headphones now. The sound is cracking all of the time but it stops when there are not much happening on the screen, but it can crack from time to time. But the most prominent cracks happen when frames drop.

Now im heading to fix atmospheric stabilizers, ant that is one of the most demanding section in graphical sense, a lot of effects happen there.
It definatly has frames drop to 56 and screen tearing due to lack of V-Sync. Also sund is cracking.

-Now im trying castlevania aria of sorrow that i finished on kai, bu i always had fps issues, i will see if its the same, but again, retroarch emulates gba games far better. I still fail to see how it the opposite in your case.

except from advance wars on title screen i never heard cracking on retroarch.

I will test it more, but bottom line, i would only use kai for psp if i MUST, that is if some particular game has issues with retroarch gba emulation and kai doesnt. Its a nice option but i wouldnt call it better.

Im still puzzled how can your gba retroarch emulator run poorly, or worst than kai... its a mistery for me to be fair... maybe its a specific rom bump, idk or a game, but other than that nothing crosses my mind... i mean all ps vita's are the same, right??

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Updated my Code Listings
CPS3 seems to have been improved since the last time I ran it. Was a long time.
However, the MK3s, including the UMK3s will not run. Fighter's History Games will crash the App.
Not sure what it was, but I went to load another Core, and I got a GPU Crash.

https://github.com/Smoker1/RetroArch-174-and-above-Cheats/tree/master

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Updated my Code Listings
CPS3 seems to have been improved since the last time I ran it. Was a long time.
However, the MK3s, including the UMK3s will not run. Fighter's History Games will crash the App.
Not sure what it was, but I went to load another Core, and I got a GPU Crash.

https://github.com/Smoker1/RetroArch-174-and-above-Cheats/tree/master
This might not be the answer you are looking for, but for now your best bet is to play the sega genesis or super nintendo versions of mk3/umk3 and the snes version of fighters history. There is even a snes exclusive version of fighters history called "Fighters History Mizoguchi Kiki Ippatsu!!".

Reactions: Smoker1

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This might not be the answer you are looking for, but for now your best bet is to play the sega genesis or super nintendo versions of mk3/umk3 and the snes version of fighters history. There is even a snes exclusive version of fighters history called "Fighters History Mizoguchi Kiki Ippatsu!!".
Yeah, that is what I am sticking with until it gets figured out. Am I correct in thinking the FBA Cores will run Arcade Titles ONLY? No MegaDrive? I tried running a few MegaDrive items in the FBA (Newest) Core, but it came up saying it could not run them.
For my next trick, I will try to figure out if I can create Cheats from ANY FBA2012 Core.

Edit: Well....that was quick. FBA2012 Cores are NOT able to Search for Cheats, or even allow for Cheats to be Loaded up from the current Build of FBA. So dont bother.

Last edited by Smoker1,

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, that is what I am sticking with until it gets figured out. Am I correct in thinking the FBA Cores will run Arcade Titles ONLY? No MegaDrive? I tried running a few MegaDrive items in the FBA (Newest) Core, but it came up saying it could not run them.
For my next trick, I will try to figure out if I can create Cheats from ANY FBA2012 Core.

Edit: Well....that was quick. FBA2012 Cores are NOT able to Search for Cheats, or even allow for Cheats to be Loaded up from the current Build of FBA. So dont bother.
From what i know of FBA does play megadrive games but it is very picky when it comes to that. i personally never got them working through FBA.

Lordjontan

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
@Metoroid0 Gba cores on retroarch run poorly for me and a lot of people. For example, Metroid Zero runs very bad on retroarch and almost perfect on gbsp kai and tempgba. In spanish forums almost every body recomends kai or tempgba over Retroarch cores

Last edited by Lordjontan,

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
@smoker @Lordjontan VBAnext is really great! Thats really strange, cause it runs great for me with no issues, and leas not 98% of the time, and thos issues are not really issues... are you sure you set up your emulator correctly?

The core i use is: "VBA Next v1.0.2 110ab08"

EDIT: actually youre right, ZM doesnt run that great, maybe its this new core, i dont remember these issues, i beat ZM before without issues...
But fusion on other hand runs great.

EDIT 2: WOW! ZM runs like shit on gbSP. VBA next runs good, but there is cracking. ill try my old cores...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

ZM runs like shit ok kai also...

EDIT: it seems like ZM runs like shit everywhere except PC. i made a mistake, i beat ZM on GBA SP, not emuilated haha
But fusion runs great on vba next in retroarch unlike kai. I tried every possible settings to run ZM good on kai but it runs not so great, so i dont know what you guys have but its not the same vita sa mine xD

Reactions: Zukov

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
I feel dissapointed now for Zero Mission. Only PC seems to run perfectly.... i hoperetroarch will ge better... :(
I must say i run ZM on retroarch VBA next vithout issues only with sound crack, but not bad ones. im trying to see if i can reduce the cracks somehow... its still way better in retroarch than on kai..i really dont get why you guys say its better in kai... On gbSP in RA i can understand, it runs like shit! but VBA next is excelent.

I just remembered! I had frame rate and slowdowns, cracking issues because i did not exclute vsh menu from retroarch! "!*RETROVITA"
Once i excluded the emulator run great. I now replicated that and it indeed causes slowdown!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: agreed