Hacking Emulation RetroArch/Libretro Thread: PS Vita Edition! Nightlies Included

xoleras20099

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's annoying because we'd like to set different video modes for different cores. Depending on their native resolution, you might want to enable or disable integer scaling, change the aspect ratio etc.

Go to Settings > Video and change the aspect ratio from 4:3 or 16:9 or whatever you have it set to, to "Per Core" or something (it's the last option) , it picks the correct aspect ratio depending on the system (MAME is the only exception as different arcade machines have different screen sizes)

Last edited by xoleras20099,

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Go to Settings > Video and change the aspect ratio from 4:3 or 16:9 or whatever you have it set to, to "Per Core" or something (it's the last option) , it picks the correct aspect ratio depending on the system (MAME is the only exception as different arcade machines have different screen sizes)
This works in theory, but in reality this is not necessarily optimal.

For example, we might want to use integer scaling with GameBoy games to allow us to use a border overlay, whereas with MegaDrive or Snes games this is not optimal because we want the image full screen 4:3. Some formats are better set to 1:1 PAR, whereas others are better forced to 4:3 due to using non-square pixels (CPS2).

Ideally, we really want to be able to manually optimise the video settings for each individual format.

Reactions: MDashK

djricekcn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Neo Geo is special in that the neogeo.zip file has to be in your rom directory.

Don't use 'Load Core', use 'Load Content'.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hmm, the stable seems to revert the naming back to CATSFC, Snes9x Next etc., and doesn't include CATSFC Plus or pocketSnes at all, nor the PCE core.

EDIT - In fact, it just had .velf
Thanks!

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes! I see that this updates regularly after a new nightly is released.!

...I-I try to keep this updated as Nightlies leave the proverbial oven. >~<

Hmm, the stable seems to revert the naming back to CATSFC, Snes9x Next etc., and doesn't include CATSFC Plus or pocketSnes at all, nor the PCE core.

EDIT - In fact, it just had .velf

And thaaaat's because the stable build was made July 16th, while the .vpk nightlies didn't start coming out until August.

laharl22

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Does it need a bios for cps1 and cps2?when i open a ROM on ZIP format it close the core it the same for Neo-Geo it close the emulator i have the neogeo.zip BIOS on system folder

Last edited by laharl22,

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it need a bios for cps1 and cps2?when i open a ROM on ZIP format it close the core it the same for Neo-Geo it close the emulator i have the neogeo.zip BIOS on system folder
cps1 and neogeo doesn't work at all in my case using retroarch so i use cps1psp and mvspsp using a vhbl bubble for now. cps2 works for the most part with the main game i came across that did not load so far was super street fighter 2 turbo/x grand master challenge.

saenfry

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i use fba neogeo 2012 to play kof2003. game was run but the picture is erorr. i use unibios 3.2.

any idea to make it playable? thanks

guisadop

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's not even available at the moment, since the devs are busy with Dynarec implementation.
I doubt it would work fine at the moment, anyways...
Oh, I'm sorry, I only read the OP and thought it was available again :P Anyway, I think the vita has the potential to run it pretty great.

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I'm sorry, I only read the OP and thought it was available again :P Anyway, I think the vita has the potential to run it pretty great.

Without any help from the GPU, and at this early a stage...
Eh, I doubt it.

Thing is, the PS Vita's CPU has been confirmed to be around either slightly slower or faster than the current New Nintendo 3DS. So really, the most speed difference we MAY find might be from the GPU.
Or, at least theorized so far... Yeah, taking off the tin-foil hat now.

I've said this before, the best PS1 emulation will probably be if a 3.60 TN-X exploit comes out...

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Without any help from the GPU, and at this early a stage...
Eh, I doubt it.

Thing is, the PS Vita's CPU has been confirmed to be around either slightly slower or faster than the current New Nintendo 3DS. So really, the most speed difference we MAY find might be from the GPU.
Or, at least theorized so far... Yeah, taking off the tin-foil hat now.

I've said this before, the best PS1 emulation will probably be if a 3.60 TN-X exploit comes out...
If the New 3DS performance is anything to go by, it should run many games decently even using software rendering.

An exploit for the official emulator remains optimal of course, but it would be nice to have an open source alternative.

Does theFl0w's PS1 bubble trick still work on 3.60? If so, we only actually need an ePSP kernel exploit, not a PS1 exploit as well.

Reactions: MKKhanzo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: any mushroom trip adventures you can share