Retroarch is now on Retail Mode (Xbox Series S/X)

GABO1423

Half the man he used to be.
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
nm, I fixed it. I had to give permissions to all application packages. now, games load up super fast from usb. :D
This also allows you to store some files from LocalState from the USB drive instead, cutting down on update times in that regard. Just don't try that with the cores since that will break them completely. And retroarch.cfg is stuck to LocalState anyway.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when you say some, do you mean things like bios, saves, states, and especially thumbnails? the last one is what takes so long.

GABO1423

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
when you say some, do you mean things like bios, saves, states, and especially thumbnails? the last one is what takes so long.
All of those work from USB indeed, just don't forget to also change the directories in RetroArch itself (Settings > Directory) to reflect this.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's only after adding access by application packages. because I tried this before doing that, and it didn't work?

GABO1423

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
it's only after adding access by application packages. because I tried this before doing that, and it didn't work?
Correct. That's what I call having a drive with the correct permissions. Without that, it will not work, and a NTFS drive is required to even do that. If you have a FAT32 or exFAT drive, you can only load games from USB.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alright, I checked before enabling that, and it was indeed ntfs. :D I'll do it tomorrow. I need to put my games in a games' folder, since they're in separate folders for each system on the root. then put Retroarch Essentials on there, which has all my bios, thumbnails, etc. in it. ;)

Reactions: GABO1423

GABO1423

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
alright, I checked before enabling that, and it was indeed ntfs. :D I'll do it tomorrow. I need to put my games in a games' folder, since they're in separate folders for each system on the root. then put Retroarch Essentials on there, which has all my bios, thumbnails, etc. in it. ;)
Hope you enjoy taking less than an hour to update RetroArch now lol.

• Haha

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hope you enjoy taking less than an hour to update RetroArch now lol.
can I backup the retroarch.cfg file, then reinject it whenever there's an update or is that unwise to do? it's only 1 file on the root of local state, right? is it safe to just unplug and plug in the drive while the xbox is in standby?

GABO1423

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
can I backup the retroarch.cfg file, then reinject it whenever there's an update or is that unwise to do? it's only 1 file on the root of local state, right? is it safe to just unplug and plug in the drive while the xbox is in standby?
For the first question, you can always backup retroarch.cfg and just overwrite the file when needed. And retroarch.cfg is indeed on the root of LocalState.

The second question, yes. Even if Windows might complain if you do that, it's perfectly safe.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the first question, you can always backup retroarch.cfg and just overwrite the file when needed. And retroarch.cfg is indeed on the root of LocalState.

The second question, yes. Even if Windows might complain if you do that, it's perfectly safe.
alright, I just uninstalled and reinstalled retroarch on retail, since that's the only one I'm worried about (being taken down or something). it's also much easier to wipe the slate clean of over 40,000 files in local state.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have all files on the external now, but what's odd is that it said the recycle bin was corrupted when I plugged it into my laptop, so I told it to fix it. it's the right size now, checked by showing os files in folder settings, then disabled it after checking. :D

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got retail to work this way. I had to reinstall dev mode, but I think I need to redo to have separate folders for the playlists or they'll overwrite each other.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BTW, do you think that's the only thing I need to change? I was unable to access local folder in dev mode, only the D drive, so I couldn't back up the dev mode Retroarch config file.

GABO1423

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
BTW, do you think that's the only thing I need to change? I was unable to access local folder in dev mode, only the D drive, so I couldn't back up the dev mode Retroarch config file.
I think so. Besides Playlists, nothing in RetroArch is really sensitive to the path of a file (except for the cores of course). You can easily have the rest of the files be shared between both modes no problem.

Plus, having retroarch.cfg stuck in LocalState means it's impossible for the cfg for Retail to conflict with the cfg for Dev and vice versa.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think so. Besides Playlists, nothing in RetroArch is really sensitive to the path of a file (except for the cores of course). You can easily have the rest of the files be shared between both modes no problem.

Plus, having retroarch.cfg stuck in LocalState means it's impossible for the cfg for Retail to conflict with the cfg for Dev and vice versa.
I can't ftp the dev mode one. I can't access the local folder or local state. D doesn't contain the config.

GABO1423

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I can't ftp the dev mode one. I can't access the local folder or local state. D doesn't contain the config.
That's an issue a decent amount of users have reported about. Were it not for USB devices or the fact that the D Drive has some flexibility, you would be screwed. I'm lucky enough to not have this issue however. I really couldn't tell why it happens, how to avoid it, and how to fix it though. If this happens even when Durango FTP is set as a Game, then not much you can do sadly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Let us know what you're naming this std
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :rofl2: o..............................................k. [hello Bellvue, we've got another "customer" for you]
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    The one problem I haven't been able to solve was tweaking physics, it's almost a philosophical problem, are all universes on a time limit? Can you have creation without destruction, like ying and yang.
    +2
    Well, Yang is the one that hangs lower. So go from there :)
    +2
    Lol my date said it's turtles all the way down
    +2
    I told her I didn't know how many times it's happened but this isn't the first
    Also the first one.... What caused that?
    Bilateral Infusion
    +2
    A Mobius strip of time, perhaps lol
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tell her you're a virgin also it helps
    +2
    I don't think any part of me is virgin... God even my toes have been in a vagina lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your toes are sluttier than Juan's
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    should I delete retroarch from both my pc and my steam library?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Lmao
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    You guys are funny.
    +2
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    no, keep retroarch
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Delete sys32 better n64 performance
    I use retroarch but in Batocera
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    emulation users hate him for that simple trick
    +2
    It's the only way lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @DinohScene, why should I keep it?
    Alt F4 to access windows built in cheat function, it works on any program!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tried literal dual screen emulation split view on Citra via steam link got bored and gave up
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, thx?