Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi!
I've been using RetroArch for some CPS2 games.
It works good, but yesterday, was wondering if I could use RetroArch to emulate MAME.

I looked for the core, and found that (apparently yesterday) RetroArch Cores got Updated.
So I downloaded a pack with all the cores updated.

I have the Wii's RetroArch 0.9.9.
And the Mame2000 Core is mame2000_libretro_wii.dol

My CPS2 Core .dol was downloaded from here. Can't recall which post. But it works.

BUT, Mame2000_libretro_wii.dol loads fine, but my controller is all messed up, and it won't let me configure the buttons for my games nor for the menu.
First:
When loading the core. All buttons doesn't work, except for D-Pad UP, D-Pad DOWN and A.
D-Pad UP makes it go DOWN (as up and down were switched) and D-Päd DOWN acts like the A button.

Is there something wrong with the Core?
Or is the RetroArch Wii 0.9.9 that it's too old for the Mame2000 Core?
I have MAMEWii installed in my console, but I hate that in-game music noise, and the common stuck dumps.
Besides, I'm looking for compatibility with some games that MAMEWii can't run.

Anyone knows what's the problem?

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Have you used the more recent builds? RetroArch 0.9.9 is incredibly outdated, 1.6.4 should be the most recent one. Failing that, try 1.4.0, delete config files beforehand.

Oh, didn't knew it's been updated.
Say, can you give me a clue from where can I get it?
Also... do I have to update my CPS2 Core too? Or can I keep the one that I currently have?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Ah, yes, tested.
Re installed everything.
Got a few questions if you don't mind.

Uh... is it normal that MAME2000 brings to black screen with DSI Exception Error everytime I want to change a game?
Also... is it me? Or the Audio sounds a bit noisy in this version?

D

Deleted User

I stopped updating Retroarch a long time ago. Eversince the developers decided for quicker releases the Cores got more unstable and unoptimized.
My Personal favourite is Retroarch Version 1.0.2. from 2015. You can even play some CP2 Arcade Games. Cudos to @nakata6790 for providing us with an working build.

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Now what do you use?
Honestly? Having Retro Arch in my Wii is way better than risking my laptop with many emulators and many roms.
I decided to use my laptop for work, otherwise, I'd would've filled my lap with Final Burn Alpha and MAME32 or something like that... besides NES, SNES, and all the GBA/GB/GBC games.

So far I'm happy with RetroArch 1.6. The compatibility with MAME has improved rather than using MAMEWii.

CPS2 games on RetroArch are also great.
So far the only one I hadn't been able to boot is Marvel vs. Capcom.
No matter what I can't, but the classics like:
Street Fighter 2 New Challengers, all the Vampire Saviour and Darkstalkers, and Marvel vs Street Fighter/Super Heroes and Xmen vs. Street Fighter are loading just fine, even with the 0.9.9 version of the Emulator.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
http://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/1.6.6/nintendo/wii/

Yes, it should come with all the cores. Wii may struggle with certain ROMs due to only having 40 or so MB to work with.
Again, some may work, others may not, you'll need to test them. No prob :P
Stop spreading BS. All CPS games work on the Wii. It doesn't "struggle" with games.

Now what do you use?
Honestly? Having Retro Arch in my Wii is way better than risking my laptop with many emulators and many roms.
I decided to use my laptop for work, otherwise, I'd would've filled my lap with Final Burn Alpha and MAME32 or something like that... besides NES, SNES, and all the GBA/GB/GBC games.

So far I'm happy with RetroArch 1.6. The compatibility with MAME has improved rather than using MAMEWii.

CPS2 games on RetroArch are also great.
So far the only one I hadn't been able to boot is Marvel vs. Capcom.
No matter what I can't, but the classics like:
Street Fighter 2 New Challengers, all the Vampire Saviour and Darkstalkers, and Marvel vs Street Fighter/Super Heroes and Xmen vs. Street Fighter are loading just fine, even with the 0.9.9 version of the Emulator.
Every game for CPS-1 and CPS-2 is working (Konami games also work perfect), so be sure to use the correct ROM set for any arcade game, or else you won't be able to run them. I would recommend 1.4.1.0, which is my backup build to fall back. I upgraded to 1.6.7.0 and haven't had problems (CPS and Neo Geo games), the important thing here is that once you find a core that works great for you, you stick to it. If you upgrade versions, try erasing config files to discard conflicts, but specially if you came from the really old versions like 0.9/1.0/1.2/1.3. There's almost no need to upgrade to the latest and greatest, unless of course you need an specific new fix for that core.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi there guys, we'd like you to test something for us -

remember the random input data issues that happened at regular intervals.

Apparently SuperSsonic told me that there was a regression in libogc. So, I am now using a custom version of libogc baked into RetroArch itself.

Please test this nightly -

https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/nintendo/wii/

Test 2017-08-20.

and tell me if the random input bug is now finally fixed.

Also, we fixed the bad sound issue with FB Alpha 2012 CPS2.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Hi there guys, we'd like you to test something for us -

remember the random input data issues that happened at regular intervals.

Apparently SuperSsonic told me that there was a regression in libogc. So, I am now using a custom version of libogc baked into RetroArch itself.

Please test this nightly -

https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/nintendo/wii/

Test 2017-08-20.

and tell me if the random input bug is now finally fixed.

Also, we fixed the bad sound issue with FB Alpha 2012 CPS2.
Pretty cool news, i'll be testing this right now. I have a GCN pad, Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro, and a Dualshock 3 available (also a Wii U Pro Controller, but doesn't seem to work at all on Retroarch, whether it is wireless or wired). Should i test with all of those?

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Pretty cool news, i'll be testing this right now. I have a GCN pad, Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro, and a Dualshock 3 available (also a Wii U Pro Controller, but doesn't seem to work at all on Retroarch, whether it is wireless or wired). Should i test with all of those?

Im not sure. I had the issue happen to me regularly with a Classic Controller though. What would happen is that sometimes D-pad up/down or any other button would just be held down even though I wasn't pressing those buttons at all. Very annoying.

See this thread here -

https://github.com/SuperrSonic/RA-SS/commit/29d6467d28a835136b8ab87e209feb34421983ff

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well, just tested the 2017-08-20 and it works, except for the sound.
Is way better than the 1.6.4 but not near as perfect as in the 0.9.9 version, which is the one I've used for 1+ year.
Tested with Gamecube controller and it works fine, as usual.

The sound is still buggy, not an expert in sound, but certainly sounds weird.
Also... literally, some CPS2 games takes up to 3 or 5 minutes to load.
I've donwloaded Marvel vs. Capcom and i thought the Emulator froze, but no, it was just loading the game.

EDIT: Don't know if the text glitches in MAME2000 core with SEGA, Konami and some other games are still present, as I moved those roms to play with MAMEWii instead.
Also... the sound not being perfect is only present with the CPS2 core.
But I don't know if it's present with CPS1 games, as I don't play any of those.

Last edited by Gizametalman,

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Im not sure. I had the issue happen to me regularly with a Classic Controller though. What would happen is that sometimes D-pad up/down or any other button would just be held down even though I wasn't pressing those buttons at all. Very annoying.

See this thread here -

https://github.com/SuperrSonic/RA-SS/commit/29d6467d28a835136b8ab87e209feb34421983ff
Okay, so i've tested with this release: GCN pad / Classic Controller / Dualshock 2 (Twin USB Joystick), played with CPS-1, CPS-2, Neo Geo, GenesisPlus GX, no issue at all.

Wii Classic Controller Pro d-pad did in fact stick a bit on the RGUI, but only when it was pressed (no phantom inputs), though i wouldn't be surprised since it is a knockoff, same behaviour as in previous releases of Retroarch.

The sound is still buggy, not an expert in sound, but certainly sounds weird.
Both CPS-1 and CPS-2 now sound as they should, exactly as it was pre-1.4.0.0 for me. The difference is heaven and earth here. Tested with Marvel vs. Capcom, Street Fighter Alpha 1 / Alpha 3, Hyper Street Fighter II, 1944.

Also... literally, some CPS2 games takes up to 3 or 5 minutes to load.
I've donwloaded Marvel vs. Capcom and i thought the Emulator froze, but no, it was just loading the game.
I did not have a single issue with this or any previous versions regarding loading times, ever. All my roms load in seconds, with an old 16GB Class 2 SD card. The only difference was that now some loading combinations stopped Hyper Street Fighter II from working correctly, exhibiting a black screen with sound only (try mvsc.zip, and inmediately after hsf2.zip), this wasn't happening in 1.6.6.0.

Old issues still present: Forgotten Worlds controls are not hooked, only coin. In Pnickies, it seems that the buttons are incorrectly hooked to L / R shoulder buttons. Diagnostics enabled doesn't do anything. Carrier Air Wing crashes in less than 5 minutes in-game.

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Both CPS-1 and CPS-2 now sound as they should, exactly as it was pre-1.4.0.0 for me. The difference is heaven and earth here. Tested with Marvel vs. Capcom, Street Fighter Alpha 1 / Alpha 3, Hyper Street Fighter II, 1944.

Seriously?
They're supposed to sound like that?

Would it be possible to go back to 0.9.9 with the cores updated from the 1.6 version?
Just so I can hear the CPS2 games as I was used to.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Seriously?
They're supposed to sound like that?
Given that you reported loading problems (there aren't) i would suggest you to check for defects on: your cable connections, your console, sound system/TV, games, loading device, and finally, that you are using the aforementioned nightly build.

Would it be possible to go back to 0.9.9 with the cores updated from the 1.6 version?
Just so I can hear the CPS2 games as I was used to.
Flat out no. Cores are self-contained. If 0.9.9 works for you, then keep it in your RA folder.

Reactions: Gizametalman

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Given that you reported loading problems (there aren't) i would suggest you to check for defects on: your cable connections, your console, sound system/TV, games, loading device, and finally, that you are using the aforementioned nightly build.

Flat out no. Cores are self-contained. If 0.9.9 works for you, then keep it in your RA folder.

This is kind of weird, but, I just took out all the CPS2 games, and re-pasted them on my SD and now the loading time has improved a lot.
Hmmm... don't mind my previous statement about loading times taking too long.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for the testing so far.

So, out of all of you, who had the issue originally before this release? The phantom inputs that is? That is the issue that we'd like to get some feedback on, if that is resolved or not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had one before that, and never had one since