Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

geheim

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
gpsp never crashed for me on the o3DS, so I assume this only happens on n3DS? that's the thing though, n3DS only issues aren't issues I can "look into" :P

Yes it seems to be a N3DS only issue... Thats too bad, so no chance to get this fixed?? :(
Well thanks anyway, perhaps it gets figured out eventually by anyone else. Really appreciate all of your work :)

Empu1

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Am I the only one seeing this after closing a rom?

b8rbky.jpg

Currently using the October 11th nightlies. New Nintendo 3DS XL with Luma CFW. Performance is pretty good for the most part. Super Mario Advance 4 has graphical issues on the top of the screen, but that's about it.

Usl5264

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all,

I have installed the retroarch_3ds.cia but when I launch it I get a black screen and the 3ds does back to the home screen. I am running this on a O3DS.

Any idea why this won't run retroarch? Also do I need to installed the other cia files for the main one to work?

Thanks

coinblock

Trophies
XP
Country
gpsp never crashed for me on the o3DS, so I assume this only happens on n3DS? that's the thing though, n3DS only issues aren't issues I can "look into" :P
The crashing is caused by the dynarec, apparently. If you disable that setting it seems to stop, but it's worse on some games than others. I was just trying out WarioWare, Inc on the latest nightly and experienced a crash about 5 minutes in during gameplay. Metal Slug Advance and Metroid Fusion also crash often. I'm using the CIA builds on N3DS.

Last edited by coinblock,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The latest nightly doesn't boot the retroarch_3ds.cia for me.
Whenever I try to boot it, I get a message saying the SD Card has been removed. Press Home to return to the menu.
I cannot seem to get past this screen.

Also, the individual cores seem to crash when you try to import or add a directory, and choosing to add an individual file doesn't seem to do anything.

I haven't found any more bugs so far, pretty neat work you guys are doing! :D

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any reason why the Neo-Geo core is so slow? It used to be full speed, but it's nowhere near that now. Am I doing something wrong? What's the latest version that runs at a decent clip?

Also, MAME2000 and Final Burn Alpha won't run... it just black screens. I suspect the XML file is to blame; how should I edit it? Thanks in advance for the help.

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,

I have installed the retroarch_3ds.cia but when I launch it I get a black screen and the 3ds does back to the home screen. I am running this on a O3DS.

Any idea why this won't run retroarch? Also do I need to installed the other cia files for the main one to work?

Thanks

You need to have the individual core CIAs installed along with the corresponding .core files in the retroarch/cores folder (ex. the gpSP CIA and gpsp.core). I had the same problem but aliaspider cleared it up for me about a couple pages back.

Usl5264

Trophies
XP
Country
But if I install all cias then there's not point in the main retroarch cia as the rest would be individual emulators.

Is there anyway to have all the emulators combined it to 1 cia?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

xoleras20099

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But if I install all cias then there's not point in the main retroarch cia as the rest would be individual emulators.

Is there anyway to have all the emulators combined it to 1 cia?

Just put all the cores in the end of a folder, thats what I do.

Usl5264

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh Ok. But still when I run the retroarch_3ds.cia the Emulator just shows a black screen and then back to the home screen. Is it because I have a o3ds?

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh Ok. But still when I run the retroarch_3ds.cia the Emulator just shows a black screen and then back to the home screen. Is it because I have a o3ds?

Did you put the necessary .core files inside the retroarch/cores folder on your SD card?

Also, you don't have to install ALL of the cores, just the ones you want.

Fatalanus

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Ok so after more tests:
- Picodrive.cia
The sound is perfect if you set up DSP but not with nearest resampler, you need to let CC. And it's perfect! :)
Only nitpick is that really few games does not launch but come on all the rest is absolutely brilliant!!
Great great job team!!

coinblock

Trophies
XP
Country
Any reason why the Neo-Geo core is so slow? It used to be full speed, but it's nowhere near that now. Am I doing something wrong? What's the latest version that runs at a decent clip?

Also, MAME2000 and Final Burn Alpha won't run... it just black screens. I suspect the XML file is to blame; how should I edit it? Thanks in advance for the help.

I just ran Metal Slug X on my N3DS with the 12/10/16 CIA build and had a solid 60fps through the first 3 levels. Did you leave a video filter on or something?

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dunno, it's just been acting way strange. I didn't try that specific game, but the one I did use crawled at the Neo-Geo opener. Would it help to delete the retroarch.cfg file? Where is that on a 3DS?

EDIT: I just tried Metal Slug X. I'm getting 20FPS on the latest build, and it's frustrating because earlier builds ran at the proper speed. I'm using a .3DSX file; I can't use CIAs on this system because it's not running a kernal hack. It shouldn't need one, since the emulator was running fine before.

Also, I still can't seem to get the larger emulators (MAME 2000, Final Burn, etc.) to run at all. RetroArch... doesn't make anything easy, does it?

Last edited by ArugulaZ,

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I dunno, it's just been acting way strange. I didn't try that specific game, but the one I did use crawled at the Neo-Geo opener. Would it help to delete the retroarch.cfg file? Where is that on a 3DS?

EDIT: I just tried Metal Slug X. I'm getting 20FPS on the latest build, and it's frustrating because earlier builds ran at the proper speed. I'm using a .3DSX file; I can't use CIAs on this system because it's not running a kernal hack. It shouldn't need one, since the emulator was running fine before.

Also, I still can't seem to get the larger emulators (MAME 2000, Final Burn, etc.) to run at all. RetroArch... doesn't make anything easy, does it?

> I'm using a .3DSX file; I can't use CIAs on this system because it's not running a kernal hack.

And that's the source of all your problems really. On a properly hacked New 3DS, this would never happen. I haven't had it happen here at least on an AH9L New 3DS (which has a kernel hack).

> It shouldn't need one, since the emulator was running fine before.

Well, we can't test your setup, and furthermore, these toolchains/SDKs are in flux and always experimental. There's always the possibility of regressions happening. We are mainly userland programmers, whatever happens in SDK/toolchain land is something we don't have a lot of grasp over.

aliaspider

Trophies
XP
Country
Tunisia
Am I the only one seeing this after closing a rom?

b8rbky.jpg

Currently using the October 11th nightlies. New Nintendo 3DS XL with Luma CFW. Performance is pretty good for the most part. Super Mario Advance 4 has graphical issues on the top of the screen, but that's about it.
fixed.

coinblock

Trophies
XP
Country

Go to your video settings and scroll down to "video filter". If one is selected, press start to disable it, they're big performance hogs on some emulators.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    human with cyborg enhancements
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or like terminatior
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    with living tissue
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty there is health behaviour you can add to your character, then to use a health bar is lil more complicated, google n watch a few tutorial video on it, be too hard to explain here.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, the character has the health behavior
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I know you have to create a health and health max variable. Then there is a calculation you use in code to subtract width size of the health bar. Google few vids.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, the "greenflatbar" is one of the preset health bars btw
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you can use any bar/sprite. It will just change the width. Ok good luck and have fun. I'm off to go shoot some pool at the bar. Talk to you later.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, why does the health behavior exist if you can just use a variable?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and nope the number still doesnt change
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ok im gonna make my own asset
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm i think i fixed it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I fixed it
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    how are you\
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, we just talked like 2 hours ago
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had the Goodyear blimp fly real low right over my house this morning, was weird out of nowhere looking up and seeing it that close up. Memorial golf tourney going on by me in Dublin Ohio and its there.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i tried the gdevelop mobile app and theres a event limit and you have to pay to add more events
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I never used the mobile or online versions, just the pc version.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i only use the online version
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I was at the bar for 1 hour and lost $40 playing pool, and said well that's enough for my unlucky day, better quit. Some sharks up there today.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, did you get drunk?
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, did you get drunk?