Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

geheim

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I just want to say thank you to @aliaspider and @LibretroRetroArc for working on RetroArch 3DS again! I really appreciate your time and effort to make this great homebrew working for all of us to enjoy on our 3DS.
Really looking foward to you finding the solution to the dynarec issues in gpsp, but I'm really pleased to see the improvements over the last few days :)

shawn_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question I've been searching to answer on Google, no luck yet...

I have installed the latest DosBox commit (1.3.6 DosBox 2f5a) .cia on my N3DS which is running Corbenik and Luma on newest firmware 11.1
I boot up DosBox, go to load content, navigate to the dos game I am trying to run on the emulator, run the .exe which I know starts the game, and I get the following error message:
RetroArch
:: cannot push NULL or empty core info into the playlist.

Game is Moraff's Revenge, very basic DOS game made in 1988, loved it as a kid. I still have the full version that I bought from them :)

Last question (for now lol).
- Is there a specific folder and area I should be placing the game folder at, right now it is in the retroarch folder on the sdmc root.

Thank you for your help!

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country

Sorry if i'm beign harsh, but after so many months being told "If you want to emulate a SNES buy a N3DS because if a Retroarch core can't on o3DS, no one will" the Snes9x standalone emulator for o3DS makes me feel (rightly, i think) vindicated

Please don't misunderstand me, i love Retroarch, i've been updating faithfully the PC Version, had a few issues with the Wii version and never complained and i'm still excited for the 3DS version. Thing is, i'm tired of the o3DS being ignored and, i'm fact, can't help but wonder if someone in the Libretro staff got a o3DS instead of a New 3DS

I'm no programmer, but i know well enough that yours is a free, voluntary work. I'm not going to start pestering this thread again after my first conflict when i just arrived to the forum, but couldn't help but react to that post about Snes9x. It was just bullshit, and i know few are going to point it.

Also sorry but no, sit and wait if i'm not a developer is not a good way to tackle issues. Being polite yes, but being nice and shutting my mouth is not giving feeback. Few people in this forum have a o3DS, so i'll report the state of every build i can install, if that means pointing that those are not optimized enough yet, well... i'm sorry, that's how it is.

Giving a go to PocketSNES would be a nice starting point, by the way.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Checking out the 3DS version again after many months of absence - great to see it is active again!

Just curious, can we use per-core settings yet?

coinblock

Trophies
XP
Country
Checking out the 3DS version again after many months of absence - great to see it is active again!

Just curious, can we use per-core settings yet?

Yep, core and game specific settings and overrides seem to finally be working now!

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yep, core and game specific settings and overrides seem to finally be working now!
Great.

Related to this, as Aliaspider mentioned earlier, some of the bigger NeoGeo roms indeed do not work due to the XMB taking up more RAM (such as SNK vs. Capcom) so for that core alone, it might be worth having a custom config with the XMB disabled.

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
ok. More or less finished icons and banners. Took about 8 hours for all of them. I'm going to post them here for criticism.

After I fix/adjust anything, I'll make a PR of them.

If you have other suggestions for MAME cabs, logos that I've missed, etc. just let me know. Also I like the cave story icon so I'm leaving it, lol.
They are perfect!!!
I always wanted cooler banners/icons for retroarch, the only thing that could improve those are 3D banners made with official SDK [emoji14]

aliaspider

Trophies
XP
Country
Tunisia
ok. More or less finished icons and banners. Took about 8 hours for all of them. I'm going to post them here for criticism.

After I fix/adjust anything, I'll make a PR of them.

If you have other suggestions for MAME cabs, logos that I've missed, etc. just let me know. Also I like the cave story icon so I'm leaving it, lol.
the banners looks really awesome!!
pull request when ? :D

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
This is not magic, we are trying to do the best we can (and 'we' in this case is literally two people, aliaspider and me). As for myself, I only recently received 3DSes, I can now finally start looking at what the state of things are. If we can backport any optimizations from that Snes9x fork, we will. It could help out a lot of other platforms besides 3DS. Hopefully they didn't cause too many regressions though like Snes9x Euphoria before on PSP.

All the same though, I think your attitude here is really counterproductive and it won't help us improve RetroArch and it won't help improve the feedback we get in this thread either. If you are dissatisfied with the state of things, if you are a developer and have some skills, you can either contribute, or you can just sit and wait. We have a lot of stuff on our plate.

I am not going to go through the same thing again as with RetroArch Wii on gbatemp years ago when certain people made any discussion here useless and the atmosphere turned so hostile that I felt compelled to leave. So I respectfully ask you that you at least don't barge in here like this anymore and adopt a more constructive attitude. If not and if this kind of negative attitude starts taking hold of this forum, I will again retreat to my own forum. If you don't care yourself, at best you can not ruin it for everybody else posting in this thread.
Thank you so very much for working on retroarch 3ds. Please put Osakasan in your ignore list. He is known in here to be totally hopeless in these discussions. Then youll hopefully be free from the nagging bullshit some people spread in here :)

44100hz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by 44100hz,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Just tested out the new nightly build released a few mins ago.

Almost all cores are still crashing when trying to boot any ROM.
Only ones which didn't crash were Mednafen VB and MAME 2003.
The rest of the cores I use they all crash and reboot the console.
Nestopia and Genesis Plus GX still fail after the SET_ command, while SNEX9X 2002 and fMSX last line on the lower screen is about the font (also appears in Mame and M-VB before booting the ROMs, so I think that line is normal).

Using latest nightly 10-02 with the XBM menu.

Last edited by ShadowOne333,

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Could you guys pay some attention to Gambatte? Nobody mentions it, but the 3DS is in a dire need of a perfect GBC emulator. Gambatte is already pretty much perfect, but the sound is really bad on it, a lot of notes get "scratchy" output. Try Mario Tennis out for example, it's terrible.

Thanks for your hard work as always, libretro devs. You've doing a great service to the emulation scene, not just on 3DS.

I'm no programmer, but i know well enough that yours is a free, voluntary work. I'm not going to start pestering this thread again after my first conflict when i just arrived to the forum, but couldn't help but react to that post about Snes9x. It was just bullshit, and i know few are going to point it.
You have to understand how difficult what you're asking is. How difficult it is to code to a specific platform.

Libretro devs have a ton of platforms to mantain. Vita, Windows, Linux, Android, Xbox, you name it. They have several cores, ranging from NES to PSP. With SNES9X 3DS you can already see how much time was invested into optimizing A SINGLE CORE for the 3DS. Now why should libretro devs invest so much time into optimizing JUST for the 3DS when they have to mantain their codebase for several platforms? Why should the 3DS be privileged by them? It's not how it works.

A lot of the cores work really, really well on the O3DS. I'm already thankful for them.

Last edited by Sizednochi,
Reactions: SLiV3R and 44100hz

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Could you guys pay some attention to Gambatte? Nobody mentions it, but the 3DS is in a dire need of a perfect GBC emulator. Gambatte is already pretty much perfect, but the sound is really bad on it, a lot of notes get "scratchy" output. Try Mario Tennis out for example, it's terrible.

Thanks for your hard work as always, libretro devs. You've doing a great service to the emulation scene, not just on 3DS.

You have to understand how difficult what you're asking is. How difficult it is to code to a specific platform.

Libretro devs have a ton of platforms to mantain. Vita, Windows, Linux, Android, Xbox, you name it. They have several cores, ranging from NES to PSP. With SNES9X 3DS you can already see how much time was invested into optimizing A SINGLE CORE for the 3DS. Now why should libretro devs invest so much time into optimizing JUST for the 3DS when they have to mantain their codebase for several platforms? Why should the 3DS be privileged by them? It's not how it works.

A lot of the cores work really, really well on the O3DS. I'm already thankful for them.
Mmm... not sure if all of the libreto team are working for all platforms or some work for a specific platform, in this case, @aliasspider and the other guy. But indeed, there are a lot of cores that works almost perfectly on o3ds.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Speak to Psi, he'll offer you some in Tempycoin. :tpi:
    +1
  • OGSniper @ OGSniper:
    Day after day, we drink beer, Night after night my heartbeat shows the fear
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Beer can be bad for your teeth
  • OGSniper @ OGSniper:
    Teeth? What Teeth?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Do crack instead. Beer is more of a depressant.
  • OGSniper @ OGSniper:
    I like taking trips without even leaving my house, if ya know what I mean.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hygienist name is Jose I'm like fuck Juan found me
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did he ask to see yo feet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Teeth
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's second cousin obsessed with teeth
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you wake up with your belt un-buckled?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Let me lift you up in my chair
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Down there, teeth removal is putting you behind an angry donkey.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Teeth removal is tying the donkeys hair to the tooth and slapping it's ass
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The cleaning stuff they used was actually nice tasted like frosting
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That'd be 2million pesos, drink this tequila for your pain.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Also buy my art senior don't forget what happened with Germany
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    For reference, so everyone knows we are not racist, just like to pick on Juan, and he gives it back to us 'murdicans in return. I love me some latinos.
    +1
  • Morganna @ Morganna:
    hello? anyone alive here?
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm dead inside
  • Morganna @ Morganna:
    at least you can chat :)
  • Morganna @ Morganna:
    i dont want to sound silly, but im kind of lost, im new to this community and i have a lot of question and idk where to start
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I watched baby yoda eat frog eggs on mandalorian last night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Morganna Welcome to the temp! what are your questions?
    +1
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @Morganna Welcome to the temp! what are your questions? +1