Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

gaboumafou

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Are those saying Mario RPG and Yoshi's Island run perfectly on PocketSNES using the latest stable? I tried them and, while they run impressively, it's far from being flawless. Mario RPG has a lot of screen tearing (?) when the map is scrolling and has missing backgrounds, and Yoshi's Island looks choppy despite the FPS counter being stable.

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can try.

My setup: N3DS, Hax 2.6, using 3DSX versions from 17th March

I haven't needed to tinker with any settings to get games to run any better / smoother so I'd like to think that it shouldn't be necessary for anyone else to do this either.

PCE isos are sat in their own folders, each of which contain a tiny .cue file and a huge .iso (or .bin) file.

Have you tried one of the stable releases and / or an ISO without modified sound files? The Rondo that worked for me was a comparatively straight rip of the OG Japanese release. I don't think any of the English translations / PSP fan hack versions will run on 3DS Mednafen PCE unless someone can convert one into a friendlier format, maybe.

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Are those saying Mario RPG and Yoshi's Island run perfectly on PocketSNES using the latest stable? I tried them and, while they run impressively, it's far from being flawless. Mario RPG has a lot of screen tearing (?) when the map is scrolling and has missing backgrounds, and Yoshi's Island looks choppy despite the FPS counter being stable.

I think Yoshi's Island looks and feels perfect, in game at least. The menus are laggy though.

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
These run superbly on O3DS:

NES: QuickNES
Mega Drive / Master System: Picodrive
Game Boy: Gambatte

Non-retroarch options:

- Blargsnes runs quite a lot pretty well - it's certainly the best O3DS option for Snes. I was pleasantly surprised!
- Gameyob too. It isn't quite Gambatte (sound isn't as accurate) but the super gameboy options are marvelous.

Reactions: RocketRobz

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought the stable PocketSNES .cia for both of those games ran very well on my non-XL N3DS: I only noticed an HDMA background mis-colorization in SMRPG and the title/credits/fuzzies/lava lagging YI, but everything else about YI seemed fine.

Although I'd like to mention something else: I was playing FF6 in the stable pocketsnes.cia on my non-XL N3DS (A9LH sysnand 10.7) and I noticed that the vibrato on the music totally detuned the song channels until it triggered the next note.

Emenaria

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Wow I didn't know something like this existed.
Up until now I've been using BlargSNES because I thought it was the best SNES emulator for (New)3DS. Feel so stupid.
Anyway I'll switch to PocketSNES from now on. Thank you.

Last edited by Emenaria,

TheCasketMan

Keyblade Apprentice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought the stable PocketSNES .cia for both of those games ran very well on my non-XL N3DS: I only noticed an HDMA background mis-colorization in SMRPG and the title/credits/fuzzies/lava lagging YI, but everything else about YI seemed fine.

Although I'd like to mention something else: I was playing FF6 in the stable pocketsnes.cia on my non-XL N3DS (A9LH sysnand 10.7) and I noticed that the vibrato on the music totally detuned the song channels until it triggered the next note.

Audio emulation is mediocre on PocketSNES/CatSFC, decent on CatSFC Plus, and excellent on SNES9x Next.

kratoz29

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Does anyone uses any of those cias to play sega's games?

It runs quite poor in my O3DS (emunand 10.7), I was expecting a bit more since the DS (R4) version runs fairly well, I know there's a big difference in the way those emulators are developed (that's why my first question).

Also I can't run BlargSnes in the same handheld, it just gives me a black screen (the cia version).

In my NN3DSXL Catsfc Plus goes pretty well, so Genesis plus.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Use Picodrive for MegaDrive (Genesis) games on the O3DS, but depending on the game it may still not be full speed.

Genesis Plus GX is slower because its more accurate and isn't optimised for ARM processors like Picodrive is.

kratoz29

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Use Picodrive for MegaDrive (Genesis) games on the O3DS, but depending on the game it may still not be full speed.

Genesis Plus GX is slower because its more accurate and isn't optimised for ARM processors like Picodrive is.

Thanks, tomorrow I'll check it out, I was trying to run a Sonic 1, so I don't think there would be big compatibility issues.

I think that would be a "fast emulator"? What other emulators like that do you recommend me for the O3DS? I've seen BlargSnes gets the job done, so I just was wondering what else this machine can do.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've seen some reports here of gpsp being unstable (crashes). How bad exactly is this?
I want to play Minish Cap. But it would be unfortunate if, after many hours of play, I would start to see these crashes.

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
I've seen some reports here of gpsp being unstable (crashes). How bad exactly is this?
I want to play Minish Cap. But it would be unfortunate if, after many hours of play, I would start to see these crashes.
Your best alternative is GBA VC injection. Until gpsp gets stable, at least.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Thanks, tomorrow I'll check it out, I was trying to run a Sonic 1, so I don't think there would be big compatibility issues.

I think that would be a "fast emulator"? What other emulators like that do you recommend me for the O3DS? I've seen BlargSnes gets the job done, so I just was wondering what else this machine can do.
The O3DS is quite weak - weaker than the PSP, so blargSnes and Picodrive are about as advanced as you're going to get.

Off the top of my head, check out QuickNES (NES), Gambatte or GameYob (GameBoy), fMSX (MSX), BreadBox (C64), and MAME 2000 for very basic arcade games.

kratoz29

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The O3DS is quite weak - weaker than the PSP, so blargSnes and Picodrive are about as advanced as you're going to get.

Off the top of my head, check out QuickNES (NES), Gambatte or GameYob (GameBoy), fMSX (MSX), BreadBox (C64), and MAME 2000 for very basic arcade games.

Are those emulators fast or accuracy? So BlargSnes and PicoDrive are the best way for those consoles, well BlargSnes is giving me a black screen at startup, I think a workaround is to launch it through FBI.

I really hope gpsp gets stable soon... These crashes are driving me mad and VC injection isn't really a good alternative :(

Why is not a good option?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SnowStormAkikaze @ SnowStormAkikaze: Hey, about switch. If I want to change micro CD card to bigger size, Do I need to do something ...