Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are shortcut keys for save-states? Didn't realize that, I thought the only option was the menu, so I never noticed there was an issue. To be fair, I'm usually only playing the PlayStation emulator, so I don't think there are any spare buttons for shortcut keys on that one. I'm still using GameYob for my GBC games.

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
wait, so an atari game doesn't run full speed on O3DS, but it runs NES full speed?

AFAIK only QuickNES runs fine on O3DS, Nestopia And Fceumm runs around 35-40 fps. It depends on how accurate the emulated platform performs.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

can you upload a cia version as well

Attachments

• stella_libretro_cia.7z
    784 KB · Views: 124

DominoBright

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, this thread is getting a tad too negative. Development of this port has not been ideal, yes, but the overall tone is probably not giving motivation to the devs either.
I haven't been around until a few weeks ago, but looking at a few pages, it looks like 3DS testing was down to a guy who disappeared and a guy who won't hack his 3DS. I'm not sure if the latter is still true or not, but if it is, we have no testers. This, along with the performance of the latest stable release, is probably why some users here are saying that the 3DS version is not a priority for the Retroarch team.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I haven't been around until a few weeks ago, but looking at a few pages, it looks like 3DS testing was down to a guy who disappeared and a guy who won't hack his 3DS. I'm not sure if the latter is still true or not, but if it is, we have no testers. This, along with the performance of the latest stable release, is probably why some users here are saying that the 3DS version is not a priority for the Retroarch team.
Here's the thing, though: why aren't more developers from the community rallying to save this project? If it was a different time of my life and I wasn't finishing my master's I'd jump in. It can't be that everybody is overloaded. Instead of complaining, everybody interested should try to drive attention to the development of the project.

LunarXDiviner

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering they're against adding basic features that would help improve performance (frameskip), eh..
At least picodrive somehow seems to work miles better than gens+, but is still struggles with 32x.

GammaLyrae

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's the thing, though: why aren't more developers from the community rallying to save this project? If it was a different time of my life and I wasn't finishing my master's I'd jump in. It can't be that everybody is overloaded. Instead of complaining, everybody interested should try to drive attention to the development of the project.

I don't think it should be any of our responsibilities to rally people to the cause.

https://www.patreon.com/libretro

They're being paid a pretty good sum per month by generous backers for the explicit purpose of purchasing hardware and devoting more time to QA for all platforms. It says so right in their patreon.

"$550 – reached!
per month

Multiple times a week Quality Assurance checkins for each RetroArch platform port, stability checkups!"

"$850 – reached!
per month

We can get our developers the occasional hardware equipment and tools they need in order to improve RetroArch and cores!"

If they aren't going to deliver on this, they shouldn't list those as incentives to donate.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Clearly they bit more than they could chew. These emulators should just be forked, so I go back to the question of the community taking it over. Hell, if this drags on long enough, I will take a GBC core to mantain or something.

Reactions: plug313

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hate to burst your bubble.. but these are changes only to fix compilation errors, for the already supported cores.
Nothing new, just made it a bit easier to compile yourself.

Anyway,
Thanks Aliaspider

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Guys, this thread is getting a tad too negative. Development of this port has not been ideal, yes, but the overall tone is probably not giving motivation to the devs either.

it is negative cause they seem to fix things while breaking others that worked very well. though thats not a thing thats new, as users, we've had complaints for over a year when we had weeks of broken releases and were still reverting to a year old version that mostly worked with issues, and we mostly understood that lacking the hardware to test this, there was little to be done about the 3ds version.
then they got the hacked hardware (i'm not sure but I believe it was gifted to them too) and things didn't really get better for another few months.
then the new stable (oh its more of a beta kinda deal) comes with additions that make sense on a ps3 or a high res high performance smartphone that really doesn't make sense on the 3ds version, like all of that empty space in the menues.

i get that the 3ds is only one of the platforms they support and with its limited hardware, requires additional work, or at least some consideration when implementing some things, but come on, they had years to fuss over smartphones and the other consoles.
i agree that keeping it identical over all instances doesn't really work and yes, there should be a fork for low power hardware like psp, 3ds and wii (if thats still in development).

Clearly they bit more than they could chew. These emulators should just be forked, so I go back to the question of the community taking it over. Hell, if this drags on long enough, I will take a GBC core to mantain or something.

for our all sake, take the gba core.
chances are the community isn't really capable of doing this on its own, things have changed since the wii days, developers and coders are rare and getting rarer.
and at least as far as emulation is concerned, the existence of retroarch seems to have pulled away interest from making emulators in general.
because why would someone waste time on writing or porting (or dare i say optimizing) their own thing when there's already retroarch.

I don't think it should be any of our responsibilities to rally people to the cause.

https://www.patreon.com/libretro

They're being paid a pretty good sum per month by generous backers for the explicit purpose of purchasing hardware and devoting more time to QA for all platforms. It says so right in their patreon.

"$550 – reached!
per month

Multiple times a week Quality Assurance checkins for each RetroArch platform port, stability checkups!"

"$850 – reached!
per month

We can get our developers the occasional hardware equipment and tools they need in order to improve RetroArch and cores!"

If they aren't going to deliver on this, they shouldn't list those as incentives to donate.

granted 1000$ sounds like a lot but it really isn't. however, once money is involved, its understandable people start expecting more

Reactions: plug313

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what was the last nightly that had pcsx rearmed? would like to try it out because from what I have seen it runs fairly decent on a N3DS with dynarec its no big deal if it doesn't though because I have a vita for ps1 games

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
what was the last nightly that had pcsx rearmed? would like to try it out because from what I have seen it runs fairly decent on a N3DS with dynarec its no big deal if it doesn't though because I have a vita for ps1 games

Nightly's including PCSX -ReARMed aren't available anymore. Use the 1.3.6 stable version.
Download the .core file i uploaded 2 pages back to get it detected alongside the latest nightly's.

Last edited by MrHuu,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    Veho @ Veho: It inserts a newline in a random spot.