Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

coinblock

Trophies
XP
Country
I've haven't check this thread for a couple of months - are the latet builds still buggy, and we're best using 1.3.3? We're at 1.3.6 now.

Yup. Until Aliaspider returns to fix or remove the screen tearin', broken 3D "feature", or another Retroarch dev gets a CFW 3DS and motivation to fix it, we're boned.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yup. Until Aliaspider returns to fix or remove the screen tearin', broken 3D "feature", o̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶R̶e̶t̶r̶o̶a̶r̶c̶h̶ ̶d̶e̶v̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶C̶F̶W̶ ̶3̶D̶S̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶m̶o̶t̶i̶v̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶f̶i̶x̶ ̶i̶t̶,̶ we're boned.
We are doomed, no other RA dev has one, and if one of them have one, I don't think they're interested in the 3DS ports.
http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3950&page=11&p=43235&viewfull=1#post43235

Last edited by ShadowOne333,
Reactions: aplant92

aplant92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Good ridance.
Not that I disagree with the frustration around Retroarch, but why are there so many people with outright hate for the project? From what I've seen, nothing compares to it in terms of performance, compatibility and features at the current time, so it's not as if there's another alternative?

Just curious!

AtlasFontaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Not that I disagree with the frustration around Retroarch, but why are there so many people with outright hate for the project? From what I've seen, nothing compares to it in terms of performance, compatibility and features at the current time, so it's not as if there's another alternative?

Just curious!

Not that I hate it, its just that this hasn't received any significant attention from the devs for a long time that it gets tiring when people report issues that haven't been fixed.

Last edited by AtlasFontaine,
Reactions: aplant92

pdapanda

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
When a developer refuse to communicate with the users, he will produce a lot of bugs,especially when he doesn't have a proper 3ds for development.

coinblock

Trophies
XP
Country
Good ridance.

The 3DS scene definitely feels emptier without proper updates to their 3DS emulators, most of which worked very well in 1.3.3.
It's sad that there seems to be no one skilled enough willing or able to step up and fix the few big issues that remain (gPSP dynarec, 3D screen tearing).

N64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS scene definitely feels emptier without proper updates to their 3DS emulators, most of which worked very well in 1.3.3.
It's sad that there seems to be no one skilled enough willing or able to step up and fix the few big issues that remain (gPSP dynarec, 3D screen tearing).

can you blame them? look at how toxic the individuals benefitting from the scene are

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, I never understood the anger and entitlement the odd person in this community would express about bug fixing issues and the negative impact this could have on further development.

Looking at the excitement being currently generated by people installing homebrew on their Vitas totally takes me back to when someone first told me that these dudes called Libretro are doing something amazing that would forever change the relationship I have with my favourite console.

Radius4

Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
Not that I hate it, its just that this hasn't received any significant attention from the devs for a long time that it gets tiring when people report issues that haven't been fixed.
When a developer refuse to communicate with the users, he will produce a lot of bugs,especially when he doesn't have a proper 3ds for development.

Wow....
Yeah you are tired (AtlasFontaine) and we have refused to communicate (pdapanda).
Sorry to bother you guys with our dedication and spare time.

Reactions: N64

Feffe

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Radius (& everyone involved with Retroarch 3DS), if you don't mind my opinion...
First of all I'm VERY GRATEFUL Retroarch for 3DS exists. I bought a New 3DS just to use it as a retro after reading a couple of threads on NeoGAF praising Retroarch and yes, it's a very, very good emulator. I can play flawlessly lots of GB, GBA, SNES, MD, PCE games and surely that's not a small achievement: that's something AMAZING you have to be proud of (if you are a developer) and grateful for (if you are an user).
However, when you have something very very good you wish it were perfect and you begins to notice its (often minor) flaws. In the past few months lots of people have talked about gpsp random crashing, for example (I myself have made a thread about it here: http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5877), which is probably the most major issue of the port. Some user even tried to investigate and find themselves why that's problem happens in the first place. However, I don't remember a single time (untill very recently) a developer has adressed the issue or even said they were aware of it. So, from an user point of view, it might look like the devs simple don't really care about the port. Which is false, obviously, but the total lack of communication helped shaped this opinion. Which, that's also quite obvious, doesn't mean we (the users) are entitled to receive constant updates. And yes, surely AtlasFontaine and pdapanda should have expressed their discontent in a more polite, non-aggressive manner.

AtlasFontaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Wow....
Yeah you are tired (AtlasFontaine) and we have refused to communicate (pdapanda).
Sorry to bother you guys with our dedication and spare time.

I'm not saying that I'm specifically tired about you or the developers, I'm tired about the people that still ask/demand that things like the Vsync should be fixed when this isn't getting attention.

Neither I'm demanding you to hack your 3ds to maintain this project.

Last edited by AtlasFontaine,

pdapanda

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I don't care if you stop working on the emulators or not, thats your right,of course. But your good job won't change the fact you are pushing buggy and unusable nightlies&stable version everyday. this will just make users more and more confused that they don't know how to use it.

Radius4

Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
It's quite simple, there is one dev, he is twinaphex. Besides him there are other people that do stuff on the side like me, small features and stuff like that.
Besides @twinaphex @aliaspider @toadking and @frangarj noone has really the skillset to mess with the drivers to fix the tearing issue. And of those only one has a 3DS.

And gPSP, that's an ancient emulator by exophase that just happens to work well on 3ds. But debugging a dynarec is not really easy, and even less on a console without the appropiate tools.

@pdapanda I'm not pushing anything. The buildbot does.
Does Cyanogenmod push full tested QA builds of their OS everyday? no
Are linux PPAs like that too? no

The nightlies are there so we know if stuff is building or not. You are free to use them of course but it doesn't mean anything else.

Columbo2811

Trophies
XP
Country
Even if this was perfect emulation with every core running like it was playing native on its own console these guys would still find something to moan about or they would ask for ridiculous features to be added. I personally think retroarch on my 3ds is excellent and I enjoy playing the emulators more than 3ds games cause I love the retro stuff. Runs great guys the builds I run @Radius4 and the rest of the retroarch team thanks for your dedication.:yay3ds:

Reactions: Radius4

Radius4

Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
Yeah that kind of stuff happens every day on our forum.
Some guy just asked for us to make an override command line switch that overrides other overrides and works on content load instead of overriding at launch time like append config does.

I spent literally 10 minutes trying to understand.

abelxcane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if you are aware but you need the parent rom for what ever arcade game you are trying to run. For instance to play Marvel Super Heroes (USA 951024) you need the parent rom with that being Marvel Super Heroes (Euro 951024). To sum up you (1) get the rom you want (2) get the parent rom (3) drop both roms into the rom folder (leave them as .zip and don't change the names). Also I don't think I can give links to websites with roms on gbatemp but i assume if you look for roms a certain big rom website will tell you what parent rom you need. If you need anymore help, I will try to be of some use if I can. Sorry to add on but I assume you have the BIOS for stuff like neo geo set up.

Last edited by abelxcane,

Alef Wright

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't know if you are aware but you need the parent rom for what ever arcade game you are trying to run. For instance to play Marvel Super Heroes (USA 951024) you need the parent rom with that being Marvel Super Heroes (Euro 951024). To sum up you (1) get the rom you want (2) get the parent rom (3) drop both roms into the rom folder (leave them as .zip and don't change the names). Also I don't think I can give links to websites with roms on gbatemp but i assume if you look for roms a certain big rom website will tell you what parent rom you need. If you need anymore help, I will try to be of some use if I can. Sorry to add on but I assume you have the BIOS for stuff like neo geo set up.
OH! REALLY THANKS THAT WORKED!! WHEN YOU'RE NEXT TO DIE PLEASE TAKE MY HEART N' SOUL, but i really need to put the parent and the rom at a zip folder?

Last edited by Alef Wright,

abelxcane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OH! REALLY THANKS THAT WORKED!! WHEN YOU'RE NEXT TO DIE PLEASE TAKE MY HEART N' SOUL, but i really need to put the parent and the rom at a zip folder?
Both the parent rom and the rom need to be put in the rom folder as 2 .zip files with the names that you downloaded them with in tact. I have tried a lot of games with just the parent rom in the folder and they work fine but for other games like Marvel VS. Capcom Clash of Super Heroes I needed both the parent rom and another version. So in short the parent rom can be in a folder alone but if the rom is not the parent rom, than both files must be in the same folder. So if a game is not working with just the parent rom try other versions along with the parent rom.

Last edited by abelxcane,
Reactions: Alef Wright

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto