Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read through this and am still confused on how to get my old 3ds xl to run PS1 games on retroarch. I downloaded the .3dsx files from here http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/nintendo/3ds/ , then I ran it on my homebrewed 3ds and can see all the cores (pcsx rearmed, pocket snes,catsfc libretro,...). I then run the pcsx rearmed and the bottom screen has a bunch of stuff, one of which is labled [WARN], it says" "libretro_path" is a directory, using this for "libretro_directory" instead ". The top screen shows a menu giving me the following options: Start Core, Load Content Load Recent Settings, Information, Restart RetroArch, Load Configuration, Save Current Config, Save New Config, Help, Quit RetroArch. Nothing happens when I select Start Core. Retroarch freezes when I select Load Content. I have some PS1 roms in the .bin format. I've tried lots of things, and nothing has worked for me. I really want to be able to play my PS1 games on the old 3ds xl, but nothing is working. Can anyone please help me?
Don't bother with ps1 on a o3ds/xl. It is waay too slow to do anything on it.

Kourin

Touhou Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I guess I'll ask here because their forum still hasn't activated my account.
Is it at all possible to get the music on Rayman 1 for PS1 to play? The game runs like a dream on N3DS with the SFX but the music doesn't play.
I recall there was a fix for ePSXe which involved mounting the game as an ISO then using the CD player plugin but obviously that doesn't apply to the 3DS.

Reactions: SLiV3R

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I read through this and am still confused on how to get my old 3ds xl to run PS1 games on retroarch. I downloaded the .3dsx files from here http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/nintendo/3ds/ , then I ran it on my homebrewed 3ds and can see all the cores (pcsx rearmed, pocket snes,catsfc libretro,...). I then run the pcsx rearmed and the bottom screen has a bunch of stuff, one of which is labled [WARN], it says" "libretro_path" is a directory, using this for "libretro_directory" instead ". The top screen shows a menu giving me the following options: Start Core, Load Content Load Recent Settings, Information, Restart RetroArch, Load Configuration, Save Current Config, Save New Config, Help, Quit RetroArch. Nothing happens when I select Start Core. Retroarch freezes when I select Load Content. I have some PS1 roms in the .bin format. I've tried lots of things, and nothing has worked for me. I really want to be able to play my PS1 games on the old 3ds xl, but nothing is working. Can anyone please help me?
The issue is probably that you don't have the bios file. You need a specific PS1 bios file, correctly named and in the correct directory.

But I wouldn't bother on an Old 3DS because it won't be playable. You need a New 3DS with dynarec capability (i.e. SysNAND 9.2 or below) to maybe play some games at somewhat playable speeds.

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
I guess I'll ask here because their forum still hasn't activated my account.
Is it at all possible to get the music on Rayman 1 for PS1 to play? The game runs like a dream on N3DS with the SFX but the music doesn't play.
I recall there was a fix for ePSXe which involved mounting the game as an ISO then using the CD player plugin but obviously that doesn't apply to the 3DS.

Yeah, an music fix for Rayman 1 would make it perfect! :)

snejk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hello there,

Does the Picodrive 3ds supports the 32x roms? I have all the bios files placed but the games won't launch. Moreover is it "normal" that the whole 3ds may freeze when switching the regular genesis roms in picodrive? This happens to me quite often.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hello there,

Does the Picodrive 3ds supports the 32x roms? I have all the bios files placed but the games won't launch. Moreover is it "normal" that the whole 3ds may freeze when switching the regular genesis roms in picodrive? This happens to me quite often.
Picodrive does support 32X roms and shouldn't need the bios files.

Are you using an Old or New 3DS? What firmware version? Picodrive's 32X support uses dynarec so really requires a New3DS with firmware 9.2 or below to be playable. Even then, most of the 3D games run too slow to be playable.

snejk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I use an Old3ds with the most recent firmware i guess. Please advice. How about that random chrashes?

Last edited by snejk,

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
My advice is to not bother - 32X roms are not going to be playable on an Old 3DS with the latest firmware.

As for the crashes, this is a known issue that keeps cropping up with some cores. I think the way to 'fix' it is not not use zipped roms, or reload Picodrive when you switch rom.

juniorcba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Until 0502 was all fine.
0602 e 0702 nightlies builds are crashing when you try to open content (select rom).
0802 nightly is corrupted. Anybody tried 0902? I soon will.

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
20160209_203848.jpg
20160209_203654.jpg

I noticed another, very important and ergent issue. In FCEUMM3DS when using 15:14 (1:1 PAR) the emulator doesn't show everything. There are around 10 pixels at the left side and around 10 pixels at the right side that are not available. The whole Link and the whole Mario should be visible. I don't think FCEUMM3DS has the correct nes resolution: 256x224. FCEUMM3DS is more like a square, my guess is that it has something like 236x224. Would this be possible to get corrected?

Edit : In PocketSNES the resolution seems to be correct, 256x224... That's really strange imo. PocketSNES has 8:7 (1:1 PAR)

Last edited by SLiV3R,

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The .3ds "rom" versions have the same permissions and performance as CIA builds, so no, you're not missing out on anything, aside from space savings. The .3ds rom versions will always be a lot larger as long as Gateway requires homebrew to be encrypted (encrypted data isn't very easily compressible, and homebrew CIAs aren't encrypted typically, but are usually compressed to save space).

Thanks. I appreciate the reply! I don't mind a 100mb file or so since most old roms are tiny by comparison. As long as they load and run as speedy as possible, then I can deal with the extra file space taken.

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed another, very important and ergent issue. In FCEUMM3DS when using 15:14 (1:1 PAR) the emulator doesn't show everything. There are around 10 pixels at the left side and around 10 pixels at the right side that are not available. The whole Link and the whole Mario should be visible. I don't think FCEUMM3DS has the correct nes resolution: 256x224. FCEUMM3DS is more like a square, my guess is that it has something like 236x224. Would this be possible to get corrected?

Edit : In PocketSNES the resolution seems to be correct, 256x224... That's really strange imo. PocketSNES has 8:7 (1:1 PAR)

Just wondering: do you have Crop Overscan set to "On?" I have it set to "Off" and I'm not getting the cropping issue as a result.

wii121

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using the 2016-2-07 nightly .cia versions on a n3dsxl.
I can't save controller config in quickNES, is there a way to do so or force it to load an alternate one as default?
I also tried the nightly for .cia versions of nestopia and mgba and they crash when I select load content. Is there a version that is known to be working?

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
is anyone else experiencing random crashes when using the cia version of gpsp retroarch? I'm on emunand 10.50 n3ds

tried updating to the latest nightly and now it crashes as soon as I go to load content.
The last nightly that works are 0702.

Pip'

Reactions: theinternetnomad

hellionz

Trophies
XP
Country
is anyone else experiencing random crashes when using the cia version of gpsp retroarch? I'm on emunand 10.50 n3ds

tried updating to the latest nightly and now it crashes as soon as I go to load content.

the CIA versions of GPSP crash much more times than 3dsx versions (crash too , but less) and as said the mate , the last stable version is 07/02.

im waiting for months a stable CIA version for GPSP...meanwhile in using GBA inyection for non-Fire emblem games ....in fire emblem i need Real time save ;)

greetings

Last edited by hellionz,
Reactions: theinternetnomad

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • sombrerosonic @ sombrerosonic:
    Unity is a asshole and I want to set it on fire
    +1
    and C++
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @sombrerosonic, "Unity to die. Coding is a fuck."
    Rez how else am I suppose to make my horny AI who wants people to love it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Real women are better, AI isn't worth the trouble.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Mine would be easy. All it has to do is bob it's head :D:evil::blush:
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Psi can make an AI babe lol.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I knew I should've bought the 50ft ethernet cord over the 25 lesson learned size matters
    +2
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    vffvb gferwbgereg
    :O [☎️ Bunjolio's mother that he's swearing]
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    she*
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fuck
    +1
  • J @ Just_Ragnar:
    What are mlc.bin files and are they important or can i delete them off my wii u sd card
    My apologies there little Miss @Bunjolio :mellow::blush::)
    Butt I'm still telling her :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Never gonna give you upNever gonna let you downNever gonna run around and desert youNever gonna make you cryNever gonna say goodbyeNever gonna tell a lie and hurt you
    I don't recognise the song. Which one is it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sigma
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Sometimes people make mistakes, if you correct them then they'll remember.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Try not to easily get offended if somebody calls you by different pronouns by mistake.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What I can't just call someone a dick or a vagina
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: What I can't just call someone a dick or a vagina