Retro Review #6

D

Deleted User

Hadrian said:
Takeshi said:
Nice reviews guys. Unfortunately I could'nt read them all because when I came back today to read the rest, the OP was totally messed up. Is this just me/my computer?! Also, the Afterlife pictures are way too big, I have to scroll sideways to see all the text.
It happens with threads that have thumbnailed posts, I save every thread on my PC so I can just copy and paste it when it does bork up.

Fixed now.
Thanks! I'll finish reading the reviews later then. I really love those retro review threads, in fact, my favourite gaming magazine is 'Retro Gamer' (UK) atm.

roguetrip

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
these retro reviews great, I was just watching Screw attacks review on batman (I think top 10 movie games) and had about the same review of it being great. I actually owned Batman on the NES but never beat it cause at the time I sucked. I think I may put it on my DS and give it another shot.

I've been going and picking up some older games and systems. I bought another N64 (after my 1st one got stolen) and waiting on conkers bad fur day to show up. Also just bought Super Metroid and a SNES from ebay to play. Already planing on looking for Batman Returns, KI, Maximum Carnage, Separation Anxiety, X-men Mutant Apocalypse, Super Mario World, Super Mario All Stars.

The SNES will be good, its coming with a Super Gameboy, so after all these years of owning Metroid II on my original gameboy and never playing it I can go ahead and beat it! I got to the last metroid on lameboy (DS emulator) but it messes up and can't beat it!

As for emulation, sometimes its not as good, sometimes could be better, the good can be like Metroid II color hack, Super Metroid redisign and such. Also gotta like savestates cause of time and being able to drop the game and go!

keep up the good work!

jesuschristmonke

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
Only people who suck at videogames need savestates
smileipb2.png

I see someone has never written down three dozen Punch Out passwords on every free space in a NES game manual.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
jesuschristmonkeyballs said:
Law said:
Only people who suck at videogames need savestates
smileipb2.png

I see someone has never written down three dozen Punch Out passwords on every free space in a NES game manual.

I never played Punch out
smileipb2.png

Had a notebook full of Megaman passwords though.

jesuschristmonke

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Law said:

So if you were to play Megaman now on an emu, you would dutifully record the same logs every time you made progress? Even when a convenient keystroke would do it for you?

No. No, you wouldn't.

Unless, maybe someone was watching.
unsure.gif

Law

Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Law said:

So if you were to play Megaman now on an emu, you would dutifully record the same logs every time you made progress? Even when a convenient keystroke would do it for you?

No. No, you wouldn't.

Unless, maybe someone was watching.
unsure.gif

If I were to play it now, I probably wouldn't go through the whole game. I'd probably just boot it up and go through a stage with the megabuster. Then turn it off and go play a newer game.

jesuschristmonke

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
If I were to play it now, I probably wouldn't go through the whole game. I'd probably just boot it up and go through a stage with the megabuster. Then turn it off and go play a newer game.

Right. But I'm just trying to get you to acknowledge that there are non-cheating uses for save states in eumlation and in return I will confirm your original contention that, yes I am indeed a sucky gamer. Very much so.

And I chew on lead-painted window sills.

Law

Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Law said:

Right. But I'm just trying to get you to acknowledge that there are non-cheating uses for save states in eumlation and in return I will confirm your original contention that, yes I am indeed a sucky gamer. Very much so.

Who doesn't chew on lead-painted window sills these days?

Saving inbetween stages is fine, but the majority of people who claim to do just that actually have few qualms about load state/save state constantly in game, not saying that you do that, but the majority of people who claim they don't cheat with save states, do. That's probably the main thing that gets me with the whole "omg savestates make emulatorz bettar than actooal machinez!1!1", because they really don't when the majority of people use them to cheat out the ass. Hell I've seen people playing goddamn SNES games and doing save state load state in the middle of Super Mario World, and then telling me they aren't cheating.

If you're playing a game a way the developers didn't intend, I see it as cheating. But I will agree that some NES passwords were unnecessarily long.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Takeshi said:
Thanks! I'll finish reading the reviews later then. I really love those retro review threads, in fact, my favourite gaming magazine is 'Retro Gamer' (UK) atm.
That's the only magazine I read. Modern mags cost too much nowadays and all the info they provide are either old news or the info they do have that is exclusive is leaked before they are in the shops anyway.

This months Metroid special is great.

Cablephish

Show me...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Law said:
Law said:

Who doesn't chew on lead-painted window sills these days?

Saving inbetween stages is fine, but the majority of people who claim to do just that actually have few qualms about load state/save state constantly in game, not saying that you do that, but the majority of people who claim they don't cheat with save states, do. That's probably the main thing that gets me with the whole "omg savestates make emulatorz bettar than actooal machinez!1!1", because they really don't when the majority of people use them to cheat out the ass. Hell I've seen people playing goddamn SNES games and doing save state load state in the middle of Super Mario World, and then telling me they aren't cheating.

If you're playing a game a way the developers didn't intend, I see it as cheating. But I will agree that some NES passwords were unnecessarily long.
Speaking of saving between levels, there was one person in my tech class, who every once in a while would play Kirby and the Amazing Mirror. And there was this one mini game where you had to throw a bomb around, and what he would do is save state every time he tossed the bomb. I wanted to punch him in the face now that I think about it.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
roguetrip said:
these retro reviews great, I was just watching Screw attacks review on batman (I think top 10 movie games) and had about the same review of it being great. I actually owned Batman on the NES but never beat it cause at the time I sucked. I think I may put it on my DS and give it another shot.

Oh trust me, its not that you sucked man. This game is hard as nails to beat. Even though its a fantastic game the difficulty is incredibly high, I have never beaten it myself, even though I have gotten pretty far into it.

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
p1ngpong said:
roguetrip said:

Oh trust me, its not that you sucked man. This game is hard as nails to beat. Even though its a fantastic game the difficulty is incredibly high, I have never beaten it myself, even though I have gotten pretty far into it.
I've only beaten it playing as a Predator.

I may be tempted to cheat and just keep adding credits just so I can see the endings.

p1ngpong

Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Hadrian said:
p1ngpong said:
roguetrip said:

I've only beaten it playing as a Predator.

I may be tempted to cheat and just keep adding credits just so I can see the endings.

lol Hadrian, we are talking about Batman on the NES. AVP is easy to beat, only takes an hour. And being an old school scrolling arcade beat em up, you have to pump a few credits in to see the end of it.

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
p1ngpong said:
lol Hadrian, we are talking about Batman on the NES. AVP is easy to beat, only takes an hour. And being an old school scrolling arcade beat em up, you have to pump a few credits in to see the end of it.
Batman NES isn't that hard, finished it many times.
tongue.gif

I always have to limit with myself credits with arcade games, I usually only have two. Its sort of a thing I have.

p1ngpong

Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Hadrian said:
p1ngpong said:
Batman NES isn't that hard, finished it many times.
tongue.gif

I always have to limit with myself credits with arcade games, I usually only have two. Its sort of a thing I have.

You are the awesome!
smileipb2.png

agentgamma

I dont know what to put here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
CockroachMan said:
I hate when people say they don't need a DS cause the emulator already runs everything.. that's incredibly stupid!
Try doing the Hotel Dusk 'close the DS' puzzle on NO$GBA. Oh wait.. the game is unplayable when you have to walk around.
Or try playing Ouendan in NO$GBA. A horrible experience.

What annoys me even more is the PSP emulator fanboys.
They always like to make the argument that PSP > DS because PSP can emulate DS.
I know from experience that DS emulation on the PSP is a nightmare.
The controls are terrible and the game is laggy as hell.

knl

I can change this?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
CockroachMan said:
I agree with you Mr. TrolleyDave, emulator will never be able to replicate the feeling of the original system, in special, I hate when people say they don't need a DS cause the emulator already runs everything.. that's incredibly stupid!

one defining factor of the DS in its success with me is the portability; it has saved me from many a boring trip or afternoon, when I couldn't use the internet/my PC at all. ehe

also, that game you reviewed, AfterLife, I had played a demo of it (there was only hell) and it was sad because I didn't really know what to do/the four horseman of apocalypse would come in a short time to rampage whatever I had done
frown.gif

I always wanted to find that game somewhere and play it more seriously; reading your review makes me realize maybe it's not so easy! ehe

and Outlaws, haha, I also played the demo of that one and I remember the fuckweird secrets it had >_>

Is it anyone who can write a review for an old game? I have a sort of an idea...

highanimalhouse

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although I agree that emulation doesn't replace actual consoles, it's rather difficult to find actual consoles and to find them to be working nowadays. You just can't go into Wal-Mart, Gamestop, Best Buy, etc. and find a SNES or Amiga for sale. I personally think they need to start selling them again (like an 'official retro model' for enthusiasts) because it's safe to say that if you have emulators, you would buy the system. Those who swear emulators are 'better' need to realize what they are using.

Eventually, the games won't load on the system....emulators don't replace the original feeling of playing Super Mario World on your TV with the SNES controller.

Maybe I'm underestimating the longevity of game carts and consoles. I mean, Atari 2600's still work to this day if they are kept in pristine condition.

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
knl said:
who can write a review for an old game? I have a sort of an idea...
Go ahead and send it me. I'm pretty much open to anyone.

QUOTE(highanimalhouse @ Jun 28 2009, 03:28 AM) Maybe I'm underestimating the longevity of game carts and consoles. I mean, Atari 2600's still work to this day if they are kept in pristine condition.
Its sometimes hard to play games on my NES as some carts are a bastard to load, mainly due to the way you have to put the carts in. I hear the Japanese version (Famicom) doesn't have that sort of problem due to its better design. SEGA consoles though I've not had a problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4