Retro Fighters Game Controllers

retro_fighters_8bit_NES_controller-GBAtemp.jpg

Classic gaming on our retro hardware is more than just fun, it's nostalgic. Thanks to the recent influx of retro Flash Kits, we can now experience more than just commercial releases when we sit down to enjoy an intense retro gaming session. After hours of testing hacks, homebrews, and translations, the comfort of old controllers may come into question.

Retro Fighters is seeking to alleviate the pain our thumbs must endure with new controllers for classic systems. The first up will not only be USB (PC/MAC) compatible, but will also support the NES out-of-the-box. The controller will feature a soft rubberized grip, a modern d-pad, analog sticks, turbo buttons, and shoulder buttons which will be mapped to the A and B buttons. Please note that the current renderings show a mini-USB plug, the finalized production model will feature regular USB and not mini-USB.

There is a whole lot of alternative here to the current influx of cheap knock-off controllers floating among the sea of quality replacements. Like most projects, this concept has come to Kickstarter to seek its funding. The controller buy-in tier is currently at $30. Future plans include SNES, GEN, and N64 releases. For more information, please visit the campaign via the link below.

:arrow: Retro Fighters 8-bit Video Game Controller

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
please, just stop. please? must you derail this further? what is this accomplishing? you feel better? you can sleep now because you argued that you are correct? that using PSX is improper? the world should stop now and bow to your unabridged dictionary?

the playstation was originally billed as the psx. the name stuck in japan (a little) and they released a hybrid console using the name. in the US we all called it the psx on launch day. you're wrong because you don't know all of the facts. you clearly didn't live here and i'm guessing aren't old enough to have recalled launch day in the US?

this entire argument is just ridiculous. you'll never be correct because i already proved you invalid.

-another world

Reactions: Foxi4

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
I've personally just called it the -playstation at the time. And after the PS2, I just called it the...PS1?

The PSX sounds silly.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
@Another World's point is that the usage of the name "PSX" pre-dates the release of the hybrid console, therefore cannot be considered incorrect. It may not be official, but it is habitual - people got used to the term and it's still in use today. Hell, there are even PlayStation-dedicated magazines still using that name, like PSX Extreme in Poland. The "PSX" shorthand was immortalized even in the names of emulators like ePSXe, PCSX and more. The hybrid exists and uses the PSX name, but came after the term "PSX" was in common use. Now can we drop the subject and talk about the controller? This is all entirely off-topic.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
@Another World's point is that the usage of the name "PSX" pre-dates the release of the hybrid console, therefore cannot be considered incorrect. It may not be official, but it is habitual - people got used to the term and it's still in use today. Hell, there are even PlayStation-dedicated magazines still using that name, like PSX Extreme in Poland. The "PSX" shorthand was immortalized even in the names of emulators like ePSXe, PCSX and more. The hybrid exists and uses the PSX name, but came after the term "PSX" was in common use. Now can we drop the subject and talk about the controller? This is all entirely off-topic.

True enough. I just think that the controller is pretty redundant as anyone who owns an NES and a PC probably has an adapter and/or a decent gaming controller. Also, if you're an NES collector nowadays, you probably have multiple decent NES controllers like the dogbone, NES advantage and Super Max.

Just my opinion though.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
please, just stop. please? must you derail this further? what is this accomplishing? you feel better? you can sleep now because you argued that you are correct? that using PSX is improper? the world should stop now and bow to your unabridged dictionary?

the playstation was originally billed as the psx. the name stuck in japan (a little) and they released a hybrid console using the name. in the US we all called it the psx on launch day. you're wrong because you don't know all of the facts. you clearly didn't live here and i'm guessing aren't old enough to have recalled launch day in the US?

this entire argument is just ridiculous. you'll never be correct because i already proved you invalid.

-another world
Here in Europe it was always called the PlayStation and when the PS2 came along it was known as the PS1. So, yeah. That's that.

I'm wrong as the facts have been shown and just get over it.

DaFixer

Dare to be stupid
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just 9 seconds on wiki I learned this

"PS-X (PlayStation Experimental) was an internal code name for the PlayStation during development.[10]The popular use of the "PSX" abbreviation outside Sony became a source of confusion when Sony introduced itsPSXdigital video recorder in 2003."

So that is your proof, so you get over it.
I was 15 year old when the Playstation (PSX in short) come out, back then we called PSX.

Now for me is time to drink some beer, becase it is for me weekend ;)

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Just 9 seconds on wiki I learned this

"PS-X (PlayStation Experimental) was an internal code name for the PlayStation during development.[10]The popular use of the "PSX" abbreviation outside Sony became a source of confusion when Sony introduced itsPSXdigital video recorder in 2003."

So that is your proof, so you get over it.
I was 15 year old when the Playstation (PSX in short) come out, back then we called PSX.

Now for me is time to drink some beer, becase it is for me weekend ;)
Because Wikipedia is a reliable source that no one can edit and write what they want.

If we were going by their Beta/Codenames we'd still be calling GC as the 'Dolphin', Wii as the 'Revolution' and Wii U 'Project Café' come on now, just get with the times, guys. This much shouldn't be hard to grasp at since it's basic knowledge.

Anyway, just get back to the topic's article despite that it's pointless controller.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Jesus Christ @WiiCube_2013, we often agree on many things, but here you're in the wrong and we should all just quit it already before I kindly ask the moderation team to purge this thread with fire, and we're not the ones who'll get burned. PSX is an accepted coloquial term in Europe and the U.S. alike, nobody was bothered by the PSX in PS1 times because it didn't exist and the promotional material for the system sometimes included the PSX name in the early days so it stuck - I know that because I witnessed it myself, along with other users from VASTLY different locations, so it's verifiably true and that's it. Talk about the retro controller or don't talk at all, this is a difference of opinion on nomenclature, not a debate based on factual information.

Reactions: codezer0

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know where people got the idea to call the Original PlayStation / PS1 as "PSX" which is an actual console of its own. It just bugs me that they misuse the term so much.
Retailers used PSX as the code to identify SKU'd items meant for a PS1. Nobody knew at the time that Sony was going to just keep using the PlayStation monicker for its following systems. Chances are if you ever went to a gamestop and brought home a copy of a PS1 game back then, it had that notched on the UPC somewhere. That's why everyone outside of Japan remembers it that way.

Now, where are my dealwithit.gif glasses? :p1ng:

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Turbo buttons are cheating. :P
Weird tho that the regular buttons are on top isn't that harder to reach? Well I guess it's meant to line up with the dpad so the top section of the controller resembles an nes controller aesthetically. But I'm not sure that's ideal without trying the controller.

Also, I have no idea why wired controllers still exist.
Lmao that the kickstarter shows off a dual cable. Like its a feature. "Have two cables so one dangles out randomly from your computer/system!" "Also, wires! yay!"
Why not have a USB cable only and have the nes part as an adapter that you plug into the end of the cable.

edit: maybe the start/select buttons could be bigger, or replace the turbo buttons. Apparently a few nes games use the select button like a third button. (Punch Out, Kirby)

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Would be good if they had a less generic description of the controller.. ..with some info of the internal parts, or at least images..

From what I searched, I couldn't find any info about the construction of the controller (if it's a Nintendo-style D-pad on its construction, not just in the looks, and if the buttons are all based on rubber sheets, even the shoulder buttons... and if the 4 shoulder buttons are digital ?)

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanna see a Sega Saturn style game pad with analogs and such.
Not a lot of choices with gameapds for Sega Saturn either.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @light27, i wanted a Wii u as a kid when i watched a Mario kart 8 commercial on tv
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I had a Wii-U it sucked lol
    Even hacked it sucked lol
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    nah the Wii U wasn't bad
    +1
    the hardware is good
    The controller sucked
    it has good games, just not enough of them
    +2
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    the indie games on wii u were amazing though
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    and also some of nintendo's first party games
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    some of the best selling games on the switch are wii u ports (that are priced way too high
    like come on 60 for a game thats a decade old??)
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @ColdBlitz, i forgot breath of the wild released for the Wii u
    $60 for a game that's a decade old might be unheard of on PC but actually is not uncommon on consoles
    +1
    especially Nintendo because they only ever lower the price of games when they do a greatest hits/platinum hits/players choice re-release
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @The Real Jdbye, and the HD collections released for 7th gen consoles too
    but they don't seem to have done any of those for the switch yet and maybe never will
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    I think we all forgot breath of the wild released for the wii u tbh
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @The Real Jdbye, tbh the HD collections are more justified since they include more than just 1 game per copy
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ I read that non-binary people identify as a blend of male and female. The point is i think i'm a blend of those and thus non binary
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Non-binary people are those who don't identify themselves exclusively as male or female.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    I don't identify as anything, unless I need to get on a plane then I show ID
    +3
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    👈 [homo, queer, fag, coksuker, etc......]
    +3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I meant that I read that they can also identify as what i mentioned
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I identify as Long Rod Johnson, cause a cat called me that once.
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    [takes a 👀 in your pants] Liar :angry:
    +1
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [takes a 👀 in your pants] Liar :angry: +1