Retail Xbox One Units Becoming Dev Units This Summer

DarkWrath669

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Have you even heard of "Open Source"?

Unless I am misinterpreting you in some way, I don't think that means what you think it means...

Open Source would be code that is available to anyone to edit or compile as they wish.
Elmoemo seems to be suggesting that running unsigned code, even in a userland environment, is still easily capable of opening a lot of back doors eventually.
I don't see the relevance?

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im sure Microsoft will have safety measures in place to prevent backup loading, tampering with the flash etc, but despite all that this is pretty badass.

Literally anybody with an Xbox One can write homebrew and run it. Can you afford a One? Then you also have a devkit WIN! No hacking or warranty voiding required :).

Thats just plain awesome, even with restrictions...

Reactions: Margen67 and Idaho

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Ok, Microsoft has a past as a asshole corporation, and all that stuff, but nowadays, they allow us to buy games from any store, no matters what is your region. They allow us to rend, lend, sell and buy used games, they allow us to use ANY external HDD as memory expansion, they allow us to use any USB keyboard...

Anyway, they changed their for many relevant aspects. That's why I believe that something good will come out of this dev kit stuff... and dont forget about Windows 10 streaming (yup, emulators are coming to xbox one, from one way or another)

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ok, Microsoft has a past as a asshole corporation, and all that stuff, but nowadays, they allow us to buy games from any store, no matters what is your region. They allow us to rend, lend, sell and buy used games, they allow us to use ANY external HDD as memory expansion, they allow us to use any USB keyboard...

Anyway, they changed their for many relevant aspects. That's why I believe that something good will come out of this dev kit stuff... and dont forget about Windows 10 streaming (yup, emulators are coming to xbox one, from one way or another)

Being a computer tech I always loved Windows and Microsoft's solutions, if you're on the other side and you only matter about your PC, they might have looked like assholes but really they've always been a great company...

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emulators here we come? Even if microsoft doesn't approve them will we be able to share the source n compile them our selves? Or will microsoft provent them from running on some one elses dev mode. I imagine they will have each dev mode have an unique invisble key to stop this.

Reactions: Margen67

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emulators here we come? Even if microsoft doesn't approve them will we be able to share the source n compile them our selves? Or will microsoft provent them from running on some one elses dev mode. I imagine they will have each dev mode have an unique invisble key to stop this.
Idk, i mean if they want to create a healthy official homebrew community, theyre going to have to allow you to run code made by others. What would be the point of making homebrew apps/games if you cant share them?

As for preventing backup loaders and emulators from being developef (officially ;)) i imagine that the development environment and runtime environment for homebrew will be sandboxed to limit access the a good chunk of the hardware. Limited resources= your not going to be able to make emulators (of any consoles from the last few gens anyways) and no way to make a backup loader without hacking to get outside of said sandbox.

Of course im just speculating, but logically it seems like something microsoft would do to keep other companies lawyers off their backs (even though emulation itself is completely legal, most people use them for stuff they technically aren't supposed to ;)).

Backup loaders are self explanatory XD.

I know what my tax refunds going towards, an Xbox One and a brand new Wii U lmao

Reactions: Margen67

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish that they(ALL of them Sony/Nintendo/M$) would've done this with their prior and in Sony & M$ cases in particular their ppc based consoles.

To me, the xbone(god that kills me) and ps4 are pretty much meh, as any low end PC with a dGPU trashes them. I understand more now why Nintendo opted to NOT shoot skyhigh with the wii u and instead give it passable perf & gfx and spend more time on console style games, which is exactly what I look for in consoles, not consolejacking PC games.

OTOH I still bought an n3ds even though the smartphone that I had several years ago thrashes it, but didn't have the games. Phones still really don't have many interesting games and are mostly packed to the gills with crappy casual games, but still I can't help but wonder if the days of both portable consoles and not quite portable consoles are numbered.

So I'm looking at this as too little, too late for M$(and Sony as well if they join in*), OTOH IF Nintendo were to do this, I think that it might help them some.

Now what I really want to know is when the steamboxen will be appearing. Those should kill off the not-quite portable consoles for good. Nintendo MIGHT be able to survive with Wii XYZ but I'd hazard that they'd have to keep focusing on their own franchises and purely console style and more console suited type of games as they pretty much have been doing. Sony and M$ OTOH are too intent on consolejacking every single promising PC game that appears, usually ruining them in the process.

* Sony kinda sorta did this with the psx in the form of the net yaroze, but it wasn't a full dev capable system IIRC, and it was freaking expensive.

FusionGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I for one, am excited to create and run personal projects I have in mind. (Creating my house in Unreal Engine, for example and walking around it on a Xbox One).

Not to mention that Super Mario 64 fan remake, where the team is thinking about switching to Unreal Engine. (Would be awesome to compile that sucker and play it "properly". "Properly" meaning on a console)

FusionGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless I am misinterpreting you in some way, I don't think that means what you think it means...

Open Source would be code that is available to anyone to edit or compile as they wish.
Elmoemo seems to be suggesting that running unsigned code, even in a userland environment, is still easily capable of opening a lot of back doors eventually.
I don't see the relevance?

Open Source is somewhat like "unverified code". It's just code that someone or a team has written and then put out into the world without being verified by an "App Store".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, made a new one