Hacking Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition problem. Please help!!

dreamcatcher18

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I have successfully burned over 30 Wii games, however, I have wasted over 10 discs on burning Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition. I downloaded all the RE4 ISO files available from both piratebay and mininova, but I still couldn't find one that would work on my Wii. On the NTSC versions, I could get to the title screen, but after I clicked "New Game", the screen would turn black. On the PAL versions, I could start the game, but when I got to the first gate and pressed "A" to open it, the screen would turn black.

My Wii is a 3.2J, modded (D2Pro, I think), Homebrew Channel installed with Backup Launcher. I use Verbatim - DVD and burn iso with ImgBurn 4x.
I had tried burning RE4 with 2x, 4x, 8x, Verbatim -, Mitsubishi - and Imation -, but to no avail.

Could it be because my Wii is missing a particular IOS (or cIOS) hence I'm having trouble with RE4? Is there any specific IOS needed to play RE4?

I want this game very much and I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out.
Thanks in advance.

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
i had a japanese wii too

i changed to ntsc u

but before that RE:4 worked on japan firmware quite perfectly

sorry but i dunno what the problem

maybe its your modchip?

my mod was a cheap un-updateble stupid one, but the game plays good, so i doubt its that

dreamcatcher18

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
jan777 said:
i had a japanese wii too

i changed to ntsc u

but before that RE:4 worked on japan firmware quite perfectly

sorry but i dunno what the problem

maybe its your modchip?

my mod was a cheap un-updateble stupid one, but the game plays good, so i doubt its that

Thanks for your reply.

dreamcatcher18

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Vidboy10 said:
=O A nother guy from Hong Kong!

But anyways, have youve tried loading the game with USB loader?

You think using the USB Loader could solve the problem? Whick USB Loader would you recommend? v1.5?

dreamcatcher18

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
bowser said:
It's probably a region issue. You can consider getting the Jap version of RE4 (I think its called BioHazard). Or you can patch the language of the game to force english. Or you can change your Wii to NTSC-U (like I did).

I don't think it is a region issue because of the 30+ games I successfully burned, they are either NTSC-U or PAL. You don't think it is an IOS issue?
How do you change a Wii from NTSC-J to NTSC-U?

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try forcing the english language with gecko OS or something on the disk first. For the NTSC version. don't force a video mode at all. If that doesn't work try forcing NTSC. if that still doesn't work then I doubt the USB loader will work any better.... it's either a bad image or a language/video compatability issue.

Though frankly I highly advise using the USB loader if you have a hard drive to use. The USB loader is faster than the disk drive any day for any game that works. Compatability is high and a large number of hard drives work. The loader is also able to force language and video mode as well as work with ocarina and such so I would advise using either the latest from Waninkoko or using one of the excelent modded versions of it from one of the users here. there are many options to choose from.

dreamcatcher18

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Hells Guardian said:
Try forcing the english language with gecko OS or something on the disk first. For the NTSC version. don't force a video mode at all. If that doesn't work try forcing NTSC. if that still doesn't work then I doubt the USB loader will work any better.... it's either a bad image or a language/video compatability issue.

Though frankly I highly advise using the USB loader if you have a hard drive to use. The USB loader is faster than the disk drive any day for any game that works. Compatability is high and a large number of hard drives work. The loader is also able to force language and video mode as well as work with ocarina and such so I would advise using either the latest from Waninkoko or using one of the excelent modded versions of it from one of the users here. there are many options to choose from.

I'd already tried forcing NTSC with Backup Launcher. but still black screen when I tried to start the game. I downloaded 5 different ISO from 5 different sources thus I doubt they're all bad. Moreover, people had left positive feedback on those ISO.

I gathered that I'd need to upgrade cIOS36 to rev 10 for USB Loader to work. Is this upgrade compatible with Backup Launcher because I heard stories regarding Backup Launcher failure after upgrade to cIOS36 rev 10?
I can get Backup Launcher to work, but not Gecko OS to run backup games. Do I need some specific cIOS installed to get Gecko OS to run backup games?

You don't think my RE4 issue is due to my Wii missing some ISO or cISO?

dreamcatcher18

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Anyone has any suggestion or advice?
unsure.gif

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Vidboy10 said:
Go to my tread called "List Of USB Loaders" and download USB Loader GX. its the most compatible right now so try that.
I'm using that one as well, and it's compatible with RE4 (copied it from the original DVD).

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
dreamcatcher18 said:
[...]
I can get Backup Launcher to work, but not Gecko OS to run backup games. Do I need some specific cIOS installed to get Gecko OS to run backup games?

Modchip + Gecko OS should play most games. Exceptions are only games with special requirements, like animal crossing(IOS38), 002 error, import games, Rock Band(IOS37 for usb instruments).

Get SoftChip, turn the logging on, start the game with SoftChip and a sd card insterted. Look into the logfile under /SotChip/ on your sd card, look what IOS is requested by the game. And then extract that IOS from the game disc with either wufe(look at WiiBrew for it) or Trucha Signer/WiiScrubber. And then remove that IOS first with WAD Manager and then directly install it without exiting WAD Manager between both. If the game still doesn't work in disc channel, SoftChip set to the IOS requested by the game, Gecko OS 1.07b and Gecko OS 1.9, then you know it's either a hardware failure of the drive or your chip is crap.

PS: Force the language in the loaders to the language the game has

dreamcatcher18

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
WiiPower said:
dreamcatcher18 said:
[...]

Modchip + Gecko OS should play most games. Exceptions are only games with special requirements, like animal crossing(IOS38), 002 error, import games, Rock Band(IOS37 for usb instruments).

Get SoftChip, turn the logging on, start the game with SoftChip and a sd card insterted. Look into the logfile under /SotChip/ on your sd card, look what IOS is requested by the game. And then extract that IOS from the game disc with either wufe(look at WiiBrew for it) or Trucha Signer/WiiScrubber. And then remove that IOS first with WAD Manager and then directly install it without exiting WAD Manager between both. If the game still doesn't work in disc channel, SoftChip set to the IOS requested by the game, Gecko OS 1.07b and Gecko OS 1.9, then you know it's either a hardware failure of the drive or your chip is crap.

PS: Force the language in the loaders to the language the game has

Thanks for your reply. I'll try the method you suggested.
However, I'd like to know, which cISO is needed for Gecko OS to run backups? My Backup Launcher is running fine, but my Gecko OS is not loading any backups.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
dreamcatcher18 said:
[...]
However, I'd like to know, which cISO is needed for Gecko OS to run backups? My Backup Launcher is running fine, but my Gecko OS is not loading any backups.

Then you have severe IOS problems, or most likely your chip isn't working.

dreamcatcher18

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
WiiPower said:
dreamcatcher18 said:
[...]

Then you have severe IOS problems, or most likely your chip isn't working.

My Wii can load 30+ backups without the use of Backup Launcher, hence I think my chip is working fine. Are you saying since Backup Launcher is working, so should Gecko OS?
I've installed Gecko 1.8.0.2. I'd perhaps try a different version...
unsure.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ptLqnNMcQk