Hacking Request: Make all daughterboard checks return false positives

Dyxlesci

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TL;DR: Under certain circumstances, the wii runs checks to make sure the disc drive, bluetooth, and wifi cards are still present. Can someone make a hack that will make all checks return a positive?

Hello again, Dyx here back from ModRetro. I have been spending quite a bit of time working on the wii hardware over the past few months, in attempt to shrink it down to the minimum size possible.

The biggest hindrance is that the console will not work fully without the three daughter boards: Wifi, Bluetooth, and Disc Drive. They are not necessary for the hardware of the wii to run, but software prevents the console from being used when boards are not present.

For example, Gamecube Games will load through nintendon't without a disc drive board, while wii and virtual console games will not. Some homrbrew software will load without the cards attached. Would anyone be willing to change this so the system will not lock up when the cards are installed?

If its risky and you are concerned about bricking your wii, I would be more than happy to send a console or 2 to whoever is capable of figuring this out. I know nothing about software, but I know that if anyone can do it, it would be someone on GBATemp.

Y'all's software mods make our hardware mods possible.
Thanks,
Dyx

Dyxlesci

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamecube controller will allow full control through homebrew. Zenloc and I are working on hardware alternatives, but a software solution would be a HUGE deal and change the portablizing scene. We are both hardware guys, and know little to nothing about software. Really awesome, capible, efficient, and of course small portables can be made if/once this is implemented.

If you think those gamecube portables were cool... You have no idea what's possible with the Wii.

Dyxlesci

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless its a problem, I will continue to bump this thread until someone capable of helping can see it. If it is a problem, let me know and I will stop

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You would likely need to either patch ios, or patch the app itself, or both. This has been an issue for a long time and I've never seen anyone try to fix it. I would think it would be possible, but I don't think any of the people you would need are very active in the wii anymore. Dolphin emu makes it work, so it must be possible. Perhaps no one has bothered to try. You would need a usbgecko I believe. It should be a very similar read and patch for every app that fails this way.

Reactions: Dyxlesci and cearp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back