• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Rep. Urges Democratic Party Removed for Historically Supporting Racism

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't agree increasing the Minimum wage would be a good thing; in fact economics seems to point that increasing the wage would hurt those that you are trying to help. The only one who should decide the vaule of your labor is the market. Labors are priced according to their skilled, the more value your skills can bring to the table, the higher they are paid.
Over 70% of available jobs in the US are in the service industry, so there's a notable lack of opportunity in addition to the lack of respect and appreciation for those who work in essential positions. To continue functioning as a country we need firefighters, garbage men, and grocery store clerks. We don't need health insurance middlemen, day traders, and social media influencers. I'll give you one guess as to which group makes exponentially more money.

Basically, it's a matter of priorities and what we as a society choose to value most. Corona has put even more of a spotlight on the fact that America's priorities are ass-backwards compared to other first-world nations.

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as there are two people left on the planet, someone is gonna want someone dead.
As for the economy, would you mind reading about the development of civilization?

I think you dodged the question(s), though. You are correct, there will always be conflict, but keep in mind there are still rules you need to abide by in a commune ('contracts' as some people call them) you can't just do _anything_ with no consequence, anarchy isn't the absence of rules - it's something enforced by everyone in the community you live.

The question still remains, WHY and HOW would it develop to feudalism? There would be so many layers to prevent something from it from re-occurring (ideally any, for instance factory, will be a co-op/unionized/whatever). There is a reason a slogan to anarchism is 'no gods, no masters' and I'd bet you all of my personal possessions if feudalism were to somehow arise, communes and individuals are not going to go down without a fight because you would have to convince a huge majority of people that serving some lord to have their needs met is not going to fly. The why is also an important question - why would this occur in a post-scarcity (which we are already at) society where everyones needs are met allow it to happen?

Since you told me to read about 'the development of civilization', I think you might benefit from reading theory too ('Anarchism and Other Essays' by Emma Goldman, Conquest of Bread and Mutual Aid by Peter Kropotkin)/other stuff (Anarchy Works by Peter Gelderloos is a good one) if you haven't to gain a better understanding/perspective than some random dude you are talking to on some random gaming forum.

This is from ancom/syndicalist point of view though - anprims specifically I think would have a harder time with this.

Reactions: Seliph

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Over 70% of available jobs in the US are in the service industry, so there's a notable lack of opportunity in addition to the lack of respect and appreciation for those who work in essential positions. To continue functioning as a country we need firefighters, garbage men, and grocery store clerks. We don't need health insurance middlemen, day traders, and social media influencers. I'll give you one guess as to which group makes exponentially more money.

Basically, it's a matter of priorities and what we as a society choose to value most. Corona has put even more of a spotlight on the fact that America's priorities are ass-backwards compared to other first-world nations.

I can agree with the lack of lack of respect and appreciation for those who work in essential positions. If you are speaking about covid yeah that was a meme from the beginning in order to get people to buy into the idea of a lock-down.

Store clerks are going away from what I can tell. Have you been to a walmart and seen how many self-check outs there are? No idea if robots will take over firefighters, garbage men, I'd say yes given enough time.

Blame government over-regulations for health insurance middlemen being a thing. I think we can both agree the entire health system in the USA needs to be fixed (though I'm sure we have different ideas on what "fix" means)

As for jobs like day traders, and social media influencers. Ech; the market has decided the value of these workers. People are willing to pay this much sooooooo ech?

Not sure what you mean by your last part though. Ass-backwards?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Not sure what you mean by your last part though. Ass-backwards?
Let me put it this way: we don't pay minimum wage for the positions that actually require minimal effort. Minimum wage jobs in the US are among the most demanding, and I can personally attest to that from having worked a few of those positions when I was younger. Unfortunately, as I said before, opportunities outside the service industry have continued to decline, so there's been a notable increase in the number of middle-aged and elderly workers settling for minimum wage jobs like McDonald's. Everybody should be pissed that they don't pay a living wage to their employees, because everybody ends up footing the welfare bill via their taxes. You can't very well blame the workers for decisions made on the executive level.

Contrast that with Scandinavian countries which ensure living wages for all their workers AND have a strong social safety net to boot. They have practically no homelessness, and their workers are both happier and healthier than ours on average.

Last edited by Xzi,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rep. Louie Gohmert, a Texas Republican, has tested positive for coronavirus, a person familiar with the situation told CNN on Wednesday.

Gohmert has frequently refused to wear a mask while at the Capitol amid the pandemic. He has spent ample time on the House floor during votes speaking to aides and lawmakers — without a mask or social distancing. His office did not respond to multiple requests for comment.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/29/politics/louie-gohmert-tests-positive-coronavirus/index.html

Reactions: CallmeBerto

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
The correct minimum wage is $0.
You should have seen the discussion in Germany where it was recently raised - all industry and private business advocates raised hell for weeks how much worse it would be and how many jobs would be lost, and then it came to be and - nothing, no impact on job creation, no structural bankruptcies, simply a little reallocation from the rich to the poor. Small and medium enterprises had more business, everyone was happy.

Odd how that stuff works.. :)

Last edited by notimp,

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
every company want minimal weight on payrolls, so they'll keep claiming each time that increasing minimum wage would mean so many lost jobs etc, but truth is, if normal people can't afford living a normal life it kills sales later on for these companies. minimum wage shouldn't be more than enough to live a basic life, it should really mean minimum, but it should also be a standard that everyone can have. this will increase value for the enviroment people lifie in, so it increases the market for living space.
each person should have the right to get enough hours of work (i'd say 40 hours a week on minimum wage) to actually have a life.
that doesn't mean tv, stereo and ps5 have to be in range though.
just a save roof to live under, food (not just burgers and fries) and water should do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo