Apple Removing DRM Protection From Purchases

metamaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can't get any songs that I bought off iTunes to play on other MP3 devices because of the DRM protection (Fairplay).
Does anyone know of a program or a method that can remove it?

auser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might give doubletwist a whirl? Its from the guy who broke dvd's drm
tongue.gif

http://download.doubletwist.com/doubleTwistSetup.exe

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
You could try to use Requiem (requires Java... type "tag3ulp55xczs3pn" into Google) and iTunes 10.0. (You'll also need to delete the FairPlay keys already on your computer, so iTunes 10.0 can make a set of keys Requiem can use... this is pretty complex, I know.)

Or shell out the extra 30¢ (per song) for iTunes Plus.
rolleyes.gif

NOTE: Don't use Requiem for piracy. You'll be stupid if you do so.

metamaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for all the suggestions, but I finally decided to try Dialexio's thing, looks like what I need.

Dialexio said:
You could try to use Requiem (requires Java... type "tag3ulp55xczs3pn" into Google) and iTunes 10.0. (You'll also need to delete the FairPlay keys already on your computer, so iTunes 10.0 can make a set of keys Requiem can use... this is pretty complex, I know.)

NOTE: Don't use Requiem for piracy. You'll be stupid if you do so.

I found the program, and a bunch of odd things happened... First of all, it wouldn't accept .m4a, but changing the extension to .m4p made it work. I tried it with one song, and it said it that it produced a new .m4a file, but it wasn't there. Also, how exactly do I delete my FairPlay keys? I imagine this has something to do with my problem.
And don't worry, I won't use this for piracy (most of my music isn't from iTunes
wink.gif
)

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
(Both of the following directories are hidden.)
For Windows XP, the directory to delete is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\SC Info\.
For Windows Vista/7, the keys are found at C:\ProgramData\Apple Computer\iTunes\SC Info\.

Then, you'll need to uninstall iTunes, since you need to downgrade to 10.0 (be sure to back up your iTunes library, in case it gets corrupted!). (32-bit, 64-bit)

Once you have iTunes 10.0 installed, try to open a protected song. It should ask for your Apple ID and password, because it needs to fetch the keys again. When the song's playing, that means Requiem should be able to decrypt the song.

When the songs decrypt fine, you can upgrade once more to 10.1.1, and restore your iTunes library.
smile.gif
Hope I didn't lose you in that!
wacko.gif

And before someone asks about it... Requiem does not remove the DRM found on IPAs (or rented videos).

metamaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Jamstruth said:
There's always the easy way. Burn to a CD-RW then re-rip. Suddenly, you've got a copy of the song with no DRM.

I hear that doing so either ruins the quality, or makes the file a lot bigger...

QUOTE(CannonFoddr @ Jan 26 2011, 07:39 AM) I had similar problem with my Nokia 'Comes-with-music' DRM music - I really wanted copies of the tunes in the car, so I tried (& finally brought) 'Tunebite'
Thanks, but I'm looking for a free tool that actually decrypts my files.

@Dialexio: I deleted my FairPlay keys and downgraded to iTunes 10, but now, I can't open iTunes: "The file "iTunes Library.itl" could not be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes". I can play songs with QuickTime, but it doesn't ask for my Apple ID. And Requiem still doesn't decrypt my songs... Any ideas?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If your files are .m4a, they don't have DRM AFAIK. DRM'd files are .m4p (the "p" presumably standing for "protected" or something similar) I believe. To the best of my knowledge, iTunes stopped their policy of selling music with DRM a year or two ago. So unless you bought the music long ago, it doesn't have DRM, it just isn't in the correct format.

Which is a slight issue, because AAC (codec used in .m4a/.m4p files) is a "lossy" codec, as is MP3. This means that converting from AAC to MP3 will murder any quality in the files, and probably make your songs unbearable.

In other words, there may be no (good) way to convert the files to a format playable on a generic MP3 playing device
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sorry I sat on them when they were open
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: So that version is semi rare