ROM Hack [RELEASED] Blood of Bahamut English Patch

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried applying the patch. I get a 0byte rom, no "file has been successfully patched" or anything. How long do I need to wait?

Aaron Chmielowiec

Wielder of the 4 sacred cheeses
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
drakorex> Be careful of what ROM you are using as the source for patching. The "Scene Release" one is the one you should be using. There are a few different dumps out there, it seems.

Edit> Yep, that looks right.

For everyone else, this is only a patch as in what I am distributing is changed bytes only. I did include the puzzle solutions and the XDelta GUI patcher but if that is a problem I can remove them (and redraw the sealed slate solutions by hand)

Aaron Chmielowiec

Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
You assume the worst. We'll see, legally the actual patch is fine and dandy; no horrible Squeenix bits in there; just the changed bytes that I made myself. Their only legal footings are the slate solution image(s), but they published their own artwork publicly so others could find out about the extra content anyway; that's how their "unlock" system worked. Unlike the FF-Type 0 "patch" I'm not distributing the whole game along with it.

Reactions: Densetsu

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You assume the worst. We'll see, legally the actual patch is fine and dandy; no horrible Squeenix bits in there; just the changed bytes that I made myself. Their only legal footings are the slate solution image(s), but they published their own artwork publicly so others could find out about the extra content anyway; that's how their "unlock" system worked. Unlike the FF-Type 0 "patch" I'm not distributing the whole game along with it.

The patch contains translated text from the original. The text has a copyright. Just like you couldn't legally distribute a translation of Harry Potter, you can't legally distribute a patch which contains a translation of someone's video game text, either.

Reactions: Aaron Chmielowiec

Aaron Chmielowiec

Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
If they want to fight me on those grounds when the English text is only viewable anyway if you own the original game and apply the patch, let them. Just like they also should know (and Konami learned after years of threatening me over Bemani related info) that using the law as a means of harassment is called barratry and is illegal, even in this country.

Besides, if every publisher attacked every fan translation ever, there would be no translation projects ever. Anime gets fan subbed and dubbed, too. Does that mean no fan subs or dubs exist? What about strategy guides. There are unofficial ones on sale in physical form and faqs online that also contain the story in some cases.

I get your point, yeah, but we'll see if Squeenix even bothers. There are unlicensed translations used here in Japan too, though, for what it is worth.

But I'm rambling again...anyway, thanks for your comments. It's good food for thought. You're right. I just wondering if they'll even bother in this case. Some companies are cool with this sort of thing but yeah, Squeenix. I remember when booth staff tackled a guy with a camera in another booth when they though he was taking pictures of their display area. (Tokyo Game Show, 2010)

Reactions: Densetsu

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Here are the seal/slate solutions, redone from actual in-game screenshots. They're also up on the first post.

These are meant to replace the images that are included with the patch.
Slate #1
pLBdI6M.jpg

Slate #2
4Y8uXaY.jpg

Slate #3
itkWZzV.jpg

Slate #4
xfEwHDW.jpg

Slate #5
187Ewpy.jpg

Slate #6
OjfXvXk.jpg

Slate #7
wlyuYWB.jpg

Slate #8
5nB5ofD.jpg

Slate #9
c7EYMfx.jpg

Slate #10
tIoxxTO.jpg

Reactions: GHANMI

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
That's freakin' awesome. The game looks interesting. How come they didn't released this on the west?
I'm gonna play this one as I've been looking for a nice RPG to play. :)
Thanks for that epic translation. :D You guys are awesome!

Patuli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thanks for your hardwork Aaron, I need some free time to play this game.
Congratulations to all the team involved on this release!
p.s. I hope the ending is corrected in the future.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Ooh, that's much nicer. If you want I can swap out what I had with those images you made later tonight...
Sure, that would be cool. I just noticed that they're a bit larger in filesize than the ones you've already included in the patch. Not sure if saving them as JPGs will help, but I'll give it a try. If that doesn't work, it's not a big deal. I'm all for making the download package a little larger if it means the content is of higher quality.

*EDIT*
I've re-posted the images as JPGs, which cuts the total size almost in half (and it's now smaller than even the original images included in the patch).

How come they didn't released this on the west?
It didn't sell very well in Japan, unfortunately.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Awesome! I remember playing this when it was released, but conveniently forgot that it was japanese and have been searching for the game up and down for the last couple of weeks. What a nice surprise. :) Thanks a lot, going to try this out tonight.

EDIT:
For now this is PC-only since XDelta is so picky, but I'll work on a Mac patch like I did with RGC2.
What's wrong with xdelta on OSX? Shouldn't it just work like on Windows, given that it's a tool from the Unix world?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.techradar.com/gaming/consoles-pc/ayns-new-gaming-handheld-looks-like-a-psp-and-it-mig...