Homebrew [Release] Inject any app into Health & Safety (O3DS/N3DS/CFW only)

• Thread starter d0k3
  • Start date
  • Views 240,406
  • Replies 527
  • Likes 40

hamnay

Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
hello can you advise me?in the end of the part 4a i don't find bigbluemenu app.I found 3 black apps that doesn't work on the home menu.

BDS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
And, @BDS , If you know how to do it (with NAND XORpad and 3DSFAT16Tool), I suggest you dump the Health & Safety app from your backup and inject it back, then try again from the start. Information on how to find Health & Safety is found here. Also, do you have more information? Tried anything with rxTools?
  1. I dumped my NAND (using EMUNAND9 but I guess I could have had the same result with DECRYPT9).
  2. I dumped original hs.app and generated FBI .app
  3. I injected FBI (with banner, as suggested) into H&S.
  4. I ran PastaCFW (browserhax entry) to install FBI and HB_Launcher's CIAs.
  5. I injected back the original hs.app (hopefully the inject generator didn't change anything in the input folder).
  6. I tried rebooting, noticed the behavior of H&S icon depending on SD inserted or not on boot.
  7. I came here for help :P
I didn't try anything with rxTools on that o3DS yet (planned to, but preferred to get that icon thing fixed before). I'm going through the 3DSFAT16Tool thread...

Last edited by BDS,

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
  1. I dumped my NAND (using EMUNAND9 but I guess I could have had the same result with DECRYPT9).
  5. I injected back the original hs.app (hopefully the inject generator didn't change anything in the input folder).
  6. I tried rebooting, noticed the behavior of H&S icon depending on SD inserted or not on boot.
I didn't try anything with rxTools on that o3DS yet (planned to, but preferred to get that icon thing fixed before). I'm going through the 3DSFAT16Tool thread...
If you just injected the original one back, everything should be fine now. As long as you didn't mess anything up ;). It sometimes takes a few reboots untill icon / banner is back to normal. An inserted SD card, though, should have nothing to do with it.

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what you're trying to achieve is getting your original H&S back? If so you can get the CIA of your region and system version from an update pack and just reinstall it with FBI or something, it isn't too hard to figure it out if you go to 3dbrew.org and look at the system software section, find H&S's tidhigh and tidlow then the CIA should be tidhightidlow.cia in the update pack that corresponds to your system version and region :)

BDS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Actually the H&S app (executable part) was restored (I could launch it) but somehow it still had the FBI icon, but only when the 3DS was booted with its SD. It was like something on the extdata folder made it have the FBI icon, since I rebooted many times and I had the consistent result of SD-out => original H&S icon; SD-in => FBI icon. It's only after I tried playing with files in extdata and the console decided to generate home menu files all over again (replacing every existing file) that the "problem" disappeared.

Reactions: Syphurith and d0k3

thegameksk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Newbie here. Is there a tutorial for this? I have no idea how to do the steps that were mentioned on the first page. How do I dump hs.app?

Last edited by thegameksk,

raylgo

Trophies
XP
Country
I think all of you have the same problem, as @Shadowtrance & @dark_samus3 have already pointed out. I'd like to replace the CTRtool in this package with one that actually works for everyone, but I can't test as I'm on a 64-bit system. Could you try the one from here and tell me if it works?

It says that I can't install the application ctrtool on this computer... Does this have something to do with being on a 32 bit system? I might have to kiss this goodbye until I can borrow a newer laptop

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It says that I can't install the application ctrtool on this computer... Does this have something to do with being on a 32 bit system? I might have to kiss this goodbye until I can borrow a newer laptop
Did you download the newest version of this package? It should work on 32bit systems now as well.

Sterling123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi i have tried for 2 hours i dumped has put it in the injector put fbi.cia in there used the gui to inject it. Then injected it with a banner and injected it into emu nand I have tried countless times can you pleease help.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi i have tried for 2 hours i dumped has put it in the injector put fbi.cia in there used the gui to inject it. Then injected it with a banner and injected it into emu nand I have tried countless times can you pleease help.
You need to give more information other than for how long you have tried it. For starters... (1) make sure you read the instructions correctly, (2) use teh most recent version of Decrypt9WIP (my signature).

hmp22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Followed the instructions carefully and everything appeared to work okay in decrypt9, but ran into problems afterwards. I first injected the banner version into my emunand H&S. The H&S icon was present in emunand, but I got "an error has occurred" when I launched it. I then tried the no-banner version, and now the icon is missing entirely. So I tried injecting my original, hoping to at least revert back to normal. Unfortunately the icon is still missing.

Any idea what might have gone wrong, and how I can get the H&S icon back? Or am I boned and have to reformat my emunand?

N3DSXL + Gateway 10.3 emunand if that's relevant.

edit: I realized that I could just use the .3ds version of FBI through the Gateway menu, and then I used that to install the .cia version. So I have FBI now, but I'm still missing Health & Safety. Should I worry about it at this point?

edit2: So after transferring over my backed up pre-downgrade files to my new emunand (so I can still play the games I legitimately owned before downgrading), I got my old version of Health & Safety back anyway. So I guess it's more of a moot point now, although I would still be interested in any answers for curiosity's sake and to improve my understanding of what went wrong.

Last edited by hmp22,

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Followed the instructions carefully and everything appeared to work okay in decrypt9, but ran into problems afterwards. I first injected the banner version into my emunand H&S. The H&S icon was present in emunand, but I got "an error has occurred" when I launched it. I then tried the no-banner version, and now the icon is missing entirely. So I tried injecting my original, hoping to at least revert back to normal. Unfortunately the icon is still missing.

Any idea what might have gone wrong, and how I can get the H&S icon back? Or am I boned and have to reformat my emunand?

N3DSXL + Gateway 10.3 emunand if that's relevant.

edit: I realized that I could just use the .3ds version of FBI through the Gateway menu, and then I used that to install the .cia version. So I have FBI now, but I'm still missing Health & Safety. Should I worry about it at this point?

edit2: So after transferring over my backed up pre-downgrade files to my new emunand (so I can still play the games I legitimately owned before downgrading), I got my old version of Health & Safety back anyway. So I guess it's more of a moot point now, although I would still be interested in any answers for curiosity's sake and to improve my understanding of what went wrong.
That sounds an awful lot like you forgot about signature patching / CFW. However, this was on EmuNAND, so signatures should be patched... My next advice would have been to try a CFW instead of GW, but that seems to late. Also, note that 10.3 EmuNANDs are still fairly new, so you are one of the first few to try this (I will try myself later though).

Did you dump the hs.app with Decrypt9WIP, from the same EmuNAND, on the same FW version?

hmp22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That sounds an awful lot like you forgot about signature patching / CFW. However, this was on EmuNAND, so signatures should be patched... My next advice would have been to try a CFW instead of GW, but that seems to late. Also, note that 10.3 EmuNANDs are still fairly new, so you are one of the first few to try this (I will try myself later though).

Did you dump the hs.app with Decrypt9WIP, from the same EmuNAND, on the same FW version?
I did, yes. I first dumped my own, then generated the .apps using the GUI fork of the inject generator. I then tried to inject the banner version, which showed up on the home screen, but gave "an error has occurred" when I attempted to open it. After the system rebooted following that error, the icon was gone. At that point I tried injecting the no-banner version. Icon failed to reappear. Finally, my friend who was helping me with the process sent me a .app that he generated and used successfully. Same result after injecting that, no icon. At this point I injected my backup of the original Health & Safety app. Once again, no icon.

The only thing I can think of that might have caused the issue is that I had placed the Health & Safety app inside a folder called "Bullshit", which is generally what I do with all the pre-installed software (such as Activity Log, Miiverse Plaza, Health & Safety, etc.) as I like to reduce the clutter on the home screen. Is there any chance the process would fail if Health & Safety was inside a folder?

For what it's worth though, my friend who told me about this tool successfully used it on the exact same setup as me - 9.2 sysnand N3DSXL downgraded from 10.3 --> 10.3 Gateway emunand. So it's most likely something I screwed up as opposed to any type of incompatibility. (Although, he later admitted that he didn't think of just using the .3ds version of FBI via the Gateway menu, which we both agreed is probably the easier method.)

Last edited by hmp22,

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant to get back sooner, work pretty much took over my whole week. after trying the newer version of the tool, im confident that the problem is somewhere on my side. (it didnt work) i'll just start over from my nand backup, and this time i'll remember to inject fbi before setting up emunand. thanks for the help though, i really appreciate it.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. "2.Get hs.app from the root of your 3DS SD card and put it plus as many homebrew CIAs as you like into the "input" folder of the Universal Inject Generator."
"put it plus as many homebrew CIAs as you like into the "input" folder of the Universal Inject Generator."

"plus as many homebrew CIAs as you like " "into the "input" folder "

wait what? this makes no sense , you can only inject one .cia into H&S app right
how can you inject multiple cia into H&S at once?, and why would you want to?
if you put your hs.app and a bunch of different .cia files into the input folder all at once then how is the injector program going to know which .cia to inject?
it can only inject 1 cia into H&S so why would you ever want to put multiple .cia files in there at the same time? wouldn't that not work at all?

also why is everyone wanting to inject FBI and not devmen or a GUI cia installer?

is devmen or BBM too big for the the injector program by default?

i didnt check the size of other cia installers or the instructions for injecting larger cia's so not sure if it is to avoid doing the extra steps because it other cia installers are jsut too big and because FBI is the biggest cia installer that will work by default without extra steps

Last edited by weatMod,

s3r1alpari4h

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. "2.Get hs.app from the root of your 3DS SD card and put it plus as many homebrew CIAs as you like into the "input" folder of the Universal Inject Generator."
"put it plus as many homebrew CIAs as you like into the "input" folder of the Universal Inject Generator."

"plus as many homebrew CIAs as you like " "into the "input" folder "

wait what? this makes no sense , you can only inject one .cia into H&S app right
how can you inject multiple cia into H&S at once?, and why would you want to?
if you put your hs.app and a bunch of different .cia files into the input folder all at once then how is the injector program going to know which .cia to inject?
it can only inject 1 cia into H&S so why would you ever want to put multiple .cia files in there at the same time? wouldn't that not work at all?

also why is everyone wanting to inject FBI and not devmen or a GUI cia installer?

is devmen or BBM too big for the the injector program by default?

i didnt check the size of other cia installers or the instructions for injecting larger cia's so not sure if it is to avoid doing the extra steps because it other cia installers are jsut too big and because FBI is the biggest cia installer that will work by default without extra steps
I think it will make multiple hs.apps.
Edit: Yeah it makes multiple hs.apps. Just tried it.
Edit2: And you'll have to see about injecting devmenu/bbm. Personally i dont like devmenu/bbm becuase the font is weird af. Hs.app is 900kb for me and FBI.CIA is 847kb. The output hs.app with FBI Injected was 827kb (with banner) assuming without banner is less but that doesn't matter. The input CIA I guess just must be less than or equal to the size of hs.app.

Last edited by s3r1alpari4h,
Reactions: weatMod

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know burnt pizza can be pretty bad
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    gonna download sonic generations to my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    How do you put games on there? Does it have like a game store on the ps3?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Black market store
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, download a pkg file, put it in a usb or a sd card, put the usb or sd card to ps3, turn on ps3hen, go to install game, install the game
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok yea that's same with me, was just curious. Coolio
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao my keyboard decided to randomly die
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its prob your new router interfering w it