Status
Not open for further replies.

pixelmasher

Gaming Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately it looks like there's become this growing stigma around this project. It's rather unfortunate that people are tethering his crime with his project instead of just seeing them as two separate things. I read somewhere back in the thread that he was planning on passing the torch to someone else and I am guessing this trail was because of that. But as of right now, no one is sure if he ever did or even if he did, if that person will pick up the project.
The current code is with a different account, not TheCruel.
https://notabug.org/btucker/freeSho...e=open&labels=0&milestone=0&assignee=0&page=3
You can see he was involved with it 3 months ago. The last commit was 2 months ago.
I never heard of btucker, but I don't know all the devs in 3DS scene, only some big names like Aurora, smea, etc.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
https://notabug.org/btucker/freeSho...e=open&labels=0&milestone=0&assignee=0&page=3
You can see he was involved with it 3 months ago. The last commit was 2 months ago.
I never heard of btucker, but I don't know all the devs in 3DS scene, only some big names like Aurora, smea, etc.
I did see some forks, so I am really hoping one of those forks picks it up.
I also saved the latest code onto my mega. So if worst comes to worse, I can help keep the code alive.

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://github.com/btucker
https://twitter.com/btucker?s=09

That's all I found when I searched Google for "btucker coder".

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys act like it's dead all of a sudden. One, it's open source as stated numerous times. Two, the freeshop servers ARE Nintendo's eShop servers. Third, as long as new titlekeys are added to the titlekey site (that is in no way affiliated with the Cruel OR Freeshop) they will automatically be added to the freeshop cache with the most current version as long as it continues to load the .bin (You might have to manually download updated ones in the future if the freeshop cache fails). You know what that means right? As long as the last CIA file is hosted somewhere freeshop will ALWAYS work. To be quite honest, it really doesn't matter if someone picks up the project as like I said, it loads games from the ones submitted to the title key site and uses the official nintendo servers anyway. I guess if they added new PoC protocols or something it would need an update, but for now all is well. :yay3ds:

Last edited by Majickhat55,

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Uh.... wtf did I miss? TheCruel has been banned (sentenced to jail too?) and people are up in arms about something? Could someone give me a quick rundown of what happened? Not trying to stir drama, just really really confused.

You guys act like it's dead all of a sudden. One, it's open source as stated numerous times. Two, the freeshop servers ARE Nintendo's eShop servers. Third, as long as new titlekeys are added to the titlekey site (that is in no way affiliated with the Cruel OR Freeshop) they will automatically be added to the freeshop cache with the most current version as long as it continues to load the .bin (You might have to manually download updated ones in the future if the freeshop cache fails). You know what that means right? As long as the last CIA file is hosted somewhere freeshop will ALWAYS work. To be quite honest, it really doesn't matter if someone picks up the project as like I said, it loads games from the ones submitted to the title key site and uses the official nintendo servers anyway. I guess if they added new PoC protocols or something it would need an update, but for now all is well. :yay3ds:

Yes, freeShop is open source. The problem is that as far as I know, the database that freeShop uses is in a format we don't know. Meaning that any keys that don't appear in freeShops database are hidden. Given that the 3DS is practically EOL (no major games coming any time soon) it probably won't matter much.

EDIT: Ok. Took the time to read the thread. Here are my thoughts summed up in three, simple words:

What. The. Fuck.

First things first, I think TheCruel should be locked up for what he did. CP is disgusting to me in every shape way and form (not up for discussion to me). Having said that, some people are overreacting a bit. FreeShops code is open source, so if you are really worried, you can just compile the program yourself after a thorough checking on whether or not it contains stuff you are afraid off. Also do note that TheCruel is not the only one who worked on freeShop. It is an open-source project and anyone can contribute to it.

Secondly, some people seem to be confused as to why the database is still updating. Here are my two guesses:
  1. The database is automated, meaning that TheCruel didn't have to do any input to keep it running.
  2. freeShop is currently hosted (both in source and in release location) on a different site by a 'friend' of TheCruel. Maybe that guy keeps the database up-to-date.
Allow me to repeat: I think TheCruel should be locked up for what he did. But I am not going to personally taboo freeShop because of it. Some people might switch to programs like CIAngel, but I do not condemn the project for it's owner.

As a message to TheCruel himself: Good riddance.

Last edited by Ev1l0rd, , Reason: everything below edit is new. -_-

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ok, I think that's enough about discussing TheCruel and what he did. From here on please post about the application in question or don't bother posting.
So going off of this, why don't we focus some of this energy to maintaining, forking, or replacing freeShop.
I do have an idea, someone could just put the freeShop GUI onto CIAngel and get the same results.

Reactions: BL4Z3D247

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
So going off of this, why don't we focus some of this energy to maintaining, forking, or replacing freeShop.
I do have an idea, someone could just put the freeShop GUI onto CIAngel and get the same results.
I think time could better be spend in figuring out the resource (database) format. FreeShop as it is works fine, it's just that we don't know the database format to keep it updated.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think time could better be spend in figuring out the resource (database) format. FreeShop as it is works fine, it's just that we don't know the database format to keep it updated.
We could do that too, again, open source. Someone could actually look at how this stuff is maintained and take it from there.

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Anybody can independently generate the database, its format is not even remotely unknown. Where do people get these ideas?
Oh? Mind explaining how and where? I'm not talking about the titlekey site bin, I'm talking about the image/icon db it downloads each time you boot up freeShop. That code doesn't seem to be on the repository.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
shop-cache on GitHub. It's just a handful of Python scripts.
Ah nice. So then all that needs to happen is that the place where the caches and updates are downloaded from needs to be edited (should be easy enough) and then someone else can host the project, effectively removing TheCruel from it. Since the taboo has already been set, it might be useful to rename the new project to something else (to prevent the oh-so paranoid idiots from losing their shit at the fact that the mods condemned the user but not their tools). How about say... titleShop?

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i hate the buffer rate thing in the freeshop it just makes the downloads fail sometimes would be great if someone could remove it and just have it download like cia angle does

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ah nice. So then all that needs to happen is that the place where the caches and updates are downloaded from needs to be edited (should be easy enough) and then someone else can host the project, effectively removing TheCruel from it. Since the taboo has already been set, it might be useful to rename the new project to something else (to prevent the oh-so paranoid idiots from losing their shit at the fact that the mods condemned the user but not their tools). How about say... titleShop?
Should call it cia angle 2 and

Last edited by SoslanVanWieren,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So do i use something like ciangel for now if i wanna test out new games or is freeshop not getting any new games to try?:unsure:

I suppose i can just scan qr codes with fbi installer to download games but i like having a bunch of downloads placed into queue and waiting. If someone is gonna improve this, please try to add sleep mode downloading like the official eshop. :ninja:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: super monkey ball