Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Canada
bstone-vita

Blake Stone is a fun first person shooter from 1993 that sadly got overshadowed by Doom, which came out the week after its release. It's based on the Wolfenstein engine, but includes many features that would later appear in the Doom engine, such as textured floors and ceilings, interactive map elements such as switches and shootable objects, dimming of distant objects, automap, etc.

BStone is a full-featured port of the original source code. And now it's available on Vita, running smoothly in native resolution widescreen mode.

Available on my Github (search my username, or see my profile on this forum for the link)
Shareware data included with the first prerelease. More info in the README.md

Last edited by 01y,

01y

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Canada
New version out today. Big performance improvement over the pre-release version (usually in the 40s). Only caveat is that having music enabled can lead to crashing, so best to disable it in the menu (if anyone can figure out why, I'd be interested in knowing
icon_e_wink.gif
).

Changelog so far:
  • L is now "use"; -/= in the front
  • Joystick sesitivity adjusted
  • Performance improvement (>20%)
  • HUD no longer drawn over in various circumstances
  • Live Area assets tweaked, -ps shortcut added
  • Heartbeat on by default
  • Elevator button touch location in ui_stretch mode
  • Merge in changes from mainline develop branch up to the current state
  • Initial port to PS Vita

Reactions: Tarmfot and Owenge
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thank you for the release, new button mapping feels great and gameplay is really smooth :)

I still like to lower in_mouse_sensitivity to 1, I tried 0.5 but it reset it to 0 and movement speed was too slow. At '1' movement feels right but turning feels a little fast to me, not by much though, it's very playable.
Tested it on my vita 1000 and 2000, same on both. I think I just prefer lower values than most others...

With v0.1.1 I was having quite frequent crashes in AOG, mostly when changing floors in the elevator. Eventually my save corrupted and started giving https://i.imgur.com/ZQwtDdV.jpg
The corrupt save is about 54KB vs 23KB for an older working one.
Will try playing without music and see how I go. Hopefully someone can assist with the issue, blake stone has some great BGM :)

01y

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Canada
With v0.1.1 I was having quite frequent crashes in AOG, mostly when changing floors in the elevator. Eventually my save corrupted and started giving https://i.imgur.com/ZQwtDdV.jpg
The corrupt save is about 54KB vs 23KB for an older working one.
Will try playing without music and see how I go. Hopefully someone can assist with the issue, blake stone has some great BGM :)

Should help! If you encounter any crashes with the music off, and without ever having exited the app with the PS button or gone into sleep mode during the session, let me know. As far as I know, those are the causes of every crash I have observed.

Reactions: Count Duckula

01y

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Canada
New Version now available.

https://github.com/01y/bstone-vita/releases

The 0.3 release improves the controls. Adding in a previous/ next weapon function, and a Joystick Sensitivity slider (default speed should be pretty close to native keyboard controls), now Blake Stone can be played with all the modern FPS amenities
icon_e_wink.gif
. The crashing issue from the previous version has been fixed. No significant observed deficiencies with the port are left as of this version. As with other homebrew on the Vita, pressing the home button or going into sleep mode can lead to memory corruption upon returning to the still-running game, so I would avoid doing that (save before, and close and relaunch after).

changes:
  • Update source to upstream version 1.1.13
  • Prev/next weapon functions added (top area of touchscreen and "O")
  • Joystick sensitivity adjustable in-game
  • Sound volume menu cosmetic fix
  • X and O buttons function in expected way in menu
  • Fix sporadic crashes when music is enabled & other out of memory errors
  • No fadein tearing
  • In elevator, fade out from viewport instead of messagebox

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@ 01y : Bump, I am very late, sorry. Hope you are still here. I was not know you have a own topic here on gbatemp, so I was open a second one, I am stupid.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/shadow-warrior-blake-stone-pc-ports-informations.605057/

I have a small problem, the elevator dont work with the PS3 controller with PSTV. Can you please Fix it ? Love this game and million thanks for your work ! The mission Pack works fine, since there is no elevator.

HandsomeJack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@ 01y : Bump, I am very late, sorry. Hope you are still here. I was not know you have a own topic here on gbatemp, so I was open a second one, I am stupid.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/shadow-warrior-blake-stone-pc-ports-informations.605057/

I have a small problem, the elevator dont work with the PS3 controller with PSTV. Can you please Fix it ? Love this game and million thanks for your work ! The mission Pack works fine, since there is no elevator.
Installing reVita and using the setting to emulate a PS4 controller may work around this problem.

Reactions: peter8

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@ HandsomeJack : no, it needs a full touch panal, the PS3 controller dont have it. I understand the reason, but a Fix for that would help me more.

@ SuperDan : yeah you miss something, its long out. Love this game.

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Final Test :

- 'easy' difficulty, port is mostly perfect in gameplay and textures, music works fine, the controll setting is also good. Save and Load works. No crash.

- 'hardest difficulty Veteran mode, the gameplay and all other stuff is perfect. But mostly the save file gets error in later floors like 6 or 7, the game is still full playable, but save will not work anymore. Tested hardest difficulty on Chapter 1 and 5 and 6, all of them was getting later save file errors.
Anyway the game can be played to the end on the highest diffculty, but single segment only. No crash in gameplay, but the save file can give error and crash.
Also multiple save files will not work. Have no idea for Fix it, but its also not a big deal.

Result : Stay on easy difficulty, when you want to save your game in later floors. Otherwise, mostly perfect ! Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's all just junk to me, i just wanna use my pc in peace, not to be told shit by some AI
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They said that they will also discontinue support for Windows 7, of which I thought they'd already done so.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get use to Linux then
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Go with Linux Mint.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    wget "Microsoft edge.exe"
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I'm using linux mint on my other machine, works decent
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    deltree c:\windows\system32\*.* :tpi:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Why not stick to your other machine, no?
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    my other machine is old, mostly used for just browsing , some multimedia stuff as it's just old
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    some tasks like hacking wii mini consoles
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, You running Windows XP in 2024?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Whore yourself out 12 times for $100 and go buy a pc
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i got xp but running it off usb only, no way ima keep that
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it gets hacked/corrupted if i just leave it online for an hour
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The Russians are after you lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Spill water on it good excuse